Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase horsepower in Jaguar X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Increase horsepower in Jaguar X-Type

This is my first thread on jaguarforums.com

I have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5L, but I'd like to get more power out of it, the only thing I've done to the car since I had it was change the spark plugs, are there any aftermarket parts that could be put on the X-Type to give it more power? at least more then the <200 I'm getting now.

The following users liked this post:
Peter James (12-14-2020)
Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

You could use this

Engine modification bhp Calculator

IMHO other than air intake and maybe changing the rear exhaust boxes, it can be cheaper to get a 3 litre

Peter James (12-14-2020)
Old 08-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Welcome to the forum Zalami.

When you get a moment, stop by our new members area and introduce yourself ==>> New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

As far as getting more power out of the 2.5, the most effective way will be to drop in a 3.0 and have the ECU re-flashed with the 3.0 file.

Other stuff like air filters / intakes, exhaust, all small incremental improvements....

There are also ECU remaps available, but again big $$$'s for small improvements.

Being a 14 year old vehicle (but you don't mention the mileage) i'd say that age/wear has also robbed some power...

Peter James (12-14-2020)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Zalami, when it comes to jaguar specific motor upgrades, you are not going to really find anything out there except for maybe a cold air intake. There are ECU upgrades, but like was mentioned, they are rather pricy.

Now, don't get your feelings down quite yet as your world is actually fairly open as you can get some upgrades by looking for those things that are for the Ford Duratec engine. The block of the engine in our cars is that engine. So, things like headers will bolt on to the car. The big trick will be figuring out where to put the cats after the fact. But, I am sure you can figure that out. So, do some looking for what works on a Duratec engine and then go from there.

Peter James (12-14-2020)
Old 08-12-2014, 03:30 PM

I've been doing a bit of research and see that apparently a lot of people are putting chevy engines into older xjs and xks, can it be done to my X-Type?

Old 08-12-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Anything can be done if you are willing to spend the money. And something like that would take a good amount of it and a lot of custom fabrication. I kind of get the impression you are looking for a bolt on swap. Not even close. Also keep in mind the X-Type is AWD which adds a whole different element to it. The X isn't like an older XJ.

As part of your research surf around here on the forum in the X-Type section and look at some of the questions people have asked through the years about performance modifications. You are certainly not the first. Not trying to burst your bubble as what you are thinking would be really cool, but for the time and money you would spend you would be better off buying a different car. As someone else mentioned, probably the most cost effective way to increase your performance would be to buy an X with the 3.0 liter and manual transmission.

Peter James (12-14-2020)
Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

We all either have the Duratec 25 or 30 all be it with a few changes from the kind guys in Jaguar.
I was wondering if we could switch out for a Duratec 35 from a Taurus or explorer.
Just thinking out loud guys I am sure it wont be a straight swap just wondering how much work it would be.
also expanding on that thought would the trans and transfer case fit say from a Fusion AWD
will have to do some research on this unless someone else has done it.
Or have i just poked the proverbial hornets nest......

Old 08-12-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

The ford version of the duratec 25 and 30 dont make more power than eh jag version, they are just about the same, so there really wouldn't be a benefit in swapping one in, and the duratec 35 is pretty different and it would be easier just to bore out the jag 3.0 to a 3.5, or even a 4.0. I've seen a company that sells 4.0 duratec blocks made from 3.0 blocks. Then you might as well port the heads while you are at it, but then, with all that, you will probably need a stand alone computer management, or a piggy back system maybe. As for the fusion trans, the awd versions are all automatic and I doubt the jaguar computer could hook up to the fusions trans, some, if not all, of the transfer cases are also electronically controlled too, something the jag computer can't do. The contour and cougar guys have added turbo and gotten up to 400+ hp from them, but they don't have to worry about the transfer case, and the computer can actually be tuned, I haven't found a company that can tune the x type, not in the US anyway. Its not that the engines can't make the power, its things around it that are holding it back, like the ECU and supposedly the transfer case. To be fair though, who here has actually tried? No one. There was one guy in the UK with a supercharger, but I've only see one article about it, and it doesn't really say much, and he had access to one of the few companies, all in the UK, that could tune it.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Thank you Justink saved me a lot of time hunting specs.

was actually on the Mazda forum today looking at how some of the guys over there have supercharged and twin turbo`d the Mazda 6 with the duratec 30
But if memory serves there compression ratio is less then our cats.
I have also seen that we can bore out to 3.3 with little to no problems just have to increase injector size in some cases as the engine tended to run lean with the larger bore. nice to know we can go up to a 4.0
but that does bring up the question of the Transmission and transfer case and weather they could handle the extra torque/Power.
have not seen any test numbers, and the train of thought is these are the weak links in our power train.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Paul, if you do some more searching you will find discussions about the TC being the weak link in adding more horse power. There have been a few discussions about strengthening the TC to handle more power but the consensus so far is there isn't any fix for it yet. Likely additional HP is going to kill your TC.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:03 AM

But there is no proof that it will, as no one has added more than an intake and mufflers really, and actually documented it. For all we know it could be fine. As I've said before I've hardly seen anyone posting about a failed transfer case, and considering how weak everyone seems to think they are, I'd expect them to fail more often. Personal I beat the hell out of my car, a lot, for two years now. I've done autocross races and spirited drives on back roads and my transfer case is still fine, and my car has 189k miles on it. I don't dump the clutch and launch really hard though, and I think that would really be the cause of a broken case. As far as the trans, I don't know about the auto trans but the mtx75 5 speed is used in the focus, contour and cougars, and those are the guys with nodded engines putting 400+ hp down so I'm sure the 5 speed could handle the power.

I have seen a few of the supercharged Mazdas, and a 3.0 fusion, but those kits are like 6 grand or so, and I doubt they would fit under the hood. A centrifugal supercharger could be made to fit, and you could run it off the water pump pulleys but, you'd have to do a lot of custom work to make room for it and all the piping, same with a turbo though. and yes, unless you only ran like 5psi, which, why bother then, you'd need to lower the compression. My idea for an engine build some day is to bust the block out to a 3.5, port the heads as much as they can be, bigger valves, svt contour cams depending on how the specs compare to the jag cams, have custom headers built with runner as long as can be built given the way the engine sits, and ditch the stock intake manifold for 6 individual throttle bodies. Probably raise the compression a bit too. I found some lite weight underdrive pulleys for the Mazda 3.0 that I would also like to try out, and a lite weight fly wheel. That heavy fly wheel drives me crazy when I am heal toe downshifting, it makes the engine rev up slower and hang in the rpms once it gets up there. Annoying. great for low speed driving though, which makes sense for the typical jaguar drivers.

Last edited by Justink201; 08-13-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^that, i like that idea...a lot. expensive as hell seems like, but i guess if you have the money, why the hell not. but back to the thread, what headers are actually out there that are worth getting? im sure the OBX wouldnt be bad, but i saw some on eBay, for like, 70-80$. could be looking in the wrong place but by the sound of it, that might be get what you pay for type deal.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Yes, expensive for sure but with as much as I've spent on my suspension, I'm past the point of spending more on mods for the car than I paid for the car so really, its just a matter of if it is worth it to me. It would be a few years before I could build an engine like that though, for now I'm just planning on a 3.0 with a true cold air intake setup, ported intake manifold, obx headers, a true dual exhaust with my mina mufflers and maybe ported heads if I feel like taking the engine apart, and I would really like to do the lighter fly wheel too. I have a set of the obx headers, but I haven't installed them yet. I am kind of waiting to get a 3.0 so I can just bolt them on it before I swap it in. The thing is, depending on where you live, you'd have to install an aftermarket cat since they don't have any as part of the headers. Also, the engine light would probably come on if you didn't have the cat, or cats. Then again, it might come on even if you did. I live in FL, no emissions, so I won't be running cats. Not sure what I'll do about the CEL though.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

From the discussions we have had here, it is sounding like there might be a fix for the transfer case, but no one has pushed the transfer case to (dis)prove the modification. In short, the discussion centered around the bearings in the transfer case being loaded too much at the factory, leading to their early failure. You pull the transfer case and properly space the bearings (we are talking only a few thousandths of an inch here), you cuold probably go hog wild with the power. Trick is, you will be the first to do something like that. So, what you will be able to get and where the next "weak point" is, no one knows. But, there always has to be a first. i know I took a gamble with the adjustable rear control arm. Paid off in the end and lots of members though too. If you have the time and money, go for it.

As for compression ratios, the X-Type is running 10.5:1 in the 3.0L engines. That is a little high to be going with forced induction. So, you start adding the big power goodies, also plan in an engine rebuild into the project as you are going to need it. Otherwise, you are going to be paying by having to run 114 octane fuel to prevent pinging. Even then, it might not fix your problem.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:58 PM

I'm going to be doing that with a VC transfer case once I get my hands on one. I don't have traction control so I really want a VC case to replace my open one. LSD rear diff would be great too but I haven't found anything for that yet. I'm actually thinking about buying a 3.0 parts car in a month and its an 03 so I'll have a 3.0 and a VC transfer case to play with. Someone does need to find out what we can really do with these cars, they have a lot of potential to really surprise a lot of people, I honestly didn't want to be the one to have to do the R and D to find out what can be done, but since no one has and I'm one of a small number of people serious about this, it probably will be me. I had to do it with my suspension build, I'm still not done. It would have been great to find someone that had all the answers for me on what exactly to do it build this car up haha, oh well. I suppose if I really want any easy car to build I should have just gotten an EVO or STI but they aren't a Jag!

Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it only takes one person to find out how not to do something. so chances are, there is going to be a lot of trial and error in messing with the internals of things noone has done before. (on paper) but if you go into, dont give up on it. you may hit a break through. and i for one would follow the build...oh and by the way, i love your suspension build justin.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by beardedjag
im sure the OBX wouldnt be bad, but i saw some on eBay, for like, 70-80$. could be looking in the wrong place but by the sound of it, that might be get what you pay for type deal.
Cannot speak to the OBX product for the X-Type but I bought one of their inexpensive offerings from for the Miata some ten years ago...still holds up well and bolted right into place without having to fight with inexact drill patterns or anything.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:13 PM

so I've read about the guy with the 315hp jaguar X-Type with a supercharger? has anyone asked him what he did to it? I heard it's wrecked now, but he still knew what to do.