XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Burning rubber smell with light smoke ..., help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning rubber smell with light smoke ..., help !!!!

I own a 1999 Jag XJ8-L 4.0, just last week I had to replace the fuel pump and also did an oil change, this was done just last week. I now notice when I'm driving and I come to a stop I smell a burning rubber smell coming from the engine in the front drivers side, and at night with the headlights illuminated I can see a small amount of light smoke ..., the smoke comes out from where the drivers side headlamps are. Can anyone venture a guess as to what the problem might be .....????????

Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover gasket???

i have the same issue

Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I notice this too after climbing a steep grade for 3/4 miles burning rubber smell with a slight wiff of steam or smoke when I lift the hood but it is so slight, you can't see it. Hoping it is just radiator blow off.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by UKnFor-dluv-expat
I notice this too after climbing a steep grade for 3/4 miles burning rubber smell with a slight wiff of steam or smoke when I lift the hood but it is so slight, you can't see it. Hoping it is just radiator blow off.
Although Glenbar66 and Joe Downing have different models, they both have essentially the same V8 engine which is well known for failing Cam Cover seals.

Your X-Type may have a similar fault but I suggest you post the question in X-Type - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum section for advice from members with the same model.

Graham

Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

UKnFor, odds are, what you are smelling (contrary to what others may be smelling) is actually the transfer case getting warm. That will cause what you are seeing and smelling. I had the same thing when I started a trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia. Due to the heavy use of power going up the long grade, it is putting a lot of load on the transfer case, therefore heating it up. You don't notice it under a hard acceleration as you are only doing it for but 10 seconds or so and not enough heat can be generated to produce a smell.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for response to burnt rubber smell

That makes more sense in line with what I found here. Transmission Filters for 2002 Jaguar X-Type

They mention "burning rubber" sympton of clogging tranny filter.

they state that:

Transmission Filters for 2002 Jaguar X-Type

Forgetting to replace your car’s transmission fluid and filter regularly is easy to do, but it can really harm your Jaguar, X-Type. The transmission filter keeps the transmission fluid clean, and thus helps the entire transmission run smoothly. A clogged or dirty transmission filter can cause a transmission to wear out too quickly or perform erratically. Keeping the transmission fluid in a Jaguar, X-Type clean is much easier if you remember to replace the transmission filter every 30,000 miles or every two years. The signs of a dirty filter or dirty transmission fluid are not always obvious. It might be time for a fluid and filter change if a Jaguar, X-Type has varnish on its transmission dipstick, a sharp smell like burning rubber, rough shifting, buzzing or clicking sounds or transmission fluid that has changed to brown or yellow from its original red.I will try that then look at the cam cover gaskets, but I notice no oil leak or oil burning smell at, if any a slight radiator smell, but only after climbing the grade.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by wesmc2
on the x-type it is usually oil spilled on the exhaust when changing the filter, on the xj8 it is also oil, but from another source. Since it is on the drivers side I hope you just got some spilled when filling. Otherwise I would suspect too much oil in the car. Althought the valve covers do often leak on the 4.0 this would be slow over time, not suddenly. In the xk8 and xj8 oil leaking from the valve covers is usually easy to see. BUT 9 times outta ten when someone has just changed their oil then has this problem it is usually from where you put the oil in or where it drains out.
I agree, these engines a pretty oil tight if servicing is done properly.

The oil filler hole can dribble oil down into the valley or onto the metal exhaust port gasket which is between the cam cover bottom edge and the manifolds.
Have a look around these arteas with a bright torch and you will usually see where the oil is leaking from or has been spilt by a sloppy operator.

The cam cover rubber seals differ between the earlier AJ26 engine and the later AJ27 engine and as with all things mechanical they wear out eventually.

The only way to fit them properly is to have everything scrupulously clean and free of all oil traces before the new gaskets are in place....not just the main gaskets but including the bolt seals....especially the ones on the inner two bolts between plugs.

Make sure the plug well seals are seated properly before tightening down to no more than 8-10nm....nine times out of ten trouble is due to over tightening of the cam cover whicj will lead to distortion and an oil leak.

These plastic composite covers seem to leak more from the rear end allowing oil to drip onto the top of the catalytic converters where they join the exhaust manifold....that's all it is really.

Give a suspected area a clean with carb or brake cleaner and keep note....whatever you do, don't go bezerk with a pressure sprayer or steam cleaner....keep them well away from these engines unless you have a fetish for fixing unecessary poroblems ;o]

Last edited by xjay8; 11-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:28 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

on the x-type it is usually oil spilled on the exhaust when changing the filter, on the xj8 it is also oil, but from another source. Since it is on the drivers side I hope you just got some spilled when filling. Otherwise I would suspect too much oil in the car. Althought the valve covers do often leak on the 4.0 this would be slow over time, not suddenly. In the xk8 and xj8 oil leaking from the valve covers is usually easy to see. BUT 9 times outta ten when someone has just changed their oil then has this problem it is usually from where you put the oil in or where it drains out.