XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

1994 Vanden Plas teardown help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Vanden Plas teardown help

Finally started the tear down on the parts car. Unfortunately the repair manual I had doesn't really help much regarding interior trim, so hear are my questions that I am currently stumped on:

1. Rear reading lights over the Opera window. I can see no way to remove this so I can get the opera window trim piece out.

2. small trim piece, just in front of the opera window, the one that has the hanger hook on it. there is a piece covering the screw to remove the trim piece, but I'm afraid of forcing it. Not sure exactly how it is held on.

3. removing the aluminum panels from the floor when you open the doors.

If there is a guide somewhere that tells me how to strip this beast without destroying parts, I'd love a link. I have about a week to tear this down to bare bones.

thanks.

Old 12-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

I don't know of a teardown guide, but the Jaguar parts diagrams may be helpful. You can download the Jaguar Electronic Parts Catalog from this forum and install it on your computer, or you can see most of the same information at jaguarclassicparts.com.

For those C-pillar reading lamps, see the screw, Part 9 in the illustration below. Pull the lamp straight out of its mounting cup, then twist or pivot it slightly out of the way to access the screw.

For the coat hook trim, see the next illustration. The screw cover probably comes out by gently prying/prizing it out with a small flat-bladed screwdriver:

For the door sill plate removal, there are a couple of photos in my album on door weatherstrip replacement that should help:

Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-22-2016 at 10:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
93SB (12-26-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 PM

the picture helped. parts 9 and 10. I wasn't sure if that was one piece or not. I see it's 2.

bad news is that is really tight, it seems like I'm likely to damage that trying to pry it loose.

I'll ceck your tutorials, thanks

Old 12-23-2016, 01:35 AM

AH, ok... in the opera light lamp, I removed the screw labeled 9. However the remainder of the apparatus, once free from being mounted to the body do not fit through the hole in the c pillar trim panel. EDIT/WOW....tricky.....after looking at it, I found a way to weasel it out gently, but it was an incredibly tight fit. Twisting the entire unit to the side, and squeezing the narrowest possible end through much like trying to fit a couch through a door/EDIT

I presumed that the flip out portion must come apart to allow it to pass through the opening in the opera window panel.

Last edited by FirstAvenger; 12-23-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:15 PM

Ok, so this is pretty slow going. Thanks for the references, they helped.

I found a number of images for the center console, but they don't help. First off, my console appears to be different than the ones pictured. Mine doesn't have the side screws at the base. Also I can find no reference to that tiny little tray thing behind the console.

One pic indicates there may be retaining screws somewhere completely different than my repair guide shows. I'll try again on that tomorrow. However, any idea why my console might be different than other 94's shown in pics?

thanks.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by FirstAvenger
However, any idea why my console might be different than other 94's shown in pics?

The pics you're referring to may be of the Base or Sovereign trim. If I recall, to remove that small tray behind the center console of a VDP, carefully pry up the Jaguar growler badge and there's a screw underneath. Remove that and lift the leather piece. If the tray won't lift up now, you may need to pry out the veneer piece to access additional screws.

For the center console, once you get the arm rest/lid off and the plastic cassette holder and compartment out, I think there is one screw at each rear corner of the console. You may need to detach the air ducts either before, or as you eventually lift up the console when you get the front end loose.

The trim around the gearshift lever will pull up with some gentle prying. To remove the ski slope veneer panel, it helps to apply the hand brake, then turn the key to position II and pull the gear shift lever down to Drive and leave it there. If you still don't have enough clearance, remove the gear shift knob. Ahead of the ash tray there are two wingnuts on the underside of the rear end of the ski slope. Carefully remove the wingnuts without dropping them down into the wiring harnesses, then lift up the ski slope so the threaded studs come up out of their holes. The studs have square flat sheet metal tops and can slide out of their slots, so take care not to drop them into the wiring harnesses either. Carefully work the ski slope up, back and out.

About six screws secure the climate control panel and radio trim.

The wood veneer trim around the center vent is attached with spring clips and can be gently pried out with a wide trim tool, putty knife, etc. Behind the vent trim, two screws fasten the upper dash to the center console.

The seat control switches can be carefully pried out and disconnected from the harness.

At the left upper outer corner of the console one of the screws that secures the instrument cluster passes through the IC flange, console, and a metal brace. The screw passes through a welded nut, then through the brace, and then through a nut that is easy to lose when the screw comes loose and the brace springs out and launches the nut into the recesses behind the dash. The photo below shows how I learned my lesson and used a wire zip tie to secure the brace so it couldn't spring free. There's a similar screw and brace on the right upper side of the console.

An 8mm ratcheting wrench and magnetic retriever will help loosen the screw and secure the nut as it comes loose:

At the lower front corners of the console there may be metal flanges screwed to the transmission tunnel - if they're there, they're probably hidden by the carpet - just peel the carpet back to find them.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-24-2016 at 10:31 PM.
93SB (12-26-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 08:44 PM

OK, so progress is being made, if slowly.

The little hangar hooks did not survive removal. Oh well. And I accidentally broke the trim piece over the auto-seat belt on the door post. Really upset about that one.... I can fix the part sort of, by 3d printing a new panel and then casting it. But I can't repair the leather. I suspect matching the leather is going to be next to impossible, so I guess I'll try to hunt down a piece.

Got the console out. Got the knee panels on the dash out, removed the metal plates covering the dash wiring.

Glove box stalled progress. Since I went with the instructions for the base model, something is missing. I got out the six screws at the top of the glove box.

I removed the clips that held the door up and removed the door. I removed the glove box lamp, and popped out the trunk releave switch in the glove box.

SOLID AS A ROCK. something else is holding the glove box in place and I'll be darned if I can find it. ANy suggestions would be great.

Tomorrow I am moving on to the the dash electronics panels and switches, and then remove the dash panel, I HOPE. THe electronics I'm pretty sure the repair manual will be ok. Not sure about the dash panel. I suspect that is going to be more difficult than I had anticipated.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 PM

Glove box stalled progress. Since I went with the instructions for the base model, something is missing. I got out the six screws at the top of the glove box.

I removed the clips that held the door up and removed the door. I removed the glove box lamp, and popped out the trunk releave switch in the glove box.

SOLID AS A ROCK. something else is holding the glove box in place and I'll be darned if I can find it. ANy suggestions would be great.
Hmmm.... What is mystifying about this is that if you are disassembling a 1994 XJ40 I thought you would have an airbag instead of a glove box. Is yours an early '94 car? If so, the photos showing how I removed the glove box on our '93 may be of use:

Not sure about the dash panel. I suspect that is going to be more difficult than I had anticipated.
The dash isn't difficult at all. As I recall, once you've removed the knee bolsters, instrument cluster and glove box, you remove the center air vent and those two screws I mentioned in my earlier post about the center console. At each end of the dash there are a couple of hex-head screws or bolts that secure it to the body. There are electrical connectors for the dash tweeters, alarm diode and solar sensor, and maybe some vacuum hoses for the dash vent solenoids. I don't have a step-by-step phototutorial, but the photos at the link below may help:

Feel free to peruse the rest of my photo albums in case any of them may be of use.

Cheers,

Don

93SB (01-09-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

This may help with your dash component removal. Has lots of pics and info. Scan down to page 5 for interior then follow the dash removal procedure. http://jagrepair.com/images/Electric...t%20%20S28.pdf

Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 PM

Not sure if it is early 94 or not. But yeah, no air bags.

I love technology The hangar clips I scanned and scaled to size, and those are being 3D printed. Doing the same to the trim panel I broke.

I'm giving serious consideration to scanning all the trim pieces I remove and 3D printing copies to cast in a high impact plastic. (benefit of working in the VFX industry)

rain here has slowed progress down a bit, and it's been a bit cold the last couple of days, so progress has been stalled to a crawl. Planning to get back on it Tuesday.

We decided on a final color for the car. Originally I wanted to do the car in a dark silver/gray color, but the new interior being a light tan, we are going with Black Cherry Coke from Kustom Color, with the bonnet, top and boot being black.

Ditching the jaguar emblems on the wings, replacing that with a new Chromed Jaguar emblem, custom 3D printed, and custom chromed LT1 tags to go below the new emblem.

I have not yet determined if the Jaguar rims are a standard sizing, or some oddball British measurement. This is going to make a lot of difference on what I do for wheels and tires on this thing.

Also planning on doing shaved door handles, but not the popper kind. There is another cooler design that has a touch sensor that you just run your hand over and the door opens.

I'm actually getting rather excited to get things rolling along now that we have all the parts we need.