XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

XF SC 36,000 miles problems are popping up

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XF SC 36,000 miles problems are popping up

I have a 2009 XF SUPERCHARGE. I just recently had my 40k servicing at the dealership done. Since then it's been problem, after problem popping up and I have to keep going back to get these things fixed.

1. They said I needed new rear breaks during my servicing. ($800) DONE
2. I have car back for a week and the check engine light suddenly comes on. When they did the diagnostic test it revealed that my car needed the fuel injectors worked on because it was misfiring and it also needed a new thermostat. ($1,000) DONE
3. I have the car back for a day and the COOLANT LEVEL LOW warning light comes on. The dealership had to drain and refill the coolant to work on the thermostat so they told me to just drive it around because it's probably a bubble or a burp. So I have been doing that for 2 weeks and it's still on. Now the check engine light comes on yesterday and the COOLANT LEVEL LOW warning light is still on.
4. To top it off now my back privacy shade suddenly stopped working. It won't go up.

I'm getting very frustrated and contemplating selling. THOUGHTS????

Last edited by atxtonyc; 08-05-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Brakes are a service item and not a defect. Rear brakes last about 20,000 miles and front brakes about 50,000 miles. This is normal wear for these cars. The brakes are very good which is one reason they wear fast.

Thermostats do wear out and need replacing on any car.

Low coolant light is not a problem unless the car is also losing coolant. If your car is losing coolant then that's most probably the water pump, a known defect on these 4.2 V8 engines.

I doubt the CEL was triggered by any injector issues. What code was discovered? If it is a lean mixture related code then an air leak is more likely than an injector issue.

The '09 SC suffers from a known air leak underneath the supercharger. Most of these were fixed under warranty. It's a foam plastic gasket that leaks and needs replacing. Unfortunately the supercharger has to be lifted to do this which costs a bit of $$$.

Your reaction seems a bit extreme for such minor faults. Does your dealer know fa about servicing these cars? Sounds doubtful.

The following users liked this post:
atxtonyc (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 PM

P0128-TSTAT CODE LOGGED MULTIPE CYLINDER MISFIRE CODES LOGGED.

My coolant isn't leaking. I've been checking it regularly. I didn't drive the car for 3 days straight and when i checked it the level was the same. Another member said it could just be the coolant reservoir. I might just need a new one.

I've owned many cars and understand that parts wear out lol. That's common knowledge there. Just never owned one in which so many things started going wrong after only 30+k miles.

I take my car to the Landrover Jaguar dealership of Austin Texas. Maybe I should take it to the one in San Antonio Texas.

Just got a call from a neighbor saying that my front driver side headlight was out. Sure enough when I went to check it was out. The high beams work on both side but not the low beam on the driver side. Just great!

I love my car and think it's amazing. One of the most awesome cars I've ever owned. I'm just very frustrated how all of a sudden all the little things are starting to happen. Especially when I know nothing about repairing cars and I'm left here wondering now how much is this going to cost. It's really inconvenient and embarrassing driving around clients and then something suddenly goes wrong. Again, I love my car. I just want it to be perfect. Normal wear and tear is something I expect.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 156 Posts

Remove the small upper coolant tube from the coolant tank and check to see if that plastic nipple has a crack around it. The water pump issue was only present on the 5.0L motor but the thermostat housing has been known to leak over time on the 4.2L and needs replacing every so often.

I was told (by the dealer) that dirty injectors are common on the 4.2L. Dirty injectors will make the car misfire and pop a restricted performance code. I had been to the dealer a few times for this issue. Both times they cleaned the injectors and it fixed the issue. Now that I run injector cleaner I haven't had the issue in about 2 years. To prevent this from happening over and over again I run a can of BG 44K injector cleaner with a tank of gas every few months. I'd stick specifically with the BG stuff. You can find it on Ebay or Amazon. It's what the techs us when they clean the injectors out at the dealer.

Rear brakes wearing out are very common on the XF (any model). I guess the traction control modulates the rear breaks which burns through pads faster. Anyone can do brakes I'd suggest avoiding the dealer when you need brakes.

If the headlight isn't working check the bulb...

None of your issues are major. Most are general maintenance items. The ones you need to look out for are the rear differential issues (I'd recommend recommend swapping fluid immediately), dash leather lifting, and battery failure (causes all kinds of electrical gremlins).

Last edited by Blackcoog; 08-06-2014 at 07:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blackcoog:
atxtonyc (08-06-2014), PiersB (08-12-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 02:08 PM

Thank you guys for all your expert advice. All these issues are slowly popping up one right after another within the last 3 weeks. You know how it is when things happen in your life and you feel overwhelmed and think will you ever get a break. Well that's the way I'm feeling. I just want my baby to purr and right now she's a little sick.

My dash is lifting, the plastic cover that houses the sub woofer is cracking. Again, I understand these are minor things. I might sound like I'm complaining but I'm not. Just a worried and a bit frustrated.

Thanks again!!!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

+ 1 on the BG 44K

My 09 was running a little rough, could have been bad gas, but after using the additive never felt a shake again.

The rear brakes on mine are almost in need to be replaced, I have about 41k.

My dash is indeed rippling a little, with all the waves I might need dramamine. jk

All in all these are things I take my free time to address, brakes are going to get done at the local indy shop by me.

Don't panic, with all these members here to help, they will steer you in the right direction to find the best/ most honest answer.

atxtonyc (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Just a correction. The 4.2L does NOT have water pump problems and it's very rare they need replaced. The top tank is a known problem especially the nipple mentioned above. Just be very careful when replacing the top tank. There is a large hose that's retained with a wire clip. This is not the easiest to get back in correctly. At least two S Type with the 4.2L have destroyed their engines when this hose popped off when pressure built up in the system. It's such a huge leak that it's all over before you even know it!

The 5.0L engine has many water pump failures and Jaguar has redesigned the pump at least twice. If you have a 5.0L you most likely will need to replace the water pump at some time. Good news is it's not too expensive at around $50.

Supposedly Jaguar has fixed this for the 2012 and up 5.0L but there have been several later models fail already.

Dirty injectors are also not a problem on the 4.2L although that can happen to any engine.

And finally my standard advice. Jaguars are expensive cars and get no cheaper to repair with time. If you can't do it yourself then I would make sure and keep a warranty in place. It’s just too expensive otherwise.

This forum has saved me thousands of dollars and I got much better repairs because of all the knowledge here.

The following 2 users liked this post by tbird6:
atxtonyc (08-06-2014), Bigg Will (01-05-2015)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

The 4.2 also has been known to suffer premature water pump seal failure.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Burp???

Originally Posted by atxtonyc
I have a 2009 XF SUPERCHARGE. I just recently had my 40k servicing at the dealership done. Since then it's been problem, after problem popping up and I have to keep going back to get these things fixed.

1. They said I needed new rear breaks during my servicing. ($800) DONE
2. I have car back for a week and the check engine light suddenly comes on. When they did the diagnostic test it revealed that my car needed the fuel injectors worked on because it was misfiring and it also needed a new thermostat. ($1,000) DONE
3. I have the car back for a day and the COOLANT LEVEL LOW warning light comes on. The dealership had to drain and refill the coolant to work on the thermostat so they told me to just drive it around because it's probably a bubble or a burp. So I have been doing that for 2 weeks and it's still on. Now the check engine light comes on yesterday and the COOLANT LEVEL LOW warning light is still on.
4. To top it off now my back privacy shade suddenly stopped working. It won't go up.

I'm getting very frustrated and contemplating selling. THOUGHTS????

None, other than one you've probably had -- Does this dealer really know what he's doing?

A long time ago, when I used to do my own work on a car (back when they were a bit less complicated), One always ran the engine after cooling system work to assure the thermostat opened and allowed proper water circulation. You would think that would have been part of the servicing procedure. And for sure, I don't know about that "driving it around" instruction.

Anyway, good luck. Hopefully they won't ding you for the cost of more coolant -- or worst!
Luck
King Fala

Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by KingFala
None, other than one you've probably had -- Does this dealer really know what he's doing?

A long time ago, when I used to do my own work on a car (back when they were a bit less complicated), One always ran the engine after cooling system work to assure the thermostat opened and allowed proper water circulation. You would think that would have been part of the servicing procedure. And for sure, I don't know about that "driving it around" instruction.

Anyway, good luck. Hopefully they won't ding you for the cost of more coolant -- or worst!
Luck
King Fala
Several people have asked told me that they should have ran the engine for a while to insure proper circulation. The dealership has me at their mercy because I don't know the first thing about car engines. I never buy a car with any thoughts on how much it will cost to repair.

I just dropped her off and I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Although some of these things ARE routine, some are not and to have them all start up around the same time definitely is frustrating. I know I'd be frustrated!

My dash is perfect though I've seen many pictures where others have started the wave and lift. I keep mine garaged and it's perfect wonder if that helps (heat / sun??)

Good luck and please DO keep us posted.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:45 AM

I just got a call from the Jaguar of Austin dealership. I must say I'm experiencing a little bit of sticker shock at the moment. My emotions are running very high and I'm trying not to think to extreme but honestly my first reaction is get rid of my girl Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help and kind words. I know it's just a car and I know what I was buying. I just didn't know it would need soooooo much maintenance soooooo soon.

QUOTE FROM THE DEALERSHIP:
1) Coolant tank replacement $477.22 that is for the tank and the coolant.
2) HID bulb for the headlight parts and labor $360.13
3) Rear shade for back window parts and labor $1669.35
4) Induction Elbow for the check engine light parts and labor $2,445.57
5) GRAND TOTAL $4,952.27

Last edited by atxtonyc; 08-12-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

Unless you can do your own work it will be very expensive to own a Jaguar out of warrenty.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Sorry to hear how many issues you've just had - how frustrating. Two options from me.

1) If you're going to keep a 5+ year Jag that's out of warranty, I'd suggest finding a very good independent mechanic and working with them. For example the brakes could be done for half that if you buy the parts and have a mechanic do it. I expect coolant tank and headlight replacement are pretty easy jobs for a mechanic too. And $2400 sounds like a lot for an induction elbow - I suspect there is a substantial amount of labour in that which an indy shop could reduce. And you might want to consider alternatives e.g. $100 to tint the rear window vs. $1700 to repair the shade...

2) Alternative is to trade for something newer that's well within warranty. Peace of mind as well as covering the cost of issues

Good luck - I hope you get it all sorted out and that it doesn't push you away from the brand.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

From what I've read, I'm not sure you need a coolant tank... If I understand the situation, the dealer drained out the coolant to fix a problem and then after driving you found the coolant low and it stayed low as the air was not properly removed at the time.
Once the air is out of the system the coolant will stay low and all you need to do is fill up the rad and the overflow bottle to the designated levels. So, the problem may have been that the air has been removed and it more or less took up space in the system..with it gone the fluid needs to be added.
With the other issues, such as the rear shade.. it could be a simple switch or loose wire?
Lawrence.

Jeff Murray (05-06-2021)
Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

I just got a call from the Jaguar of Austin dealership. I must say I'm experiencing a little bit of sticker shock at the moment. My emotions are running very high and I'm trying not to think to extreme but honestly my first reaction is get rid of my girl Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help and kind words. I know it's just a car and I know what I was buying. I just didn't know it would need soooooo much maintenance soooooo soon.

5) GRAND TOTAL $4,952.27
Especially in Texas, you SHOULD NEVER BE GOING TO THE DEALER for this type of work unless you like taking it in the back side.

Lots of Jags in Texas, and lots of good, honest independent shops that care about their reputation.

I know there's a shop in San Antonio that is considered awesome, but I am sure there are some in Austin too. Ask your local Jag club.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 315 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkN
I keep mine garaged and it's perfect wonder if that helps (heat / sun??)
Garaging a car day and night is *everything* when it comes to preserving them. Everything that has paint, plastic, vinyl, leather, or rubber will die a quick death if you park your car in the sun all day, especially in Austin Texas. even the electronics will start go out from baking in the heat. The sun gives us life, but it also kills.

If I had to park outside all day, I would buy a used Corolla.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Garaging a car day and night is *everything* when it comes to preserving them. Everything that has paint, plastic, vinyl, leather, or rubber will die a quick death if you park your car in the sun all day, especially in Austin Texas. even the electronics will start go out from baking in the heat. The sun gives us life, but it also kills.

If I had to park outside all day, I would buy a used Corolla.
Agreed, hence why my Jag gets our garage spot and my wife's Elantra gets the street spot

Old 08-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

5) GRAND TOTAL $4,952.27
Wow yeah that is stupidly high.
For #2: The bulb you can purchase and install yourself pretty easily, Jaguar actually made the headlights in the XF pretty straightfoward to take out. Google search for videos of it.
For #3: For $1600+ I would leave the sunshade as it is and tint the windows if they aren't already. I don't use the sunshade anyway
For #1: You can definitely source the coolant tank and coolant for cheaper and have an indy shop do this, but I would get an indy shop estimate first to see if this even needs to be done
For #4: This might give you some guidance, Brutal is a Jag tech - https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n-elbow-25891/

Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM

I have a mechanic I've been using for 10+ years and I sent him the work order. He was the head mechanic at the GMC/Pontiac dealership in Austin and is now one of the fleet mechanics for the City of Austin. I didn't use him at first because I thought it would be easier to just take my car to the dealership, get it fixed and have it back the next day. It is actually easier and faster but in the end you get poked right in the rear.

@Mulmur
The dealership replaced my thermostat two or three weeks ago because my check engine light came on. They drained and then filled up the tank. When I picked up my car the following day the COOLANT LEVEL LOW light came on. The coolant level was at max and was not leaking. Today over the phone the dealership said the float wasn't coming up and they needed to replace the whole tank.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I'm going to let my mechanic check out all the comments in the event he has questions. No more taking my car for servicing to the dealership. I'll go pick her up tomorrow, pay for the diagnostic test which they said would be $130 and see what happens from there.

Mulmur (08-12-2014)

Quick Reply: XF SC 36,000 miles problems are popping up