XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Best Tires to Run on a XF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Tires to Run on a XF?

Hi Jaguar Nation,

Any recommendations on the best tires to run on a 2011 XF Premium? Currently have Continental on her now!

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

THanks!!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

I put on the Michelin Super Sports on both my XF's just recently.

One had the Continentals, and before they hit the wear bars and after only 4 years, one of the treads completely separated from the sidewalls. Googling it, I found others with the same issue with Continental, so never again with those tires.

The other had the Hankooks that the dealers around here recommend. I hated those tires in the way they handled.

The Michelins are only $225 at Discount Tire, and they are top notch.

The following users liked this post:
NuJagLuvr (07-28-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 11:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Lotusespritse! I will check them out!!!!

Old 07-29-2015, 06:27 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Happy with the Nitto NT555 extremes

NuJagLuvr (07-30-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by NuJagLuvr
Hi Jaguar Nation,

Any recommendations on the best tires to run on a 2011 XF Premium? Currently have Continental on her now!

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

THanks!!!!
Just put a set of Michelin MXV4s on my ride...pretty impressed...just a tad noisier (or it may be the crappy Pennsylvania roads...), but they seem to work well.

YMMV

NuJagLuvr (07-30-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The newest Continental ContiPro Contact, updated from the one fitted to older cars, is a superb tire in its class. Anecdotal evidence of one tire failure is not relevant to your decision. The factory Contis on my '09 were all good down to the wear bars.

Competing tires in that category include the MXV4, the Pirelli P7 and the Michelin Primacy all season.

Michelin super sports are from a much higher performance category and are noisier and harder riding as a result. Continental and Pirelli both make competing tires in that category.

Check out the high performance all season tires if you want to step up a category. Supersports are overkill on an XF. Michelin makes the awesome Pilot A/S 3, Conti the DWS just updated and superior to the former class leader and Pirelli s new P Zero All Season is a top performer also.

NuJagLuvr (07-30-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

You should add what you want to do with the car and what is important in a tire for YOU to get the best recommendations. Otherwise it's like going to a party and asking everyone which sedan you should buy. Lots of opinions but a lower chance it will ultimately be what you want.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Anecdotal evidence of one tire failure is not relevant to your decision.

Michelin super sports are from a much higher performance category and are noisier and harder riding as a result.

Yet more bad info from jagular. Do the googles, it wasn't one tire failure.

And my Michelins ride smoother and quieter than the Conti's ever did.

You are again pretending to talk from authority when you haven't even tried them on the XF.

The following 2 users liked this post by lotusespritse:
DPK (07-29-2015), NuJagLuvr (07-30-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 06:19 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

I hate Continental of ANY kind..the 03 X I had, wore them and they rode like ****!!!

My XF now also has Continentals and they are also crap....I can't wait till they wear enough to justify a new set of Michelins..one of the rear set is so screwed up, I can only drive with them on the rear, as it pulls the steering to the left otherwise..So now I can't even rotate them ever....Anecdotally speaking that is

Last edited by DPK; 07-29-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Anecdotally speaking you appear to be in a very small minority of tire users.

Continental Europe (which supplies Jaguar ) consistently gets good reviews. For example:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm

Now the American tire maker General tires also builds Continental branded tires for the American market. Perhaps some of the issues arise from General tire manufacture although more likely it is driver abuse if the failures are reported by American consumers.

I have fitted a variety of Michelin tires to cars I have owned. Michelin makes tires that ride harder and make more noise than many competing tires, especially from Pirelli. Generally, though not always, you also get higher dry grip and handling in return for more noise and a harder ride. Michelin also makes quieter tires if you want that quality in your tire. Hard to get both qualities from a Michelin tire in my experience.

Comparing tires sold for one category to tires from another category is essentially meaningless.

It has also been my experience that people in general know the square root of fa about their tires and what makes a good tire, anecdotally speaking.

You're welcome to your opinions but stay away from incorrect facts eh?

Last edited by jagular; 07-29-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Yet more bad info from jagular. Do the googles, it wasn't one tire failure.

And my Michelins ride smoother and quieter than the Conti's ever did.

You are again pretending to talk from authority when you haven't even tried them on the XF.
Again you should check a few facts before you post. I think you'll find Continental perform very well in comparisons with Michelins.

You are I believe a minority of one if you find Michelins to ride "smoother" by which I assume you mean more smoothly, whatever that means, and more quietly than Continentals.

Assuming you've had your hearing checked recently have you found anyone else who experiences the same difference? Tire Rack maybe?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:08 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

You're welcome to your opinions but stay away from incorrect facts eh?
Oh believe me oh wonder of the North..that's why I try not to read MUCH OF THE DRIVEL YOU SPEW..eh?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:32 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone run a 245 on the front of their XFR? Who ever owned the car before me put 245s on the front instead of the 255 the rears are factory size 285/30/20.

When it comes time to replace them I will be going back to the factory size but I thought it was odd they used a narrower tire.

Advantages would be less rolling resistance?

Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
Oh believe me oh wonder of the North..that's why I try not to read MUCH OF THE DRIVEL YOU SPEW..eh?
Seems to me you read every word of every post, without understanding any of them.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
Has anyone run a 245 on the front of their XFR? Who ever owned the car before me put 245s on the front instead of the 255 the rears are factory size 285/30/20.

When it comes time to replace them I will be going back to the factory size but I thought it was odd they used a narrower tire.

Advantages would be less rolling resistance?
245 section is fitted to non R XF models. They will run slightly less rolling resistance but it would not be a good idea to fit too much stagger. Although stagger is mainly for cosmetic effect it does change the handling balance. Wider tires do not generate more grip they just develop grip earlier in the cornering process. They actually develop less grip for braking or accelerating.

If the stagger is too much you'll find the wider tire will grip more and earlier but reach the breakaway limit sooner making the car twitchy. One assumes the sidewall height is the same and the profile higher for the 245 which will run at higher slip angles so tend to increase understeer. However, as you apply more power in the corner or increase corner speed the lower profile but wider rear tires may let go earlier than the fronts.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Seems to me you read every word of every post, without understanding any of them.
I understand there is no substance or facts in anything you say...But as always, you seem to flatter yourself when no one else cares...eh?

Last edited by DPK; 07-29-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

245 section is fitted to non R XF models. They will run slightly less rolling resistance but it would not be a good idea to fit too much stagger. Although stagger is mainly for cosmetic effect it does change the handling balance. Wider tires do not generate more grip they just develop grip earlier in the cornering process. They actually develop less grip for braking or accelerating.

If the stagger is too much you'll find the wider tire will grip more and earlier but reach the breakaway limit sooner making the car twitchy. One assumes the sidewall height is the same and the profile higher for the 245 which will run at higher slip angles so tend to increase understeer. However, as you apply more power in the corner or increase corner speed the lower profile but wider rear tires may let go earlier than the fronts.
Now you have me thinking do I have the correct size wheels for the XFR on the front or will a 245 fit on the stock 20" Nevis wheel?

Old 07-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Go to Tire Rack and look up what tires you have. Then look at the recommend wheel width for the tires. You want to run in the middle of the range which will usually be 1" to 1.5".

Too wide a tire on a rim makes the contact patch narrower because the edges get rounded due to the gap between the beads is smaller. If rim is too wide the tire gets too stretched across the tread and it doesn't make as much contact in middle.

But to answer your question, a 245 should be just fine on an 8.5" rim. Just looked up a Bridgestone Potenza S-04 245/40/20 and it's recommended rim is 8-9.5". Theoretically, the 8.5" rim is on the small side for a 255.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:56 AM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I had the terrible factory continentals when I bought my car. Horrible vibrations. Balanced and rebalanced every couple thousand miles while the dealer tried to correct the vibration issue. After 15,000 miles one was beyond being able to be balanced. I put BF Goodrich's on and I couldn't be happier. No issues 10,000 miles later.

The following 3 users liked this post by glenonoka:
bdboyle (07-30-2015), DPK (07-30-2015), NuJagLuvr (08-05-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
I understand there is no substance or facts in anything you say...But as always, you seem to flatter yourself when no one else cares...eh?
Thanks for that. At least somebody cares enough to correct me.

Quick Reply: Best Tires to Run on a XF?