XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

2 months in, my comments

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts
Default 2 months in, my comments

Well, I am coming up on 2 months of ownership and overall, I am very happy with the car, not without a few oddities that I have noticed. These would be:

-right after starting the car (as the RPMs are coming down and sometimes for up to 10 seconds after), the car has a little wobble to it like the engine is out of balance. That is about the only way I can describe it. The other way I would describe it is like having a car with a very aggressive cam in it that is lubbing. Anyone else experience this?
-the average MPG reading is not even close to accurate. I routinely get this to indicate at 25+ MPG. Yet, when I look at the miles travelled and the gas used, I come up with a very different number. The MPG is off by say 10% (it will say 25.0 MPG, but I will calculate 22.5 MPG). Is there a way to recalibrate this? I am not expecting it to be dead accurate, but I would think that it could be a little more accurate than that. I know the speedo is accurate (0.6% error at 75 mph, ie, I indicate 75 mph when the car is actually traveling just under 76 mph).
-the seat cooling system is not as strong as I would think it should be. Occasionally it will really cool the seat and will do what I would expect. But, most of the time, I can't say that I notice the seat being cooled. Are there lines under the seat that get twisted up/pinched, blocking the air flow/cooling? Not a big deal as I normally am in and out of the car often enough that trying to keep the system on is not worth the time to go through all the menus to turn it on.
-the center console chrome needs to go!!!!!!! Where I normally sit, I find that in the afternoon the sun will shine in through the windshield, reflect off that, and hit me right in the face. What have others done? Just curious. Thinking this might be part of my "black chrome package" that I have planned.

I am loving the car though. The guys I work with are still giving me complements on the car and think I am nuts for parking it in with the other vehicles. They think I should be parking it out in the middle of no where. I just laugh. I think it will be a hard sell to get me out of the car as I am loving how it drives. I periodically drive the wife's Ford Fusion (with the I-4 2.5L motor). I am spoiled by the low end torque of the 5.0L in my car. I almost dread driving her car now as I have to wait to plan my passes a lot more.

The final "problem" that I have with the car was placed there by the grandson. I seem to have a little minion that giggles every time I accelerate at a decent rate. Needless to say, my mileage has suffered because of this as I love hearing that minion giggle. Lets just say the traction control tends to get a work out. LMAO.

The following users liked this post:
retriever-007 (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad you like this automobile. I've had mine since last November and love it. Be safe and enjoy.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The XJ has active motor mounts which are computer controlled.

Maybe mention it while at the dealer? They could check the programming and see if the mounts are still OK?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6

Maybe mention it while at the dealer? They could check the programming and see if the mounts are still OK?
Has there ever been another car with "active" motor mounts?

Makes one wonder why a part designed to remove "activity" in its very nature would need to be "active".

Old 08-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

tbird, that would make sense. It isn't anything that I am worried about the car breaking itself, but it develops this will engine wobble every now and then. Probably need to schedule something and see what they can do. I had made the assumption that it had standard motor mounts like every other vehicle.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:41 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad you mentioned the sun reflection on the centre console. I have had my XJ for 2-3 months and this has happened to me only once.

Thankfully here in the UK the default weather is drab (even in Summer). Despite this, I once was out driving the XJ when that big strange yellow thing in the sky was out and I too got blinded by the reflection in the center console.... I had to drive with my one elbow raised to block the reflection!

Then the road turned slightly and I had the same thing on my drivers door handle chrome. I had to raise my other elbow... I was driving like some nutter with both elbows in the air! God knows what I looked like?

Living the Jaguar dream!

Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a 2014 XJL, and have to say hands down the best cruiser, luxury car that i have ever owned. My niece just said to me, Uncle Joe, will you please keep this car this time...., this is totally you, and a beauty! I agree with her, and although my toy is a J-Type S, 2015, I now have the complimentary euphoria in automobiles for this guy. Plan on sitting on these for a while. Extremely happy to say the least!!!!

Good luck with your car, as you have a beauty as well!!!

retriever-007 (08-17-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

That engine wobble you describe is interesting. My x350 does it too.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:51 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also can attest to the engine wobble. Very negligible but I notice it. My car at idle also sounds a bit rough engine wise. Again negligible but I'd expect a car like this to be very quiet. I attribute it to the throaty exhaust. I love the sound of the XJ when you're hammering that gas pedal.

I will also say the seat issue you refer to is likely not an issue at all. These aren't air conditioned seats, they're "cooled" seats. Meaning there's just a fan likely spinning to push whatever air temp in your car through your seats. You'll find they feel cooler when your A/C is on.

All the Mercedes I've owned did the same thing. The ONLY car I ever owned with literally air conditioned seats (best feature ever) was my Phaeton. A car made before it's time! The only car I've owned that when you hit the memory recall button even the rear view mirror adjusts. I digress. I don't know why everyone doesn't do the air conditioned seats, nothing is better than that!

retriever-007 (08-17-2015)
Old 08-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Veteran member

derrick, I will have to do some looking into the seats and see what I can do about them. I get bursts some time of some good cooling. Other times, well, I can't really tell it is on. Maybe I can make something a bit "better" (gotta love being a submariner where some duct tape and bailing wire can fix just about anything, LMAO).

Make sure to keep your eyes open for the APOJ6 meeting this fall. Our last one in June had about 40 Jags there. This one is going to be out in Fairfax. It is a good time and the meal afterwards is always worth the conversations that happen.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Count me in. I will be on the lookout for the meet up. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:58 PM
Veteran member

Derrick, check out: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...2015-a-145579/. That will have all the info that you will need. I will be there. I am on of the few that has the new XJ and the only black one that I am aware of. So, should be easy to spot me. If you talk to anyone there, they will know Thermo.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 PM
Default Marking Calendar

I'm marking my calendar. By you're the only one with a black XJ I'm assuming you mean a new black XJ? Because I have a black XJL and I feel like everytime I see one they're black. These cars rarely look good in any other color. Now if people would stop thinking I'm a ****ing uber driver everytime I pull up to my GFs work (a hotel) I would be in business. The good part is I can park out front of the hotel and go inside and the valet guys never question. Lol.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Veteran member

Derrick, see you there. I guess we will be twins. We will have to park side by side and confuse people.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:01 PM
Location: Mooresville, NC (Race City USA), home of most NASCAR teams.
Received 480 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6
To my knowledge in 2005, Jaguar introduced the diesel-powered XJ TDVi, featuring the same Ford-Peugeot-developed 2.7 liter twin-turbo V6 found in the S-Type. The engine, known as the AJD-V6, produces 204 hp and 321 lb·ft of torque, and was fitted with electronically controlled active engine mounts to minimize vibration at idle. But I wasn't aware the X351 XJ with V-8 engines employed or needed this technology.

Interesting, if true.