Ebay Seller Says, "You can't program your own Jaguar remote!"

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Ebay Seller Says, "You can't program your own Jaguar remote!"

Hello Gentlemen:

I bought a remote from Ebay the other day:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_3000wt_922

... and the seller sent me this email after receiving my request for programming instructions:

"Hello Sir / Maam,

The jaguar remote for your car you have can only be programmed with special equipment. It is equivilent to a hand held type of computer that gets connected to the vehicle.

Unfortunately, there is no simple set of instructions that can be self done for these cars. The manufacturer has made it so that a visit to a dealer or good locksmith will be necessary to get this accomplished. We would suggest the locksmith as they are likely cheaper.

This car is one that is specifically listed on our program page right in the auction as one that can NOT be self programmed. There is NO on board self programming built into the vehicle by the manufacturer."

But I recall reading posts here to the contrary... that some of my fellow Jaguar friends in this forum HAVE self programmed.

Would someone please confirm this?

Thanks so much!

SirJag

Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I see you have a 2001 VDP just like mine. I bought and programed myself (following the directions found on this forum) this remote from eBay and works perfect (it is the same one that comes with the vehicle as a new car from the dealer)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7167&viewitem=
The one you bought I'm not even sure it works with our vehicles. Look for this: FCC ID: CWTWB1U322 on a new remote and you'll be OK. Here's one brand new: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...item5adef75ea6

Last edited by meaculpa; 03-14-2011 at 04:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SirJag (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I programmed several remotes to work on my 01 VDP. The instructions as posted in the forum worked for me. Not sure why that eBay seller said what he did - threats from Mother Jaguar ?

SirJag (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
I programmed several remotes to work on my 01 VDP
Not the switchblade type...

SirJag (03-14-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

I hadn't looked at the eBay sale referred to. Yup, that's the WRONG ONE for 2001. You need one that is nearly square. Mine have part number LJE2610-AB and FCC ID CWTWB1U322 on the back. LJE2610-AC may also work as well.

SirJag (03-20-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,619 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
The remote for our 2001 XJ8 also is the same as meaculpa's VDP. Our has this stamped on the back: LJE2610-AB FCC ID CWTWB1U322 CAN 1788 102 3564 and it looks exactly like to picture in the Ebay listing that is meaculpa's posting.
Jim Lombardi

SirJag (03-20-2011)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

You need to read the listing before buying.

2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 JAGUAR X TYPE AND S TYPE

This remote is dealer or locksmith programmable only !
It's not even for your vehicle.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Default Good News... this "wrong" remote CAN be self-programmed

Good news.

I rec'd the remote (that some thought wouldn't work) and programmed it the first time in about 15 seconds. Works like a charm. Even the seller told me it wouldn't work. Well, if you want a brand new remote cheap for your 2001 VDP (or similar), you should know that it does work, despite what even the seller told me:

"Hello Sir / Maam,

The jaguar remote for your car you have can only be programmed with special equipment.
It is equivilent to a hand held type of computer that gets connected to the vehicle.
Unfortunately, there is no simple set of instructions that can be self done for these
cars. The manufacturer has made it so that a visit to a dealer or good locksmith
will be necessary to get this accomplished. We would suggest the locksmith as
they are likely cheaper.

This car is one that is specifically listed on our program page right in the auction
as one that can NOT be self programmed. There is NO on board self programming
built into the vehicle by the manufacturer. "

Anyway... here's all you do...

1) Open your driver's door
2) Sit down and admire your amazingly beautiful car, then pull the highbeam stalk back and hold it.
3) Insert key... turn to first position. (On mine, there seemed to be a position before position #1. It moved only a tiny bit. That one didn't work. Need to move it more for position #1.)
4) Release high beam stalk. Then pull stalk to you and release 4 more times. You'll either hear a chime (I didn't) or see a little red light near your gear selector light up
5) Press the lock button on your remote one time.

Done!

Get out and close door and try remote. Worked like a charm for me for 2 remotes.

Enjoy your new remote!

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 03-20-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Trako (02-26-2012)
Old 03-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switchblade remotes on X308 cars?

Hey SirJag,

Just to be clear and make this thread educational for everyone - you purchased the 'newer style' switchblade type of keyfob (like those used on the 2004+ XJ) and you were able to program it on your 2001 XJ car? This is definitely different than a lot of us have experienced, but also very interesting. Can you confirm that all functions (lock, unlock, trunk, headlights) worked after programming?

Thanks,
Brian

Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJROh3
Hey SirJag,

Just to be clear and make this thread educational for everyone - you purchased the 'newer style' switchblade type of keyfob (like those used on the 2004+ XJ) and you were able to program it on your 2001 XJ car? This is definitely different than a lot of us have experienced, but also very interesting. Can you confirm that all functions (lock, unlock, trunk, headlights) worked after programming?

Thanks,
Brian
+1 on the above question: switchblade remote works on a 2001 XJ?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:30 AM

Gentlemen:

Here's that link I gave in my first post in this section:

BRAND NEW JAGUAR REMOTE X TYPE, S TYPE XJ/XJ8/XJR - eBay (item 180636834550 end time Mar-13-11 05:02:57 PDT)

This is the one that the seller (and a few of my fellow Jag friends) thought would not work, which I was happy to report did! :-)

And yes... right this moment I went into my garage and re-tested all functions: Lock, Unlock, Trunk and Headlight. All work like a charm on my 2001 VDP. (And I never took it out of its 2 sealed plastic bags! Programmed right through them because I thought it wouldn't work and would have to resell on Ebay!)

Sincerely,

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 03-21-2011 at 02:34 AM.
plums (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SirJag
Gentlemen:

Here's that link I gave in my first post in this section:

BRAND NEW JAGUAR REMOTE X TYPE, S TYPE XJ/XJ8/XJR - eBay (item 180636834550 end time Mar-13-11 05:02:57 PDT)

This is the one that the seller (and a few of my fellow Jag friends) thought would not work, which I was happy to report did! :-)

And yes... right this moment I went into my garage and re-tested all functions: Lock, Unlock, Trunk and Headlight. All work like a charm on my 2001 VDP.

Sincerely,

SirJag
Yes, I did look at the listing itself and recognise the picture.

This is great news!

Thanks for taking the time to confirm.

There are probably more than a few XJ owners wanting to do this. How about squinting and listing all the numbers on the back of the remote into this thread?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Part number for this type of remote is C2C 3086 - It's not the flip key version, just a later 433 Mhz design, I don't see why it shouldn't work as our cars (X308) - Nice to know.....but there is a 315 Mhz version too. Probably more use to USA, for UK we use 433.

Last edited by Sean B; 03-21-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: for clarity and plums
Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Now the next question is can the uncut key blank versions of this remote be cut to work with an X308 key? Anyone try that yet? If I don't hear otherwise, I'll try purchasing the whole thing (remote +key) and see if I can do a conversion....

Old 03-21-2011, 03:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Part number for this type of remote is C2C 3086 - It's not the flip key version, just a later 433 Mhz design, I don't see why it shouldn't work as our cars (X308) - Nice to know.....but there is a 315 Mhz version to steer clear of.
To be clear ...

The picture in the listing is clearly a flip key, and the listing even mentions the lack of the key blank itself.

There is nothing wrong with the 315 Mhz .... it is one of the frequencies used in North America. It might not be desirable in the UK, but very desirable in the US.

So, US drivers will want to know the Jaguar part number, FCC ID and CAN numbers on the exact one in SirJag's physical possession.

The one *he* is saying *is* a switchblade.

Last edited by plums; 03-21-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
To be clear ...

The picture in the listing is clearly a flip key, and the listing even mentions the lack of the key blank itself.

There is nothing wrong with the 315 Mhz .... it is one of the frequencies used in North America. It might not be desirable in the UK, but very desirable in the US.

So, US drivers will want to know the Jaguar part number, FCC ID and CAN numbers on the exact one in SirJag's physical possession.

The one *he* is saying *is* a switchblade.
This one he's bought is not a flip key, lets ask him eh?

SirJag, is the keyfob you bought from the ebay you've posted a flip key or it it just a remote? I'm trying to clear up what type of remote you actually bought and program to your car - because plum source has got it under his wig that it is a flip key remote. I don't think it is!
number 1 X308
number 2 X type, Stype, X350 XJ
number 3 as above with key.

Attached Thumbnails Ebay Seller Says, "You can't program your own Jaguar remote!"-1.jpg   Ebay Seller Says, "You can't program your own Jaguar remote!"-2.jpg   Ebay Seller Says, "You can't program your own Jaguar remote!"-3.jpg  

Last edited by Sean B; 03-21-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

You guys are gonna start a firestorm of wrong info in here. First. Yes you can programm a remote yourself on a xtype, xk, and xj. Not a stype, so the seller is correct on that.
Second, you can program a flip key "remote" to your car that has the square remote, ive done it many times. But you have to have the flip key or any key programmed at the dealer or at the very least a locksmith that has the equipment to do key programming. So if you told the seller theyre wrong about programming on "all" jaguars. Youre incorrect and someone that buys a remote with an stype will have the wrong info a be pissed cause that will be more money to spend they werent expecting too. Now youre happy cause you know you dont have to spend the extra money on programming and a $$$ windfall is always welcome

Old 03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member

SirJag, is the keyfob you bought from the ebay you've posted a flip key or it it just a remote? I'm trying to clear up what type of remote you actually bought and program to your car - because plum source has got it under his wig that it is a flip key remote. I don't think it is!
number 1 X308
First, you should admit that a 315Mhz is entirely fine if the particular vehicle calls for it. It may not be applicable in the UK, but it is applicable in the US.

Under my wig, is this part of the listing:

This is not going to be the whole flip key. This will be REMOTE PORTION of the flip key. There will be no key blade on this remote. If you need the whole unit, please give us a call so we can assist you by listing a new auction
Notice how it specifically disclaims inclusion of the blade itself without precluding the presence of a blade.

It also says:

Once again this is going to be the REMOTE PORTION of the flip key!
The vendor is a frequent seller of all brands of remotes. This is their main business. Presumably they don't like getting complaints or returns.

Last edited by plums; 03-21-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
You guys are gonna start a firestorm of wrong info in here. First. Yes you can programm a remote yourself on a xtype, xk, and xj. Not a stype, so the seller is correct on that.
Second, you can program a flip key "remote" to your car that has the square remote, ive done it many times. But you have to have the flip key or any key programmed at the dealer or at the very least a locksmith that has the equipment to do key programming. So if you told the seller theyre wrong about programming on "all" jaguars. Youre incorrect and someone that buys a remote with an stype will have the wrong info a be pissed cause that will be more money to spend they werent expecting too. Now youre happy cause you know you dont have to spend the extra money on programming and a $$$ windfall is always welcome
The difficulty is that some people do not pick up on the fact that with the flips, there are two systems in the one join physical unit. The programming requirements are still the same as if the units were separate. One programming task for the remote and one programming task for the key. That does not change. Only the physical packaging changes.

Yes, it will happen that someone skims a thread and goes off the deep end without taking the time to do the research.

There's a lesson in there for them if they choose to do that.

Failing that, there are always the Darwin Awards.

Jaguar John (07-07-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 03:37 AM

number 1 X308
Hello Sean:

Yes... the remote I bought is your center photo... there is NO KEY. It's obviously missing the key part, but hey... it's a brand new working remote that I use as an emergency backup.

Here's the tiny info from the back:FCC ID: NHVWB1U241.

And on the plastic bag under the bar code: *2BF1A7610E0*

Then... 315.0MHZ 4K JAG IK.

This remote has something that your #1 remote (first photo on left) does not have... a headlight button. A nice feature in a crowded parking lot.

The Ebay seller knew that the sale was just for the remote--not for the remote and KEY. To say that the remote couldn't be user programmed was incorrect.

In fact, here is the email I just rec'd in response to my email to the seller informing him that it COULD be buyer-programmed:

"Hi.....interesting....can you send us the procedure please and the details of your car that it worked on.
We would be very grateful."

Fact is, unless you do it yourself, you never really know for sure. Once again, the maxim is correct, "The truth believed is a lie." (You have to experience it to really KNOW.)

Also... to add some valuable info... I just performed a few tests.

WHEN PROGRAMMING TWO REMOTES (and perhaps more than 2): The final step in the programming process is to press the LOCK button on the remote(s). You must press each lock button separately if you're programming more than 1 remote. Pressing them together will cause only 1 remote to program. I tried this more than once. Simply press the lock button on 1 of them... release... then immediately press the lock button on the other remote.

Hope this helps my fellow Jag lovers!

SirJag

Last edited by SirJag; 03-22-2011 at 03:42 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SirJag:
fredd60 (02-13-2013), Minnievirginny (01-23-2012), plums (03-22-2011)

Quick Reply: Ebay Seller Says, "You can't program your own Jaguar remote!"