XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Coil Conversion Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott Coil Conversion Kit

Hey, new member here. I just got my 2004 VDP back from getting the suspension replaced with the new Arnott coil kit. I think it was just released today.

JAGUAR Air Suspension Parts - XJ Series 2004-2010 XJ Series

So far, so good. If any issues arise, I'll report to the forum.

If you are in the Austin, TX area, I had it done at Luxury Auto Works. The owner, Thomas Dere, is a straight-talking, good guy. Apparently, he was very impressed with the kit.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I am very curious to know your impression of the ride characteristics, especially if you owned the car for a time before having the coil over kit.

Do you notice any significant differences in ride, handling, reaction to road imperfections, etc?

This information could prove valuable to many here. Thanks for any input you're willing to give us.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 PM

Unfortunately, I have no point of reference - I acquired the car about two months ago and all four original shock bags and the compressor were shot.

I knew I had to replace the suspension when I bought it, and used it as leverage at the dealership to get a great deal.

If anyone in the Austin, TX area wants to compare rides, I would welcome the opportunity.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I just read the installation instructions for this. It tells you to remove the ASM and tie the wires. No word of any new modules or programming to eliminate erroneous messages. I would assume you could remove the air system unless you wanted to retain it for tire fill.

Brutal, have you seen this conversion?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:06 PM

"I would assume you could remove the air system unless you wanted to retain it for tire fill."

Great thinking! My first thought would be that Arnott is private-labeling the kit from those other guys. I would be surprised if they engineered their own.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

The other coilover system is twice the price. Plus they are very secretive about some "module" that must be added to keep the computers happy.

The Arnott system implies that you just do away with the ASM. Brutal says it must be retained. I tried calling Arnott's tech support but got no answer.

If I get one more bag failure I will go to coilovers.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:02 PM

I'm leaning this way, when I start having hissy failures, but only if I can verify that I won't suffer a tangible degradation in ride quality and handling characteristics.

I frequently drive my XJR shall we say, enthusiastically, and I love the ride the air suspension provides. Jaguar deliberately went to air suspension for the weight reduction changes in ride characteristics that lightening the chassis accomplished in the X350 over the X300. I don't want my Jag riding like a Crown Vic on the one side, or a lowered Mustang on the other.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 PM

I confirmed with my mechanic that the ASM is removed with the Arnott coil conversion.

So, some people think the ASM is necessary for other functions? Like what? Perhaps ASM is a bit of a misnomer.

This forum rocks. I've already been able to correctly diagnose issues thanks to the info posted here.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Well i for one thought the asm needs to stay in the network since its on the can network and other modules look for its info. But maybe its legged in like the cats system on the stype. If you remove that module the system just thinks it not equipted and ignores the missing module. Now motorcars system retains the module and supplies resistor pins to duplicate the shocks resistance to the module and retain the module, so i would have assumed they found out it needed to be retained, evidently not. And of course their system is twice the money.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Their system is twice as much and uses a mystery work around. The only question left is the ride comparison of the two.

I got a good bag from Brutal for my one blown one but the next time one goes it's coilovers for me.

Eddie 04 VDP

Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All I can say is WOW! Im going coilovers because when its cold outside my 2005 XJR has a mind of its own. Once again thanks for the update everyone that's why I love this forum.

The following users liked this post:
Cadillac (12-03-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

On their page it says the custom monotube shock absorbers are valved to ride like the OEM Air Suspension.

I'm curious how close they got.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 AM

If they've pegged the ride quality and handling characteristics in that kit, it's a no-brainer. Even if my compressor goes first, I would be sorely tempted to do the conversion. Kudos to Arnott.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:55 AM

I would imagine that they've already thought ahead to have separate units for XJR's "sport" suspension.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have any pictures? I'm curious about the ride height. Is the height manually adjustable?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
If you remove that module the system just thinks it not equipted and ignores the missing module.
I wonder how the headlamp levelling copes without the ASM as it takes input from it to level the HID's.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by u102768
I wonder how the headlamp levelling copes without the ASM as it takes input from it to level the HID's.
Good question. Could require some manual adjustment. Still no answer from them about my questions.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by 04XJ8
Do you have any pictures? I'm curious about the ride height. Is the height manually adjustable?

Thanks!
I'll post a pic soon. The ride height is not manually adjustable.

I had a chance to open her up a bit on some hill country roads last weekend, and I'm impressed so far. But, as stated earlier, I have no point of reference.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by MK 82
Good question. Could require some manual adjustment. Still no answer from them about my questions.
Actually, my headlights seem somewhat low. Not dangerous by any means, but lower. Didn't really think about it until your post.

I'd like to think there is an easy manual adjustment. Hmmm... checking around now.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:17 AM

I saw this posted elsewhere:

"* The headlight leveling system was eliminated from the X350 during the 2005 MY, starting at VIN G39155 onward.
The system was deemed unnecessary due to the self-leveling capabilities of the air suspension system.

The later wiring diagrams still show a 'Headlamp leveling module' so who knows?
"

My 04 VDP still gets the rise and fall of the xenons, so should I assume I have this leveling system (albeit some manual hex bolt tinkering could help raise them to where I want)?

If so, the ASM may not be necessary.

Quick Reply: Arnott Coil Conversion Kit