Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR 2003 - 2009

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Smile XJ8 2005 P1251 code

I had a eng sys failure display along with DSC not available and Parkbrake failure the car went into limp home mode. Got it home scanned with my code reader it showed a P1251. Read the Forums and thought for sure I was going to need a throttle body.

I went on Justanswer.com and found a master Jauar tech Richard sent him my symptoms he suggested looking at the number 24 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box a 20amp fuse. It did not look blown but replaced it with a spare from the trunk the faults all wne t away and I could accelerate again. Turned off the check engine light with my scanner and all is good now. Thought I would share the experience $30 on Justanswer.com.

Bill
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,067 Times in 933 Posts
gus@jagrepair.com
Send a message via Skype™ to Gus

Good to know! After the fuse was replaced did you check the old one for continuity? Was just wondering if it was blown or just a bad connection.

XK8 1999 126,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 120,000mi K&N Filter
“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”― W.C. Fields
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Old 10-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniland View Post
I had a eng sys failure display along with DSC not available and Parkbrake failure the car went into limp home mode. Got it home scanned with my code reader it showed a P1251. Read the Forums and thought for sure I was going to need a throttle body.

I went on Justanswer.com and found a master Jauar tech Richard sent him my symptoms he suggested looking at the number 24 fuse in the engine compartment fuse box a 20amp fuse. It did not look blown but replaced it with a spare from the trunk the faults all wne t away and I could accelerate again. Turned off the check engine light with my scanner and all is good now. Thought I would share the experience $30 on Justanswer.com.

Bill
The code you got is clearly a throttle motor circuit power problem, not the throttle body. A lot of problems get caused by incorrect code analysis. I suggest getting a subscription to Alldata.com so that you get the right information. If you had Alldata, you would have found this yourself and saved some worry,money and time.
04 Jeep Wrangler
09 Kawasaki Concours 1400
65 BMW R69S
67 Velocette Venom Thruxton
89 Honda GB500TT
Old 10-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniland View Post

Bill
What is fuse #24 designated for in your car? I do not have that information available to me and would like to better understand how it applies. I could not use AllData because it is year and car specific. This is an interesting find!

“If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.”― W.C. Fields
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.-Albert Einstein
“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of IDIOTS.” – Albert Einstein
Old 10-24-2010, 02:03 PM

Ironically, I had this same thing occur to me last night. I left the car out front for the evening and check the boards this morning and found this thread. Went out to check the fuse but decided to start up the car anyway to see if problem persisted. It went away overnight. Gonna swap the fuse now to see if the problem re-occurs.

Loving this board!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Happened again last night, but in the car's defense, I didn't change the fuse like I said I would.

Changed the fuse and it runs fine, but now check engine light stays on. Is there a way to reset this light without buying a scan tool? If not, what scan tool do you guys recommend? I might as well get one.

Btw, checked the old fuse for continuity and it seems fine - maybe it's just getting old?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member

gus@jagrepair.com

I am not convinced that the problem is the fuse. I find it strange that when you are fooling around with the fuse box it runs. Check the code and see what comes up. My suggestion is to check all your connections from the battery to the fuse box and make them clean. Oxidation on the connections can play games with you. If you elect to do this first disconnect the battery and at the same time check the grounding connections. Keep in mind that a bad connection can cause a code.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM

Happened again. Needs a new throttle body. But my warranty covers me (EasyCare TotalCare pkg). And my dealer is taking care of a couple of other things under the warranty too!
Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 PM

Tags
2005, 2006, accelerator, box, compartment, engine, forums, fuse, jaguar, justanswercom, problem, rav4, richard, sovereign, xj8, xj8l, xk