XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

New to the forum, here is my '90 XJS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 12:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New to the forum, here is my '90 XJS

This is the ultimate Craigslist find, $4250.
1990 XJS with an edelbrock crate Chevy 350 (I was told the V12 died a year or so ago) and beautiful 80 spokes. Original interior except for relicated oil pressure and temp gauges, modern stereo head, and a toggle to control the AC pump. (I will post more pics later.)

The following 2 users liked this post by villain:
BC XJS (01-26-2016), Jonathan-W (01-26-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Great having you with us !

Cheers
DD

Old 01-26-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome aboard. Nice Jaaaag.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Your kitty looks clean and nice.
The two added gauges are engine oil pressure and engine oil temp, right? The XJS already comes with an oil press. gauge but I'd assume that with the Chevy conversion maybe it was easier to install a new gauge/sender altogether and just pair it with the new temp gauge.

That toggle switch, how/when will you be using it? Or is it to move the a/c servo after failure of the electronic control module? The latter happened to me on my old XJ12 and I installed a toggle switch to manually rotate the servo.

Myself, I'm planning to install an a/c clutch control via a relay that will shut down the a/c compressor under WOT. I'm sure that one can feel the difference.

Cheers,

Last edited by Forcedair1; 01-27-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added a word
Old 01-27-2016, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Welcome to the Forum. Your kitty looks clean and nice.
The two added gauges are engine oil pressure and engine oil temp, right? The XJS already comes with an oil press. gauge but I'd assume that with the Chevy conversion maybe it was easier to install a new gauge/sender altogether and just pair it with the new temp gauge.

That toggle switch, how/when will you be using it? Or is it to move the a/c servo after failure of the electronic control module? The latter happened to me on my old XJ12 and I installed a toggle switch to manually rotate the servo.

Myself, I'm planning to install an a/c clutch control via a relay that will shut down the a/c compressor under WOT. I'm sure that one can feel the difference.

Cheers,
Your theory about the gauges is correct, and the toggle turns the A/C compressor on and off, the dial only controls the fan now. So dial to low and switch on means a cold breeze, and dial to low but switch off means a temparate breeze. The heat doesn't work, but I don't find much need for that in FL. I will probably have to fix it eventually, as I don't intend to stay in FL, but for now it's nbd.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A very nice car. Welcome.

I was going to ask where you are? FLA.

1. Compressor on/off switches come in some cars. My Jeep has one.
it allows the system to be used as a power vent with windows up in moderate weather.

2. I note the carb'd engine. OK where you are. Not acceptable in our "nanny" state!! FI cars must have an FI engine of the same year or younger. Not sure what would happen should you choose to bring your beauty here.

3. Not sure why the SBC can't accept Jaguar sensors and feed the jaguar gauges. Just an owner choice????

Carl

Old 01-27-2016, 09:38 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

My sbc uses factory gauges. I also have a second set of mech gauges. I prefer the mech gauges for accuracy

Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by BC XJS
My sbc uses factory gauges. I also have a second set of mech gauges. I prefer the mech gauges for accuracy
Yeah, I like the mech gauges, they look good where they are and I like having an actual temp reading instead of just hot or cold.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad
2. I note the carb'd engine. OK where you are. Not acceptable in our "nanny" state!! FI cars must have an FI engine of the same year or younger. Not sure what would happen should you choose to bring your beauty here.
I have plans to convert to FI and boost it... eventually, haha. Gotta convince the lady that we can afford it. Cold starts are a bitch here, so probably damn near impossible in a state that actually gets cold.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Fuel Injection or Forced Induction? Would love to see both

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag
Fuel Injection or Forced Induction? Would love to see both
Lol, I was referring to Fuel Injection, but forced induction is the goal. I like the way you think.

Old 01-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

No reason that carb'd engine shouldn't crank right up in almost any weather. Surely a temperate clime like FLA.

I don't know how acquainted you are with carb's, so if I am talking about what you might even know more than I, apologies.

AS couple of things to check out. The round black device with the bimetal spring that sets the choke valve. Heated by exhaust or by electrics. Free and not coked up???

The fast idle and choke set linkage on the carb. Engine cold. step on throttle. Linke engages a cam to hold the throttle open a bit over idle.
and, allows the choke stove to close the choke valve. At the same time, the acceleration pump shoots in a shot of gas.

If all this is working, it should fire almost immediately, idle fast a bit and then settle down for driving.

Tinkering needed.

I am ignoring moisture in the ignition for the time being...

That is a nice car and mechanical gauges are slick.

Room for FI and turbo charging1111

Carl

The following users liked this post:
villain (01-29-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad
Tinkering needed.
I'm not as familiar with carbs as I'd like to be, so some research and tinkering is definitely in the works. I'll definitely take your suggestions in mind when I finally attack the problem, for now it isn't much of a hassle, and it seems like it may just be the fuel pump to be honest, since I've noticed that it pulls a fairly strong vacuum in the tank when it has been running for a while. So my first step will be to check that out, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll move on to the carb.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

A couple of more ideas:

Uses the GM mechanical pump on the engine? The Jaguar electric pump provides much higher PSI. needed for FI, much too much for a carb.

Fuel filter, recent or ancient".

The "whoosh" is well known in Jaguar world. Some just ignore it,
although,. there is a small risk of tank implosion via excess vacuum!

It's vent system is rather complex. A charcoal canister should be upfront behind the left headlamp in the wing before the wheel. a small one way valve is there. some disable it by piercing it allowing the engine to purge the canister and the vacuum in the fuel tank.

One of those "clean air" things.

But, if a slow fire up isn't an issue, drive and enjoy...

Carl.

Carl.