XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Huge antifreeze puddle again! :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

That looks like the atmospheric overflow tank. It catches coolant that overflows the regular coolant reservoir. It must have filled up and overflowed. The reason it overflowed is either the coolant reservoir cap is not holding pressure or, the cooling system is overheating and coolant is escaping via the reservoir cap due to the pressure. Do you have an OBDII reader ? Or can you tell the temperature of the engine when this happens ? (with a RealGauge or infrared thermometer) Of course you know not to trust the temperature gauge in the dash, right ?

The following users liked this post:
Safi (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

+1

It is the Atmospheric Recovery Bottle (see item 5). Oddly labelled as Header Tank in this Parts Manual extract:

I find the Parts Manual diagram makes it easier to trace cooling system components and connections.

In addition to Jim's suggestions, check for a detached or split Expansion Hose (item 4).

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Huge antifreeze puddle again! :(-x308-cooling.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Safi (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm safi..i have no idea what that could be, ive learned so much on this blog its awesome! and danielsand..im not sure if gabriel really wants to work on my vehicle. he keeps saying that he is going to do it and then never calls me back so im a little dissapointed as well as baffled! do you know any other reliable mechanics that can get my kitty up and running again or possibly a reliable shop? please help! ive been waiting around and ive gotten nowhere. just figured id try to see if you would know a place or someone else i could go to..thanks! i cant go to lunch with if my car is not working

Old 01-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
That looks like the atmospheric overflow tank. It catches coolant that overflows the regular coolant reservoir. It must have filled up and overflowed. The reason it overflowed is either the coolant reservoir cap is not holding pressure or, the cooling system is overheating and coolant is escaping via the reservoir cap due to the pressure. Do you have an OBDII reader ? Or can you tell the temperature of the engine when this happens ? (with a RealGauge or infrared thermometer) Of course you know not to trust the temperature gauge in the dash, right ?
thanks for the feedback, well i noticed the heat wasnt working properly so i was on my way to a shop to flush the system, and all of a sudden everything messes up, so i guess ill fill her up again and put a new reservoir cap on order. and thanks GGG for the image, it makes it A LOT easier to see where all the hoses are and connect to

Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by metalgoddess
hmmm safi..i have no idea what that could be, ive learned so much on this blog its awesome! and danielsand..im not sure if gabriel really wants to work on my vehicle. he keeps saying that he is going to do it and then never calls me back so im a little dissapointed as well as baffled! do you know any other reliable mechanics that can get my kitty up and running again or possibly a reliable shop? please help! ive been waiting around and ive gotten nowhere. just figured id try to see if you would know a place or someone else i could go to..thanks! i cant go to lunch with if my car is not working
I asked him about your car yesterday, and he told me that it doesn't start now? I think he has a problem getting the car to his shop. Do you have AAA? If not, (and the car doesn't start), you are going to have it towed on your dime to his shop. He does not have a tow truck. I called him yesterday, and sent him to my wife's work to look at her Tabby, and tell me what it needs done, and he was there in 30 minutes.
If you are prepared to tow it (or drive it carefully), call me and I will coordinate with him. I don't know anyone else that can do it as cheap as he can.

Update: Just spoke with Goddess and Gabriel, and the Kitty will be towed today to the shop. Mechanic had a problem getting the car to his shop (not equipped for mobile work at the residence).

Last edited by danielsand; 01-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Safi
thanks for the feedback, well i noticed the heat wasnt working properly so i was on my way to a shop to flush the system, and all of a sudden everything messes up, so i guess ill fill her up again and put a new reservoir cap on order. and thanks GGG for the image, it makes it A LOT easier to see where all the hoses are and connect to
When my heat stops, I instantly think low water, stuck thermostat, or non working water pump. And, of course the Pressure Cap as mentioned. EDIT: I also pull over immediately till I know what it is. If no water flow is happening, it does not take long to kill an engine.

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Waterpump is a possibility. There's a lot in the archives on them. I replaced mine with a metal-vaned water pump a while ago. I know a lot of people now say the newer plastic ones are better than the metal, but I'll live with it.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

That looks almost exactly what my car was doing the first time, which was crossed lines at the fill reservoir (item 1 in the diagram posted earlier). Whenever I'd park the car, the coolant in that tank (item 5) would boil over and puke coolant all over the driveway. The lines out of the fill reservoir had just been improperly installed at some point. It's sort of counter-intuitive how they're supposed to be. Here's a link to the thread I did that has a good picture of how the lines are supposed to be set up.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-solved-75106/

Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande
That looks almost exactly what my car was doing the first time, which was crossed lines at the fill reservoir (item 1 in the diagram posted earlier). Whenever I'd park the car, the coolant in that tank (item 5) would boil over and puke coolant all over the driveway. The lines out of the fill reservoir had just been improperly installed at some point. It's sort of counter-intuitive how they're supposed to be. Here's a link to the thread I did that has a good picture of how the lines are supposed to be set up.

Sounds like you hit the nail right on the head with this one. He just had those hoses replaced.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cabezagrande

ha, you should see the road entering my neighborhood, big wet stream of coolant, you can follow it right up to my Garage

well the lines seem to be in the correct order, will do more testing either tonight or tomorrow

Last edited by Safi; 01-16-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Safi
ha, you should see the road entering my neighborhood, big wet stream of coolant, you can follow it right up to my Garage

well the lines seem to be in the correct order, will do more testing either tonight or tomorrow
Be careful, because if you are overheating, (Something your temp gauge will not tell you till it's too late), you can be causing very expensive damage to the engine.

EDIT: Jaguar temp gauges are more like idiot gauges. They don't move from the middle position until it's too late.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default puddles

To both Safi and Metalgoddess, this might sound like a silly question, but when you top up your coolant, do you fill to the top of the reservoir, or do you leave about 1" (3cm) free space to allow for expansion? Other cause of overflow could be a defective pressure cap.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

fred - if I have 1" of air space under my cap the 'Low Coolant' message shows on the dash.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default puddles

Quadmaniac, mine is very touchy in that way too. I suspect it is almost time to replace the sensor. Did you see the recent post about an owner who was having mysterious problems with his coolant tank sensor? I think he fixed it by making it more buoyant with some plastic .

Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM

Fred, i fill mine up all the way, but then i allow the system to burp the air out, sometimes it overflows, sometimes it doesnt

Old 01-17-2013, 11:02 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Jaguar recommendation for correct coolant level is to the base of the filler neck:

Checked when COLD.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Huge antifreeze puddle again! :(-x308-coolant-level.jpg  
Old 01-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

bad news guys..i found out today that i have a gasket issue..it is going to cost me $1500 to fix this..very upset as i dont have that much money right now to fix my kitty..she will have to sit until i am able to save that much..devastated! simply devastated thank you guys for all of your help..i guess im lucky i dont have a blown engine...

Old 01-20-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by metalgoddess
bad news guys..i found out today that i have a gasket issue..it is going to cost me $1500 to fix this..very upset as i dont have that much money right now to fix my kitty..she will have to sit until i am able to save that much..devastated! simply devastated thank you guys for all of your help..i guess im lucky i dont have a blown engine...
if you could find yourself a mechanically inclined friend, ask if he has the time to work on the car, that way all you need to pay for is parts (a lot cheaper) and beer!!!