Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by SNG Barratt
Click Here

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Any easy repair for tear in rubber seal?

03 Convertible XKR. Noticed when the top was down today that there is a small tear in the rubber seal. It doesn't appear to be dried out. (I just got it a couple weeks ago and plan to clean and treat the covertible top this weekend).

Anyone know of a product that I can use to repair the tear? It's about 2" long...

[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Default RE: Any easy repair for tear in rubber seal?

Superglue will permanently reattach the torn piece. Use only a tiny, tinyamount. Apply with a toothpick. Try not to leave any glue showing. Good luck!
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM

What cha gonna treat the top with? Just wondering.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 AM

http://www.properautocare.com/besprodforcl.html

Raggtopp CleanerandProtectant with303 Aerospace Lubricant on the the rubber seals... any input?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

After my research on detailing forums I came to the same decisions. Seems to be the consensus of professional detailers.

I was very impressed with the results on my car. Top looks like new. I taped off and covered the car when spraying the protectant. The instructions say overspray can be wiped off. Not that easy. It is paraffin wax and will require a solvent to remove. Wiping only smears it around and thins it out. It's still there.

I have not seen how it handles rain. Don't go out in the rain if I can avoid it.

tp
1981 Volvo Bertone Coupe - 25k original miles http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
Old 03-28-2008, 12:53 PM

depending on the which seal.. there not that expensive to replace..
Old 03-30-2008, 02:21 PM

It's this one - what do you you think?

Also, another quick question. My wood steering wheel has an area when the coating scraped off leaving bare, unprotected wood. It's noticably lighter and irks me every time I drive the car. Any fixes for that?

Thanks again!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3459/FBA3DEA9049C4A808EF7E1843A8D9162.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Veteran member

If you ask most people, they will suggest a 'refinish'. One of the techs mentioned Jag sends their wood to California; however, my car audio shop chipped one of my pieces and had it refinished right here in the Dallas-Ftworth area, so maybe call around to car interior shops, see what they recommend, perhaps you can find a local shop, and won't be without your car for too long if you so choose to get it fixed.

Go Texas Tech!

Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Photobucket

Send a message via AIM to FactoryJaguarTech

That is a common seal to tear. I think most of them do. When car sits without top being used, it drys against the glass just enough to tug it when you move the top. It is a cheap seal and easy to replace.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the input on the rubber seal and steering wheel. It's going in for some minor stuff they owe me (key, fob, wheel badge, etc) so I'll ask about it.

Also, FYI on the Raggtopp Protectant. I DID get overspray on the glass and saw what test pointhad mentioned earlier about it smearing around and not coming off the glass. I did some researchand figured out it's a teflon spray. Delved a little more and foundthe best thing to get it off the glass would have been mineral spirits or acetone. I had neither and was exhausted after spending six hours detailing my baby.

My fix? Acetone based nailpolish remover and some cotton makeup pads, LOL! Worked great and took it right off. A quick cleaning afterwards with Invisible Glass and she was good as new.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:11 PM

Any links to get the rubber seals? I have a tear that runs almost the length of the window, probably rolled up too long and tore it. Where's the best/cheapest place to get rubber replacements?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,845 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8mobiles View Post
Any links to get the rubber seals? I have a tear that runs almost the length of the window, probably rolled up too long and tore it. Where's the best/cheapest place to get rubber replacements?

Go to the top of this page and click on 'vendors'. JPAM Parts (aka Gaudin Jaguar Parts) and Nalley both have significant discount under dealer list price. Unfortunately replacement rubber is still going to be very expensive though.

15% off & free shipping for the Holidays!

2001 XKR White Onyx, Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, +3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio, Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/Remote Top, One Touch, Rear Window control
Old 02-18-2012, 07:18 AM

The steering wheel is just coated with urethane, like most any modern wood product. I had a couple dings in mine, I just gave the spots a light sanding to level off the spots and give them a little 'tooth' for the urethane to grip onto. A couple dots of Varathane Exterior (two coats) and it was as good as new.
Certified Master Auto Tech, Master Truck Tech, Emergency Vehicle Tech (CMAT/L1, CMTT, CEVT) Factory Trained Ford, GM, Isuzu & SAAB Tech. Currently responsible for large metropolitan fleets of Fire Trucks, Fire Engines, Fire Boats, Ambulances, and various rescue equipment. Forty-four years of dirty hands and lots of head scratching.

Kentucky Colonel

'98 XK8 'vert
Old 02-20-2012, 07:47 PM

On the seals, I just replaced them on my 2000 XK8, they are not inexpensive (around $260 Side (two pieces each side - part numbers are HJG7778AA, right front - HJB7780AA right center - HJG7779AA, left front - HJB7781AA, left center) but are not available anywhere else I could find, and I check with custome weatherstripping manufacturers. I ended up getting them from Nalley Jaguar, they provided the best discount(mention Jaguar Forum) and ship free for forum members. The install is easy, I did both sides in a few minutes.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM

An online dealer I contacted says it is part number HJG7778AA and $ 242.85?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Tags
convertibles, fix, fixing, handle, jaguar, kit, nail, polish, repair, repairing, rubber, seal, seals, tear, tops