XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

towing hooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:59 PM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default towing hooks

Is there an approved place on the XJS to attach hooks or straps for towing? I don't see may place I trust even just pulling it onto a retriever. When I brought mine home I bent metal getting it on a trailer. Any experienced towing operators out there?

Old 10-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

All the Jags I've owned have front tow hooks attached to the big bolts at the front of the subframe. #15 in this illustration

http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...ember-assembly

Cars with the inboard brake IRS have a strap on the lower control arm that works well as a recovery hook. Item #27 in this illustration

Wishbones and Mounting-Rear - Parts For XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Cheers
DD

Old 10-22-2016, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Those front hooks or loops are to tie it down... Not to two it, as they sit higher than the front chin spoiler. Resulting in the rope damaging the spoiler.

I have always tried to find a place to attach a rope and will probably have one welded behind the lower radiator grill. I mean, that grill can be removed within minutes. Modern cars need you to search for the hook in the boot, then pry a cap off, etc.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

caterwaller,

You haven't mentioned which model, but the late facelift big-bumper cars have a towing eye on the right front side. This is an eye welded to the front box section of the bodyshell.

I'm not sure how it might exit with the bumper configuration of a pre-facelift but it might be possible to cut one off a facelift and weld in the same place on a pre-facelift.

Paul

Old 10-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Those front hooks or loops are to tie it down... Not to two it, as they sit higher than the front chin spoiler. Resulting in the rope damaging the spoiler.

Ahhh....good catch.

I was thinking of my spoiler-less Series III

Cheers
DD

Old 10-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by catterwaller
I don't see may place I trust even just pulling it onto a retriever.

If it's just a matter of an "easy pull" like winching a free-rolling car onto a flatbed tow truck or trailer you can just use a lower control arm....if your cable or rope doesn't foul the spoilers or sheet metal

Or use the hooks previously mentioned but with a block of wood to prevent the cable from fouling the body

For a harder pull you can run your cable around the front subframe...perhaps directly below the engine

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
JLBolen (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:18 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Like Doug said, If it is a easy pull, car has tires and wheels on it with air in them, not in a ditch or other accidental areas. (I used to manage a wrecker company outside of Washington D.C. so I am familiar with towing cars.) The company I use, has a Tilt and roll back flatbed truck. They just hauled a 83 XJS home for me. They used straps around the lower control arms at frame end, blocked that down with a 4x4 to keep straps from touching the spoiler with a ****** block at the rear end of the bed to keep cable down low. After car was angled up on the bed, they removed ****** block and pulled car up until rear wheels were on bed, lowered bed and finished pulling car forward. Then the used special wheel straps to secure the car to bed on all four corners. Unloading was easy, they lowered bed and let car roll back with winch until rear wheels were on ground, unhooked cable and finished letting car roll off. No damage to any part of car, under carriage or body. Using a trailer should work about the same. Most wrecker services will have proper equipment to move a car safely without damage. Just let them know what type of car is to be moved. Damage would be most likely from using J hook chains and a Sling type wrecker. Trailer, Tilt and roll back or Cradle Snatcher type wrecker would be best.

The following users liked this post:
catterwaller (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks all very much for the response. Bringing the 92 convertible home for the first time I bent the tie down straps on the rear. I'm just looking ahead. I suppose I should be more confident but so far 45 minutes from home has been the limit.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

you'll be ok.. its a Jag it has to have provisions for towing....

Old 10-26-2016, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Hitch
you'll be ok.. its a Jag it has to have provisions for towing....
It doesn't though! No factory hooks as we all know them...

Last edited by Daim; 10-26-2016 at 11:06 AM.