Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Service Intervals..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 11:32 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Service Intervals..

Hi,

My XKR was new in March 2010, coming into my possession in May 2010.
Like all my previous Jags, I've had it in for servicing every 6 months.

But, seeing as it has been faultless, and the interval plan is annual/24km, am I wasting money?

Spoke with Jaguar Australia, who were not helpful. They said 6 monthly service intervals and directed me to their website - which says nothing of the sort.

The last service type A was May 2015, Type B was November 2015 at 70k km.
Now at 78k.

Thoughts please!

Cheers,

Rob

Old 04-18-2016, 12:37 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

You've got the owners manual, in it should have a clear and concise schedule. You will gain nothing whatsoever in serving your any sooner than those recommended contrary to what Jiffy lube or dealerships may try to sell you on. There is both mileage as well as time intervals detailed there. Aside from checking oil level and air pressures there's nothing needed every 6 mo's unless you're exceeding the 15K mileage interval. You also may want to take a look at a very comprehensive study years ago called "The Waddington affect", dispels many of the rumors and unfounded claims on maintenance.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...schedule-1-jpg

Last edited by Leeper; 04-18-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

My view would be to service at the yearly mark if you don't exceed the 15k in the period. I really cant see a benefit from giving Dealers a big fee every time you roll up

Old 04-18-2016, 02:48 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by RobB
My XKR was new in March 2010, coming into my possession in May 2010. Like all my previous Jags, I've had it in for servicing every 6 months. ...... Jaguar Australia, who were not helpful. They said 6 monthly service intervals ......
Rob,

The recommended service interval for all Jaguar models is on a Distance OR Time basis. As you know, for the 2010 XK this is 24,000 Km OR 12 Months - whichever comes soonest.

The only exception Jaguar document to this frequency is for 'Arduous use only' but nowhere do they give a written description of what this is. The only logical conclusion is it must be for vehicles operated in extremes of either hot or cold temperatures or in exceptionally dusty conditions.

Six month servicing looks like overkill by any standards. It must be costing you a fortune.

Graham

Old 04-18-2016, 03:55 AM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Rob,

The recommended service interval for all Jaguar models is on a Distance OR Time basis. As you know, for the 2010 XK this is 24,000 Km OR 12 Months - whichever comes soonest.

The only exception Jaguar document to this frequency is for 'Arduous use only' but nowhere do they give a written description of what this is. The only logical conclusion is it must be for vehicles operated in extremes of either hot or cold temperatures or in exceptionally dusty conditions.

Six month servicing looks like overkill by any standards. It must be costing you a fortune.

Graham
To be fair, my previous Jaguars have all been XJS derivatives and I've no previous experience of going 6 months between breakdowns, never mind services..
Jaguar Australia (and USA) recommend 6 monthly maintenance checks.
But as the consensus is clear, I'll enjoy the novelty of a magnificent and reliable Jaguar.

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers,

Rob

Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Go one year, get a small oil sample and send it to test & have the filter cut to inspect.

Keep an eye on break wear, check fluid levels. Its mostly just checking/inspecting for issues rather than actual work needing to be done.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by RobB
Hi,

My XKR was new in March 2010, coming into my possession in May 2010.
Like all my previous Jags, I've had it in for servicing every 6 months.

But, seeing as it has been faultless, and the interval plan is annual/24km, am I wasting money?

Spoke with Jaguar Australia, who were not helpful. They said 6 monthly service intervals and directed me to their website - which says nothing of the sort.

The last service type A was May 2015, Type B was November 2015 at 70k km.
Now at 78k.

Thoughts please!

Cheers,

Rob

Rob,
There is a very good reason for you to service your Jaguar at 6month intervals. And no its not a waste of money at all. Allow me to explain.

From what I understand a XKR is nearly double in Australia as it is in the US. So protecting your investment is cheap because the investment is worth twice as much. Here is what you gain from 6month oil changes:

You will have less carbon buildup in the intake track. You will go much longer between timing chain and guides replacement.

The health of an Aj133 engine is more dependent on the oil than nearly all other engines- that's why they formulated one specially for it and there is no substitute. Because it was rather dependent on this expensive oil, they pushed the limit of the oil change interval. Synthetic oil loses all its properties after 12 months after exposed to air. And I am not convinced that the decline does not start after 9 months.

If you can, continue changing at 6 months, you have little to lose in relativity to the price you paid for your Jaguar. Did I mention that I could never move to Australia for this reason of paying double for everything. Christ you are driving a Ferrari by US standards- act accordingly.

I change my oil every 6 months, it cost less than a bar tab, which could also be looked at as pissing it away.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:10 PM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Rob,

Graham
You will find the complete listing of "severe service" next to the signature portion of Jaguar Maintenance Check Sheet JLR-11-74-10-3E The Passport documentation states service intervals be cut in half. (12,000km or 6 month)

2006 MY Vehicle Maintenance Checklist (miles) [Jaguar XK X150] : JagDocs, The Source for Jaguar Documentation!

Last edited by Box; 04-19-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Banned

Q&C - the problem with your post is that it's simply not backed by any sort of proof. 6 mo or pre 15K oil changes have been consistently proven by such reputable companies as Blackstone as well as every other oil analysis expert (OAItesting.com, etc). You're claim is also one of assumption in believing that the mechanic/shop/dealership is doing the maintenance properly... even an oil change has a level of competency required... are they in fact using a torque wrench? Doubt it but that is a crutial item that should require one. I've heard of MANY people having their oil pan bolt stripped out so there's then the increase of such a mistake happening with the increased, arguably totally unnecessary, change done.

Rotary motors are actually more dependent on requiring a certain oil, X150' are most definitely not, their fine with Castrol Syn, Mobil one, any of the certified oils covered in the owners manual are completely fine. You say oil loses "all its properties" and that you are convinced, that seems to go directly against every single oil sample test I've ever seen, please provide some sort of empirical study or proof of that.

If it suits you changing it every 6 mo's or every day for that matter, knock yourself out but please provide us with any substantiation of your claim that it helps to change more frequently OR that our X150's are better served with a "certain oil". The claims of increasing frequency have been around for years but have never proven to hold any water other that presumed/assumed feeling of comfort.

A concise study that seems to refute exactly what you're stating in that actually increasing the frequency was done in WWII, the findings were quite surprising in knocking out a lot of assumptions held - The Waddington Effect

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
Q&C - the problem with your post is that it's simply not backed by any sort of proof. 6 mo or pre 15K oil changes have been consistently proven by such reputable companies as Blackstone as well as every other oil analysis expert (OAItesting.com, etc). You're claim is also one of assumption in believing that the mechanic/shop/dealership is doing the maintenance properly... even an oil change has a level of competency required... are they in fact using a torque wrench? Doubt it but that is a crutial item that should require one. I've heard of MANY people having their oil pan bolt stripped out so there's then the increase of such a mistake happening with the increased, arguably totally unnecessary, change done.

Rotary motors are actually more dependent on requiring a certain oil, X150' are most definitely not, their fine with Castrol Syn, Mobil one, any of the certified oils covered in the owners manual are completely fine. You say oil loses "all its properties" and that you are convinced, that seems to go directly against every single oil sample test I've ever seen, please provide some sort of empirical study or proof of that.

If it suits you changing it every 6 mo's or every day for that matter, knock yourself out but please provide us with any substantiation of your claim that it helps to change more frequently OR that our X150's are better served with a "certain oil". The claims of increasing frequency have been around for years but have never proven to hold any water other that presumed/assumed feeling of comfort.

A concise study that seems to refute exactly what you're stating in that actually increasing the frequency was done in WWII, the findings were quite surprising in knocking out a lot of assumptions held - The Waddington Effect
I think you'll find the findings of lubricants from WWII and the methodology of the Waddington Effect directly refuted by Jaguar and those who produce the lubricants designed and engineered for vehicle use. Fleet records prove this. The condition of the drain plug, or the possibility of inept technicians, is irrelevant to the maintenance schedule and it's frequency.

Last edited by Box; 04-19-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

No brother, I am not coming from the old school of thought when it comes to oil- instead just the opposite. I too believe that you can easily get 12months out of oil on regular engines.

Direct Injected engines have had a nightmare with carbon buildup, and they are radically different than the engines where oil can be left in forever. None of the tests that have been done on keeping oil in for longer intervals have been done on engines with torque actuated cams and direct injection.

BMW for instance have had to take the heads of at 60,000 miles. Here is a video demonstrating the difference between BMW oil and Jaguar oil.

6 month oil change has no downside on a $150k car. Its cheap insurance.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

In case some spry brother points out that its a different viscosity in the previous video, here is one of a different visc.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Banned

Waddington effect was not about oil servicing but rather that increasing the frequency of maintenance actually decreases reliability contrary to most peoples belief. Not sure if you even read what that study was about but that is it in a thumbnail. They found more breakdowns occurred with increased maintenance... the same holds true today.

With regard to oil changing somehow increasing reliability, or the claims that oil is somehow is breaking down prior to either the recommended mileage intervals or that it is compromised within a years time is completely refuted by every test done - look at Blackstone, Bobstheoilguy, Mobil One, Castrol, Jaguar itself, virtually every single scientific test. Certainly there will always be those who feel if 15K is right then 10K, 5K, or even 3K MUST be better somehow. I've not seen a single oil analysis that has come back on any auto, plane or bike forum that has shown changing oil prior to the recommended times has any positive effects as it simply is not needed as there is not breakdown in lubricity properties, in contamination, or in the oil breaking down. Over the last several years the machining processes and advances in metals are such that tolerances are far better than they were add to that the advances in oils, especially synthetics, and the whole concept of changing oils out at 3K intervals, or ahead of mfg recommended intervals, are completely unnecessary unless the vehicle has some sort usage outside the norm (racing, trailer pulling, usage where you're only going a couple miles in a shot versus getting the car up to operating temperatures regularly, etc)

Old 04-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Waddington effect was not about oil servicing but rather that increasing the frequency of maintenance actually decreases reliability contrary to most peoples belief. Not sure if you even read what that study was about but that is it in a thumbnail. They found more breakdowns occurred with increased maintenance... the same holds true today.

With regard to oil changing somehow increasing reliability, or the claims that oil is somehow is breaking down prior to either the recommended mileage intervals or that it is compromised within a years time is completely refuted by every test done - look at Blackstone, Bobstheoilguy, Mobil One, Castrol, Jaguar itself, virtually every single scientific test. Certainly there will always be those who feel if 15K is right then 10K, 5K, or even 3K MUST be better somehow. I've not seen a single oil analysis that has come back on any auto, plane or bike forum that has shown changing oil prior to the recommended times has any positive effects as it simply is not needed as there is not breakdown in lubricity properties, in contamination, or in the oil breaking down. Over the last several years the machining processes and advances in metals are such that tolerances are far better than they were add to that the advances in oils, especially synthetics, and the whole concept of changing oils out at 3K intervals, or ahead of mfg recommended intervals, are completely unnecessary unless the vehicle has some sort usage outside the norm (racing, trailer pulling, usage where you're only going a couple miles in a shot versus getting the car up to operating temperatures regularly, etc)
I know AMSOIL (OAItesting.com) has been testing used lubricants for a few years now, but there is more to consider than what the results that they provide yield. It's what is left inside your engine by their use. Not all oils are created equal, and yes I'm familiar with the Waddington Effect.

I'll leave you some NOACK results... (I know the ? below is because of the site font) I'll let you choose what oil you will want to use in your Jaguar to you, but the results of what they leave behind can be astonishing. That is what all the tests from OAItesting.com cannot take into account. And why frequency is very important.

????? VIII. ????????. ?????????? ???????????? ???????? ?????. - ??????????????? ????

Last edited by Box; 04-19-2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Banned

do you perhaps have either a Russian translator or an English version of that website?

Let's also have those who have had their oil samples tested chime in... there's not be a single person here that has posted and degradation, contaminants above acceptable levels, or lose of lubricity that I'm aware of (and that goes for the various motorcycle sites, plane, Porsche boards, etc) with the rare exception of a blown head gasket. Whether that sample testing facility is Blackstone, Amsoil, or otherwise please share your experience with us. Whether oils can stand a certain excessive heat in a test tube or not would be irrelevant if those tested samples in a real-world all came back stating that they were well within spec after being tested near recommended (15K) intervals. Every single posting I've seen has consistently shown that even after exceeding recommended intervals that the oil was fine for both "break-down" as well as the contamination was nowhere near any levels to be considered dangerous.

Last edited by Leeper; 04-19-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Box
Veteran Member

do you perhaps have either a Russian translator or an English version of that website?
Use Bing translator if you use IE. Select text and translate with Bing, otherwise, you might try Google.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Whats the downside to changing oil every 6 months: about $100 bucks
Whats the upside: you clean engine twice a year vs once a year. More performance alone is worth it.

Yes, forget about oil's ability to lubricate- thats the archaic thinking, nowadays its all about the cleaning ability.

Moreover why be frugal with a supercar engine. Dont think its a supercar engine, wait till you order one, they charge accordingly.

The pictures at the Russian site are better than a thousand words.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Was there a reason they chose to heat the oil to 400 deg?
It's never likely to see that in operation is it?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:31 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Let's also have those who have had their oil samples tested chime in... there's not be a single person here that has posted and degradation, contaminants above acceptable levels, or lose of lubricity that I'm aware of (and that goes for the various motorcycle sites, plane, Porsche boards, etc) with the rare exception of a blown head gasket. Whether that sample testing facility is Blackstone, Amsoil, or otherwise please share your experience with us. Whether oils can stand a certain excessive heat in a test tube or not would be irrelevant if those tested samples in a real-world all came back stating that they were well within spec after being tested near recommended (15K) intervals. Every single posting I've seen has consistently shown that even after exceeding recommended intervals that the oil was fine for both "break-down" as well as the contamination was nowhere near any levels to be considered dangerous.
NOACK tests is one of the industry standards. 400F is relatively low temps. Pistons alone at the center under the crown can easily run 300C-375C which is 700F. Cylinder head temps and cam bearing areas 500F, and cylinder walls in-between. Oils are as much a coolant as they are a lubricant. An oil that may provide an excellent quality in one area, can easily perform horrible in another. Again, you're simply ignoring the obvious. OAItesting.com cannot take into account what is left behind by their usage. That is a time relative matter, hence the frequency of maintenance. It's why severe service schedules are there. (which BTW, around 80% of all drivers meet that criteria)

Last edited by Box; 04-19-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Was there a reason they chose to heat the oil to 400 deg?
It's never likely to see that in operation is it?
I know you may have read my post after this, but I wanted to let you know NOACK starts at 250C (480F) for one hour. 400F is relatively low temp.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (04-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Service Intervals..