XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vibrates and loss of power when reach 50 mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibrates and loss of power when reach 50 mph

Hi, I just purchased a 2001 XJ8 WITH 134K miles. I drove the car home 30 miles from the dealer just fine. The next day I noticed the check light was on and while driving on the hwy it started shaking/vibrating as soon as it got to about 50 mph. When I tried to accelerate pass 50 mph the car felt as if it was running out of gas and could hardly speed up. I reduced the speed and then it would drive smooth again There was no smoke or anything like that but I noticed that while going up a hill the engine light would turn on and off, then once the car was level the light was steady on again. The engine does idles very smooth. What could this be? Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

The first thing is to pull the codes from the ECU. This will help narrow the possibilities. My guess is that you have a fuel pump failing or a clogged fuel filter. You can check fuel pressure easily on the XJ8, there is a schraeder valve on the fuel rail to connect the tester.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool Wrong Forum

Hey newuser, thought I'd tell you that you are posting in the wrong forum for you X308 model - this forum is specifically for the X350 models, 2004 and newer. If you go back to the home page and check the forums for specific models you will see one called Jaguar XJ8 & Jaguar XJR where you are likely to get better responses to your questions. You will want to do some research by reading threads on the transmission, thermostat housing, water pump, etc. to be forewarned about common problems with that model to watch out for. Good luck,
Goose

Old 03-11-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by V7Goose
Hey newuser, thought I'd tell you that you are posting in the wrong forum for you X308 model - this forum is specifically for the X350 models, 2004 and newer. If you go back to the home page and check the forums for specific models you will see one called Jaguar XJ8 & Jaguar XJR where you are likely to get better responses to your questions. You will want to do some research by reading threads on the transmission, thermostat housing, water pump, etc. to be forewarned about common problems with that model to watch out for. Good luck,
Goose
Sir, read my post, it does say that I have an XJ8, not an X308 as you say. Thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
Cool Uh, you need to learn a few things - we are just trying to help

Look, I know you are new here, and apparently new to these cars, but try not to get so uppity about things you don't understand yet - we are just trying to help. If you want good answers to your questions, you are really going to have to post them in the correct forums. When someone responds with some information that you do not understand, try to do a search on the term and learn about it. At least consider asking for clarification before you decide to correct someone trying to help you.

ALL XJ8s from 1998 through 2003 model years are X308s - that is the shared platform. XJ8s between 2004 and 2007 are on the X350 platform, and even though they are still called XJ8, they are a very different car than what you have. Many of us on this forum have or have had both models, but I'm not going to get into a discussion about your X308 here because it is not fair to those users that come here specifically to find info appropriate to the X350.

I tried to give you that information, told you how to find the correct forum (where it even shows the applicable model years), and I even gave you the link to the right forum. There is even a forum for general technical questions that will give you exposure to lots of other members besides those just focused on your specific model. I wish you luck in finding the answers you need.
Goose

Last edited by V7Goose; 03-11-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Hi New user

Just to let you in on things in a slightly less abrupt way.........

This forum commonly uses the Jaguar engineering development designation for a particular model, because Jaguar continues to sell cars as XJs (6, 8, or 12 cylinder engines), but the XJ model designation goes right back to 1968 !! That car was very, very different from your XJ8 and the current XJ8 (and 6 in Europe) made of aluminium, although you can see the original Sir William Lyons (founder of Jaguar) design in the later models. So it is easier to use the engineering designation, (used by the development team and freely made available by Jaguar), to split up the forum so posters with a problem will most likely get somebody who knows about the particular model

Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by V7Goose
Look, I know you are new here, and apparently new to these cars, but try not to get so uppity about things you don't understand yet - we are just trying to help. If you want good answers to your questions, you are really going to have to post them in the correct forums. When someone responds with some information that you do not understand, try to do a search on the term and learn about it. At least consider asking for clarification before you decide to correct someone trying to help you.

ALL XJ8s from 1998 through 2003 model years are X308s - that is the shared platform. XJ8s between 2004 and 2007 are on the X350 platform, and even though they are still called XJ8, they are a very different car than what you have. Many of us on this forum have or have had both models, but I'm not going to get into a discussion about your X308 here because it is not fair to those users that come here specifically to find info appropriate to the X350.

I tried to give you that information, told you how to find the correct forum (where it even shows the applicable model years), and I even gave you the link to the right forum. There is even a forum for general technical questions that will give you exposure to lots of other members besides those just focused on your specific model. I wish you luck in finding the answers you need.
Goose
Sorry for my mistake and thanks for the information and clarification. Yes I am new to these cars. I come from an '06 GTO and never owned a Jag till now.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Smile It'll Come

Don't worry, you'll learn, but these cars are complicated, and there is a lot to learn (especially as they age). We have all been through it. I put 120,000 miles on my 2000 XJ8, and when I suddenly needed a replacement last month, I had to start the learning process all over again to decide what I really wanted. It ain't easy, but if you keep reading in these forums and find a mechanic you trust who will actually talk to you, the picture will come together. I'd suggest you start by posting your location and asking for suggestions on good mechanics in your area, both independent and dealers. Then take that car in for a full inspection - what you learn will be well worth the $50 or so. Good luck.
Goose

Old 03-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

... redirected to the correct area

get those P codes read and report back

Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I say that if you "just purchased" it , you go back to the seller, since it seems to have had a hidden defect. The CEL was probably just reset, then it threw the code again on the way home.
My WILD GUESS is the fuel pump inlet screen, but I sure wouldn't take any replacement action until I diagnosed the codes and so on, as recommended.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Damn ya'll are brutal, and i thought i was
you need to pull codes, go to auto parts store, be aware some codes are jaguar specific, and not accurate when they drift from the norm.
With what we have so far i would need a crystal ball or be psychic...i have neither ability

Old 03-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Thank you all for the responses. So apparently there's 2 separate issues. The strong vibration is due to a bad tire in the front. Sears auto checked the suspension bushings/aliment,balancing and it all looks good except for the one unevenly worn tire possibly due to a warped brake rotor since the car vibrates when braking.

As far as the misfiring at highways speeds it does looks to me like it might be a fuel pump/filter issue. The engine light is been on but as soon as I get on a hill road the light goes from on to blinking and then steady again once the car is at a flat level. Also when the car is at idle speeds in drive and my foot on the brakes it kind of pulsates back and forth so i have to put the shifter on N and the the idling is smooth again. I will take it to autozone today to get the codes and post the code. Thanks again

Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Default Got the codes

Ok so according to Autozone's scanner I have a "Cylinder 8 missfire" and the codes are: P038- P1314- P1316- P1642- P1111. What do these mean?

Also something happened after the scanner was unplugged. I turned on the engine and all these different warnings messages came on including the red warning light and I couldn't move the shifter from park. I figured maybe it was something to do with the plugging the scanner so I just turned off the engine and waited a few seconds and the warnings went away except for the engine light, amber light and the "limited performance" but I was able to drive it.

Many thanks for any imput.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by newuser
Ok so according to Autozone's scanner I have a "Cylinder 8 missfire" and the codes are: P038- P1314- P1316- P1642- P1111. What do these mean?

Also something happened after the scanner was unplugged. I turned on the engine and all these different warnings messages came on including the red warning light and I couldn't move the shifter from park. I figured maybe it was something to do with the plugging the scanner so I just turned off the engine and waited a few seconds and the warnings went away except for the engine light, amber light and the "limited performance" but I was able to drive it.

Many thanks for any imput.
Sorry, the first code is P0308. I guess there's no way no edit posts once they're posted.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Jaguar!

First thing you need is a copy of JTIS which is the official factory/dealer repair manual in use through '03. It is available as a free download here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9933

The codes all (sorta) point to #8 cylinder, left rear. Plug, coil pack, injector, fuel pressure as likely issues. Easiest thing is to swap the coil packs first. Eight and seven. See where the misfire goes. Same with spark plug or just replace them all.

You might read through the FAQ sticky on the XK8/R forum for lots of information on just about anything you want to know.

Oh, by the way, as a new owner of a 9 year old Jaguar with a 134k miles on it you need your very own personal code scanner.

You should have an 'edit' box in the lower right of your posts, but not others'.

Last edited by test point; 03-12-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by test point
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Jaguar!

First thing you need is a copy of JTIS which is the official factory/dealer repair manual in use through '03. It is available as a free download here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9933

The codes all (sorta) point to #8 cylinder, left rear. Plug, coil pack, injector, fuel pressure as likely issues. Easiest thing is to swap the coil packs first. Eight and seven. See where the misfire goes. Same with spark plug or just replace them all.

You might read through the FAQ sticky on the XK8/R forum for lots of information on just about anything you want to know.

Oh, by the way, as a new owner of a 9 year old Jaguar with a 134k miles on it you need your very own personal code scanner.

You should have an 'edit' box in the lower right of your posts, but not others'.
Thanks for the link and the info.

Btw the code I posted above "P1642" may actually be P1647. Can't really tell if the last digit is a 2 or a 7 since I wasn't the one who wrote it.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

cylinder 8 misfire, if it was me I would change that coil and since its number 8 back cyklinder drivers side. the coil may be swimming in oil from cam covers leaking into plug wells. the other are cat dmaamge, cause by a severe enough misifre to damage them and results in restricted performance. at least pull and swap 2 coils and see if it moves with coil, and again pull all the coils up and check for oil

Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Brutal,

Your note about oil reminds me of 3 years ago when I found 4 spark plug 'holes' completely filled with oil on my brand new, 7 year old, XK8. Scared me ! ! !

Car ran fine with the oil. Sucked all the oil out and replaced the gasket (seals). Car still ran fine.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:27 PM

Here's a dumb question: Where are the coils located? I removed the engine cover but the only thing I saw there was the fuel rail/injectors. Do I need to remove the valve covers to get to them? Are they hard to to get to and replace?

Better yet, does anybody know where I can find a picture/diagram of these engines(engine by it sef) so I can see where all the components are located. I goggled for pics of the engine but didn't find anything, maybe because I still don't know the engine code name? Thanks!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Brutal,

Your note about oil reminds me of 3 years ago when I found 4 spark plug 'holes' completely filled with oil on my brand new, 7 year old, XK8. Scared me ! ! !

Car ran fine with the oil. Sucked all the oil out and replaced the gasket (seals). Car still ran fine.
Yes, the oil, itself may not be an issue... but the dirt and other crap the oil collects over time can be conductive and eventually short the spark to the head.

Quick Reply: Vibrates and loss of power when reach 50 mph