XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 xk8 restricted performance p0300 p1316

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 99 xk8 restricted performance p0300 p1316

Hi everyone, just got the car back from Jaguar after taking it there to resolve a no crank no start issue which was discussed at the following post.....
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1/#post1164306

Now it was returned to me with a new issue, it now gives the RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE with codes P0300 P1316 , it began as showing the message then going away on its own a couple of times in a day after which each time the car just went back to running normally with no warning light/messages of any kind, now RESTRICTED PERFORMANCE is on the screen with the check engine flashing, any ideas please?

Thanks alot

Old 02-26-2015, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Flashing MIL is likely misfires so bad they're damaging the cat(s). Find the misfire(s) urgently.

Fuel trims or smoke test will show if it's an air leak rather than (say) bad coil(s)

The following users liked this post:
Hi-Velo-Sid-E (03-12-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Flashing MIL is likely misfires so bad they're damaging the cat(s). Find the misfire(s) urgently.

Fuel trims or smoke test will show if it's an air leak rather than (say) bad coil(s)
Hi Jagv8,

I was thinking p0300 means misfires and p1316 means injector related.

So was considering trying a can or bottle of BG-44k fuel system cleaner.

When i was having the startup issue i went to a small jag repair shop that suggested i need a new key, so i went and bought one, he then programmed it into the system then tried to start the car which cranked but didn't start, at that time he noticed the fuel pump wasn't working, long story short, he then connected a contraption to my passenger side fuel rail while stating he had fuel in the bottle of the contraption and wanted to use it to feed fuel directly so he can drive the car out of the bay rather than push it out, but when he connected it and tried to use it, it didn't work... I suspect he might have injected junk instead of fuel because after everything was said and done I towed the car home, replaced the fuel pump myself and the car started right up, so thats why I'm pretty sure he may have been conviced he had fuel in his contraption but probably not and instead junk may have gotten pumped in when he cranked the engine.

I never before, since purchasing the car, ever had a Restricted Performance issue/message .

Am I on the right track?

Thank you

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 02-26-2015 at 02:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

I would take it back to the place that worked on it before these issues. Anymore if I take my jag to a shop I show them that there are NO check lights, the is running fine, so if I get it back and it is fubarred I can say, ahhhhh, look guys.....

Old 02-26-2015, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by brgjag
I would take it back to the place that worked on it before these issues. Anymore if I take my jag to a shop I show them that there are NO check lights, the is running fine, so if I get it back and it is fubarred I can say, ahhhhh, look guys.....
Hello brgjag, prior to me driving the car to them for a reoccuring no cranking issue, I had never gotten the Restricted Performance message, never, then they installed a used BPM and charged me around $965 . They gave me the car I drove it 2 days, but the second day is when it started the intermittent no cranking again and I also got the Restricted Performance mesage twice that day, so i brought it back to them for the second time while indicating that the no cranking issue had returned and that i now had the Restricted Performance issue as well, so they said they will fix the no cranking and check the Restricted Performance issue as well.

A week later they called me to tell me the car cranking issue seems resolved, that the problem was a losse connector pin on the plug that connects to the exciter ring connection, but that the Restricted Performance issue i may not want to deal with at this time because it may cost me a pretty penny to resolve, hence they were leaving me with that issue and denying responsibility even though i never had that issue before they mis-diagnosed the BPM as being required and that the Restricted Performance issue was subsequent to them working on the car and never before.

So what should i do?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 02-26-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member

Isn't P1316 misfire-related....

Old 02-27-2015, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

To Summarize what I think I read:
Car was used for some period of time
Then a 'no start' condition was seen and eventually the BCM (was replaced
Ran for about 2 days the RP started and Nostart again
Serviced for No-start by dealer, corrected plug in exciter ring, nothing done to diag RP
Now his codes show which P1316

I found this thread snippet:
Jaguar manufacturer specific codes:

P1313 Misfire rate catalyst damage fault - bank 1
P1316 Misfire rate exceeds emissions

My (former bad) mechanic replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plugs & seals & said Ignition coils were good. No help at all from the expensive repairs! Same/worse problem & same exact codes. Took to Jaguar dealer. Replaced Ignition Coil #4 and mass air flow sensor. Problem solved.

So I would start with checking all coils, plugs and the spring on the plug boot, clean it all up, use contact cleaner on the elc connections and see where you are.

Last edited by jamdmyers; 02-27-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: italic
Hi-Velo-Sid-E (03-13-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

P0300 =
Cylinder compression low
Worn camshaft / broken valve spring(s)
Fuel delivery pressure (low / high)
Fuel injector(s) blocked / leaking
Fuel injector(s) continuously open
Fuel contamination
Fuel injector circuit fault(s) (Injector DTCs
also flagged)
Spark plug failure / fouled / incorrect gap
ECM to ignition module primary circuit
fault (Cylinder misfire detected DTC
also flagged)
Ignition module ground circuit open
circuit, high resistance
Ignition module / coil failure

P1316 = Refer to P1313 Possible Causes
P1313 =
Cylinder compression low
Fuel contamination
also flagged)
fault(s) (Cylinder misfire detected DTC
also flagged)
circuit, high resistance

For the simple reason that you do not have a code directing you to any one cylinder I would be looking at the fuel to the engine. If you had replaced the fuel filter and the pressure is good on the rail I would look at fuel presentation to the cylinders and that’s the injectors. I see you mentioned the BG44K have you used it?

Last edited by Gus; 02-27-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
P0300 =
Cylinder compression low
Fuel contamination
also flagged)
fault (Cylinder misfire detected DTC
also flagged)
circuit, high resistance

P1316 = Refer to P1313 Possible Causes
P1313 =
Cylinder compression low
Fuel contamination
also flagged)
fault(s) (Cylinder misfire detected DTC
also flagged)
circuit, high resistance

For the simple reason that you do not have a code directing you to any one cylinder I would be looking at the fuel to the engine. If you had replaced the fuel filter and the pressure is good on the rail I would look at fuel presentation to the cylinders and that’s the injectors. I see you mentioned the BG44K have you used it?
Hello Gus, as you recall in the other thread, i mentioned having replaced the fuel pump and screen, but i didn't replace the fuel filter because when i started the car it ran fine until it began not cranking again intermittently, so that is when i initially brought it to Jaguar. Then when they gave it back to me with the BPM changed, only then did it start giving the RP issue.

I agree with your assessment because when I picked up the car from Jaguar a couple of days ago, they told me no code indicating any particullar cylinder was present and that they got a rapid miss code.

Even though they said no cylinder indication code was present they started giving me advice about how i can check the coils, tubes, and plugs myself and said to also look for burn marks, so I mentioned that maybe it can be an injector and/or fuel issue, they said its possible.

Then i suggested that the rapid misses may even be due to a loose or badly connected injector electrical connector plug, the guy replied that if I find one to just secure it with silicon.

BTW, seems you were correct in directing me to first check the exciter ring, go figure that we got so close, if i had only thought of checking to confirm each wire was actually sending current to the ones of the other plug that connects to the exciter ring plug, go figure.

I have not found the BG-44k locally, only online, but at the BG site they said there are garages that can do the full BG Fuel/Air Induction Service, so I emailed two local garages listed at the BG site, but only one responded, a general repairs and tire place stating they are now using something other than BG, the other location is a Nissan dealership that has yet to respond, there are others that are further from me as well, I will try them all by phone.

I also ran across some ads online by Jaguar dealerships offering this BG Fuel/Air Induction service, so I guess it would be safe to use this BG service and/or product.

I read that if one considers doing a Fuel/Air Induction Service, it may be a good idea to afterwards change the engine oil and one thing that worries me is that some say injector cleaning service may damage the O2 sensor or catalytic, or something to that effect.
Do you have an opinion about that?

Thanks alot gus, i appreciate you getting in on this new issue, much appreciated friend,

Sid

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
To Summarize what I think I read:
Car was used for some period of time
Then a 'no start' condition was seen and eventually the BCM (was replaced
Ran for about 2 days the RP started and Nostart again
Serviced for No-start by dealer, corrected plug in exciter ring, nothing done to diag RP
Now his codes show which P1316

I found this thread snippet:
Jaguar manufacturer specific codes:

P1313 Misfire rate catalyst damage fault - bank 1
P1316 Misfire rate exceeds emissions

My (former bad) mechanic replaced valve cover gaskets, spark plugs & seals & said Ignition coils were good. No help at all from the expensive repairs! Same/worse problem & same exact codes. Took to Jaguar dealer. Replaced Ignition Coil #4 and mass air flow sensor. Problem solved.

So I would start with checking all coils, plugs and the spring on the plug boot, clean it all up, use contact cleaner on the elc connections and see where you are.
Hello jamdmeyers, yes, and the codes are P1316 and P0300 .

I think I will first start with the easier one, the fuel and injector cleaning, probably even the filter as Gus suggested, if i can locate it.

The Jag Dealership guy told me the Jag plugs are good for 100,000 miles, what brand are those and are they pricey?

I saw some Bosch plugs for 2.25 at euro parts, don't think those would be the 100k miles ones.

Thanks alot, much appreciated,
Sid

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
Isn't P1316 misfire-related....
Hello JagV8, okay I think I did it correctly, should show up below.

Sid

Old 02-28-2015, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Have you gotten the torque app and elm bluetooth, this will be very handy on debugging your car, app is free and adapters are cheap (though beware too cheap since they tend to not work well) Viewing Fuel trims here might be helpful

Yup missed the P0300 in my post I read these posts with my morning coffee sometimes very early in the day when the mind and keyboard are not fully sync'd.

Last edited by jamdmyers; 02-28-2015 at 04:51 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Sid, BG44K is available through ebay and Amazon at a significant saving. The factory plugs are NGK Iridium, available online or at your local parts store. Here is a link to the rockauto.com listing:

More Information for NGK 5464

Hi-Velo-Sid-E (03-13-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
Hello JagV8, okay I think I did it correctly, should show up below.

Sid
You did - thanks!

Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Most dealerships have and use BG44K along with Jaguar. If they offer BG products they have it. As for damage to the O2's if it did they would not be doing it. The key is to use/do it moderately.

Originally Posted by Hi-Velo-Sid-E
Hello Gus, as you recall in the other thread, i mentioned having replaced the fuel pump and screen, but i didn't replace the fuel filter because when i started the car it ran fine until it began not cranking again intermittently, so that is when i initially brought it to Jaguar. Then when they gave it back to me with the BPM changed, only then did it start giving the RP issue.

I agree with your assessment because when I picked up the car from Jaguar a couple of days ago, they told me no code indicating any particullar cylinder was present and that they got a rapid miss code.

Even though they said no cylinder indication code was present they started giving me advice about how i can check the coils, tubes, and plugs myself and said to also look for burn marks, so I mentioned that maybe it can be an injector and/or fuel issue, they said its possible.

Then i suggested that the rapid misses may even be due to a loose or badly connected injector electrical connector plug, the guy replied that if I find one to just secure it with silicon.

BTW, seems you were correct in directing me to first check the exciter ring, go figure that we got so close, if i had only thought of checking to confirm each wire was actually sending current to the ones of the other plug that connects to the exciter ring plug, go figure.

I have not found the BG-44k locally, only online, but at the BG site they said there are garages that can do the full BG Fuel/Air Induction Service, so I emailed two local garages listed at the BG site, but only one responded, a general repairs and tire place stating they are now using something other than BG, the other location is a Nissan dealership that has yet to respond, there are others that are further from me as well, I will try them all by phone.

I also ran across some ads online by Jaguar dealerships offering this BG Fuel/Air Induction service, so I guess it would be safe to use this BG service and/or product.

I read that if one considers doing a Fuel/Air Induction Service, it may be a good idea to afterwards change the engine oil and one thing that worries me is that some say injector cleaning service may damage the O2 sensor or catalytic, or something to that effect.
Do you have an opinion about that?

Thanks alot gus, i appreciate you getting in on this new issue, much appreciated friend,

Sid

Old 02-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by jamdmyers
Have you gotten the torque app and elm bluetooth, this will be very handy on debugging your car, app is free and adapters are cheap (though beware too cheap since they tend to not work well) Viewing Fuel trims here might be helpful

Yup missed the P0300 in my post I read these posts with my morning coffee sometimes very early in the day when the mind and keyboard are not fully sync'd.
Hi jamdmyers, I was going to get the app and the elm but I got so wrapped up with the Jag and life stuff that i stopped researching which elm bluetooth unit to get, also the Jag was at the dealership so didn't have any immediate need for it anymore.

There are a few elm models and am not sure which one to buy, I had been looking on Ebay about 2 weeks ago.

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 02-28-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Sid, BG44K is available through ebay and Amazon at a significant saving. The factory plugs are NGK Iridium, available online or at your local parts store. Here is a link to the rockauto.com listing:

More Information for NGK 5464

Hi RJ237, yes I saw the BG-44k at those sites and was also looking for a local store but then noticed that at the BG site they talk about local garages that do the full BG service where they connect their tool directly to the fuel rail where you usually connect the fuel pressure tester and then they run the BG stuff through there, directly to the injectors and have the engine running at the same time, running only on the BG stuff while cutting off the fuel pump etc, and I think they also clean the air way,maf sensor, and throttle body, then lastly add a can of BG-44k in the fuel tank.

Thanks for the plug info and link, at rockauto they show quite a few NGK plugs for the 99XK8, so those NGK5464 are the 100,000 mile ones?
Not a bad price at $6.44 each.

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 02-28-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Most dealerships have and use BG44K along with Jaguar. If they offer BG products they have it. As for damage to the O2's if it did they would not be doing it. The key is to use/do it moderately.

Hi gus, i was thinking of using the full BG service option at the garage maybe once evey two years.

Also I think i have discovered a key constant to the Restricted Performance issue, that may lead to the real cause and solution.

I have not been driving the car since i got it back, but I have been starting it up 1 to 2 times per day to make sure they fixed the starting/cranking issue for good.

What i have noticed when starting up when COLD is that when it starts up, it begins running at low rpm then its like a choke kicks in to raise the idle rpm and every time that choke kicks in and the rpm goes up the Restricted Performance message on the screen goes away, the engine runs smoothly, then when rpm gradually creeps bag down it eventualy produces the Restricted Performance message on the screen and the engine idles a little rough again.
I started noticing this happenning yesterday and today.

What do you think of this coinky dinky?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Last edited by Hi-Velo-Sid-E; 02-28-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Sid do yourself a favor and get an OBDII reader to read the codes. It would be good to get one that can read other aspects of your car like your LTFT, MAFS and a few other things. The amount of time and money you have put into this car on guess work you could have gotten several readers.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Sid do yourself a favor and get an OBDII reader to read the codes. It would be good to get one that can read other aspects of your car like your LTFT, MAFS and a few other things. The amount of time and money you have put into this car on guess work you could have gotten several readers.

Hi Gus, yes this is what I intend on doing asap.

Do you have any ideas about the Cold start events I described above?

Thanks alot,
Sid

Quick Reply: 99 xk8 restricted performance p0300 p1316