Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit

I have an idea to install a Garmin touch screen Sat Nav system in my 2003 XK8 and integrate it with the OEM entertainment system. Wishing to keep the dash original looking, I'm searching for a non-working head unit that I can harvest the bezel and push buttons from. I want to fit the Garmin behind the bezel and use the original push button to turn it on and off. If anyone has a dead head unit, or even just the bezel and push button assemblies, I'd like to buy it and see if my plan works. If so, I'll post details and photos of the installation. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

you should be able to find one or two members who have went to the 3-gauge conversion, and still have the old screen w/ buttons and even the wood bezel that had to be replaced for the conversion. good luck, I was just talking with a member recently about updating the navigation. We had all sorts of crazy ideas, and he really wanted to use a garmin handheld unit w/ touchscreen...somehow, either taopping into the audio and video out and use the original screen, or replacing the screen itself with a garmin. It will only look great if the screen is JUST a bit larger than the original, as those large, rounded corners make it challenging to not see the frame of the replacement unit.

The following users liked this post:
Adam Lueb (07-05-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

My idea is to attach the Garmin to the back of a bezel from an OEM sat nav head. That should take care of properly locating it relative to the dash opening. I made a cardboard template of the dash opening to take to the store for fitment over the screen of the Garmin prior to purchase. I'd like to use the original switch to power the unit ion and off and I think a simple flip-flop circuit will work with the original momentary push button switch to do that. I also want to tie the Garmin's audio output into the entertainment system so it will mute the radio and play through the car speakers when activated. I think I can install a flush mount USB receptacle in the glovebox area to connect a laptop to and download map updates. I hope to find a Garmin model that allows me download a startup screen so I can put a leaper on it. This pipedream all hinges on being able to get ahold of a non-functioning original display head that I can harvest the parts from. Fingers crossed!

Old 05-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,
Just to tell your plan is the good one, everything is easy.
I did this in my 8 few months ago, replaced the lcd with a garmin (don't remember the #), plugged in the glovebox through usb, and soldered to the on/off original button.
Works like a charm, except for the speaker that is now firing at some foam I attached for the mounting (so almost no sound but I don't care).
It's really great, the antenna can sometimes takes few minutes to grab a signal but really nothing worrying.
You gave me now the idea to update the startup screen, I wasn't aware of that, just replaced the car avatar with a grey convertible

Old 05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Elgrosso,

I'm glad to hear from someone with experience that I may be on the right track. Too bad about the audio being blocked. Have you thought about connecting the Garmin speaker wires to the entertainment system so it plays through the car speakers? Have any photos of your setup?

Bill

Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

See page 3 of the attachment. It shows how to connect to the navigation audio and mute channel built into the head unit. With audio coming from a speaker drive in the Garmin portable unit, you may need to attenuate the level a bit with a couple of resistors.

You will also need to build a circuit to generate the digital mute signal very rapidly when it senses audio.

The advantage of the GVN-53 in this write-up (now out of production) is that is does all of this for you, and you can feed video into the factory monitor with an adapter. No touchscreen however.

Attached Files

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 05-27-2014 at 07:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Canuck pump engineer (05-27-2014), Elgrosso (05-28-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks WhiteXKR. When I first began researching on this website, I read the posts about the GVN-53 and thought it might be the way to go. However, since it is discontinued and there are some pretty good alternatives out there now, I moved along to my current plan. Thank you for the wiring diagram showing how to connect to the sat nav audio to the car harness. Elgrosso, hope this may help you with your audio issue.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure I can take some pics this weekend, but won't probably disassemble it for you
I'm playing with an audio upgrade actually, bypassing the head unit/amp etc, so already made enough mess, and since I really don't care about its sound feedback.
But if I want to sell the car I may fix this, thanks WhiteXKR for the pdf.

Btw I found two pdfs that were really helpful, I am very sorry I can't remember who created those to give them credits.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Canuck pump engineer (05-28-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I'm finally back on the forum with a progress update. I purchased a Garmin 2595LMT and found a non-working sat nav display head on eBay for $20. I've been working on the transplant assembly for the last four weekends. Should be ready to install this weekend. Lots of details and pics for anyone interested. It looks almost original, all the original buttons remain. I moved the on-off button to the left side as it's more convenient for a left-hand drive car and wired it into the Garmin switch. The blue illumination behind the buttons works and is dimmable along with the dash lighting. I loaded the original jag leaper graphic onto the startup screen. I unsoldered the female socket from the donor display and incorporated it into my hybrid so the dash wiring harness connector plugs directly in. So far, I'm happy with the results. I'm now trying to figure out how best to make the Garmin mute the radio and play Lady Catherine's (she who must be obeyed) instructions voice through the car's speakers.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Veteran member

Looking forward to seeing more details!

Old 10-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Default Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit

Ok, here goes. This is still a work in progress and a lot went into it already. I took photos along the way to document things I did. This is the first time I've tried to upload photos here, so let me start by trying to upload a few that show the current state of this project. If I'm successful, I'll add more with explanations of the steps I've gone through.

Here are some views of the front and back of the assembly thus far...

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00871.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00879.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00821.jpg  
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

Pics look great, and WOW, I'm liking your work so far!

Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

I began by setting out some ideal criteria...
1. Look as OEM as possible
2. Have touch screen functionality
3. Ability to update maps
4. Nav voice commands through the car speakers

So, to keep the OEM control buttons, dimmable back lighting, and fitment of the new sat nav to the opening in the dash, I decided to find a non-working OEM display head and use as much of it as possible to house a Garmin nuvi 2595LMT. I searched for a couple of months and finally found a display head on eBay for $20. I disassembled it and found that the Garmin fit pretty well into the front bezel...

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00818.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00819.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00820.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00821.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

I opened the Garmin and soldered wires onto both sides of the Garmin's on-off switch and applied a few dabs of glue, from a hot glue gun, to hold the wires firmly in place on the circuit board.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00810.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00857.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00858.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member

Soldered wires onto the speaker lugs as well. Cut two small windows in the edge of the case with a Dremel tool to exit the on-off wires, speaker wires, and the Garmin's internal mini microphone (unit has a voice activation option).

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00865.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00864.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

The well in the front bezel, where the joystick push button originally was, provided a convenient location to house the mini microphone. I pushed it through the hole in the rubber membrane that the joystick shaft originally went through. I used the black plastic cover from a set of mini earphones to cover the well and allow the sound of your voice to reach the microphone.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00852.jpg   Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00853.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

While I had the assembly apart, I moved the original ON/OFF button from the right hand side of the display bezel to the left hand side to make it a little easier for the driver of a left-hand drive car to reach. A small detail; but I like the little difference it makes.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit-dsc00884.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Nice, keep the details coming....

Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

I have done a very similar mod with a tomtom.
Although I used the circuit boards with the buttons and connected the back lights on the buttons.

I ran a USB cord through to the fuse box on the side of the dash. I power the unit via a wired 12v/USB converter in that fuse box area, that way I can still unplug and connect a laptop to map install updates etc.

Speaker and mic seems to work ok even though it they are enclosed.
My GPS signal strength has suffered quiet a bit being inside the dash. I have considered trying to connect to the original GPS antenna but haven't tried as yet.

How did you go with signal strength?

Old 10-04-2014, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

I'll be following up with more details shortly.

Quick Reply: Looking for a non-functioning Sat Nav head unit