XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Headlight help needed on 2013 Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight help needed on 2013 Jaguar XF

My headlights provide minimal vision at night on low beam and we noticed only the high/low beam bulb is lit when the lights are on low beam. The other large bulb in the the headlight assembly never illuminates on either headlight. I can't find anywhere if that's an additional low beam bulb or how to get it to turn on. It's strange it's not lit on either side. Thanks for the help, I'm a long ways from a Jaguar dealership.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Post facelift cars only have one headlight bulb as they are bi xenon.

The other bulb is the turn indicator which you can verify by activating it.

In my experience Jaguar sets the low beam too low from the factory. The vertical adjuster is accessible from the open hood and is a green 5 mm Allen socket plastic screw adjuster marked with a directional arrow. Park up at a nice clean wall on level ground. (I used my underground parkade). Turn the screw adjuster up until the cut off is at a reasonable height. If you find oncoming drivers are bothered by the light you've set them too high, lower them.

If you have the dealer aim your headlights I suspect they'll be set too low again.

The second adjuster is for left right aim and need not be touched normally. The left right adjusters are on the side of each lamp unit, less obvious to find.

The following users liked this post:
hen555 (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you jagular!

I've wasted hours searching on the internet when I should have come here first! Thank you so much! I feel like an idiot not knowing that was a turn signal. I'll adjust the height tonight. Happy driving!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by firsttimejagowner
I've wasted hours searching on the internet when I should have come here first! Thank you so much! I feel like an idiot not knowing that was a turn signal. I'll adjust the height tonight. Happy driving!
I'm not an idiot and I leaped to the same conclusion. Unless you check or find out from someone who knows you wouldn't know. Who stands in front of their new car to check the lights?

Old 08-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you guys have the equivalent of a UK MOT in the states or Canada where they set the lights beam height to comply woth local laws and regulations????

Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by damienedwards
Do you guys have the equivalent of a UK MOT in the states or Canada where they set the lights beam height to comply woth local laws and regulations????
No. Our spec is a minimum.

The DOT spec applies for aiming equipment and lense pattern but there's no performance spec.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Well thats odd, so youre saying that you can manually adjust youre lights potentially blinding oncoming traffic and you have NO test in place to pick this up????

Thats poor, we have a check in the UK as part of the yearly MOT test.

This is to try and catch absolute morrons tampering with the light settings and making them to high, this would potentially cause a serious accident if blinding oncoming traffic.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:02 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Well thats odd, so youre saying that you can manually adjust youre lights potentially blinding oncoming traffic and you have NO test in place to pick this up????
Yes, that is correct. Our states, all 50 of them, each have their own licensing laws. None of them require any headlight checks. No doubt we have less stupid people here so tampering isn't as much of an issue.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Thats poor, we have a check in the UK as part of the yearly MOT test.

This is to try and catch absolute morrons tampering with the light settings and making them to high, this would potentially cause a serious accident if blinding oncoming traffic.
We have no MOT equivalent either. So in addition to morons with misaligned headlights (some of which have no working bulb) we have additional morons with bald tires, tires with the wrong or no speed rating, failed brakes, leaking and noisy exhausts, windshields so crazed and cracked you can't see out, etc.

We have regulations requiring this equipment to be in good repair but no regulatory enforcement system. Police tickets are the only enforcement.

It's called freedom from regulation. Bizarre but there you have it.