XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Chrome tipped Amber Bulbs from Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Need Chrome tipped Amber Bulbs from Ebay

I have ordered clear front markers (ebay seller 8ru)
& smoked side markers (radio world, UK) for my 2005 XKR

Does anyone have a good source to get the chrome tipped amber bulbs to avoid the sunny side up egg look? Prefer a store vs ebay... but if ebay, a reputable seller...

and I would like them really bright...do they come in different levels of intensity?
for those of you who have done the switch, what do you recommend?

thank you!

Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

You can sometimes find them at Autozone and the like, so worth a look.

I had bought some from ebay a long while ago, didn't worry so much about the seller but I did make sure to find a quality bulb brand. Sylvania, Phillips, etc.

That is more important than who is peddling them.

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Look up chromium bulbs, they are not cheap but they work very well, I have them in my front side marker lights with the clear lens.

prettybluefin (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

just got back from auto zone, no chrome tipped...

i ended up getting:

Sylvania red LED (#168R) for the front side markers & repeaters
(casing is frosted white, so hopefully wont show under the new markers)

and just for fun, decided to get some Sylvania silverstar fog lights (#H1) in bright white. not a fan of the yellowish factory fogs...

pics next week when it's all put on

Old 02-18-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

PrettyBlueFin

I have Crystal-Clear Side-Markers with the little chrome bulb that blinks amber......You can get them at: Performance Lights | High Performance Car Lighting

A box will pop-up and just put in Jaguar - XK - Side Repeaters and several Side Markers will come up.....choose the ones you like best. I also bought the Chrome bulbs from them but do know where they have moved them. I sent them a note and when they answer I will send that information to you....I love the way they look!

Billy Clyde in Houston

prettybluefin (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
just got back from auto zone, no chrome tipped...

i ended up getting:

Sylvania red LED (#168R) for the front side markers & repeaters
(casing is frosted white, so hopefully wont show under the new markers)

and just for fun, decided to get some Sylvania silverstar fog lights (#H1) in bright white. not a fan of the yellowish factory fogs...

pics next week when it's all put on
Not that it really matters to me but red side markers and repeaters on the front are illegal..Any thing in front of the door has to be yellow or possibly clear.

Just FYI

Old 02-18-2017, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts
Old 02-18-2017, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jandreu
Not that it really matters to me but red side markers and repeaters on the front are illegal..Any thing in front of the door has to be yellow or possibly clear.

Just FYI
mine will be clear marker covers with red blinking bulbs. although when i asked a cop here, he replied that the "light" has to be blinking amber or red...

Jandreu (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

PrettyBlueFin,

I went back to Performancelights.co.uk and found the chrome tipped amber bulbs that I told you about earlier today! Go back to the website and on the Home page type in Chrome Bulbs in the Search Box......You will see Chrome Side Repeater Bulbs @ 3.15 in British currency....I ordered mine 5 or 6 years ago and they are still "Blinking"!

Billy Clyde in Houston

prettybluefin (02-20-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 03:12 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Just do a search on eBay for Philips Silver Vision PY21W.

Cheers,

Stu

prettybluefin (02-24-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:56 PM

thanks, i ended up getting the pair of red blinkers that are frosted white from the local auto parts store. hopefully they will be transparent under the new markers.

Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 PM

the clear markers arrived today from England. I am installing now, got the orange covers off, and put an LED bulb in. car is OFF> bulb has faint glow. when i turn car ON, and test light, it glows very bright...is this normal for it to emit a glow when off???

Old 02-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Bluefin,

What have you done? Go to: Performance Lights | High Performance Car Lighting and find side-repeaters for your Jag....Buy the 2nd one "Crystal Clear" get a couple sets as the attachment will sometimes break in the Car-Wash....Brushes do it! Then go to search and put in: "Chrome bulbs" and order 2 sets...You will be set of life...and fall in love with your Jag all over again!

They really are that pretty! Billy Clyde in Houston

prettybluefin (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Bluefin,

What have you done? Go to: Performance Lights | High Performance Car Lighting and find side-repeaters for your Jag....Buy the 2nd one "Crystal Clear" get a couple sets as the attachment will sometimes break in the Car-Wash....Brushes do it! Then go to search and put in: "Chrome bulbs" and order 2 sets...You will be set of life...and fall in love with your Jag all over again!

They really are that pretty! Billy Clyde in Houston
billy, i just went outside in the freezing California weather to take this photo for you.

the frosted white tipped red LED are transparent with the clear markers, so they look awesome. I am totally OCD, and if i saw a hint of red or fried egg, i would have returned them. I got the markers off Ebay and they are really great quality.

got whiter/brighter fog lights as well. my side repeaters will be a light smoke. still waiting for those, coming from England...

on another note, I used gorilla glue to seal the new clear markers on the fixtures, and it seems to have caused a hazy chemical reaction with the plastic. So I will try to live with it, as I waited to get them from England ($35) but I will likely end up switching them out. What glue did you use?

Too bad you are not in Ca. We could race down PCH. haha
and only hand-washing for my baby.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

Blue Fin, My apologies......All this time I thought you were talking about your Side Repeater Lights up by the "R" emblem that "blink" with your Turn Signals. I'll have to admit that the Clear ones you have put on the Jag look great with the color of your Jag.......Now, look up the side-repeater lights to replace the orange "Blinker" with a Clear ones that I have been Bitching at you to about....(see my last reply)!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 02-25-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
.......Now, look up the side-repeater lights to replace the orange "Blinker" with a Clear ones that I have been Bitching at you to about....(see my last reply)!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Or perhaps move/integrate the side repeaters into the front and put leapers back on the side (as the car designers intended).

A leaper like this would look way better than the protruding zit-like lense the fed mandated (and Jaguar was too cheap to remold the fender with a recess).

And you could maybe update the R emblem to be more like the later style too.

prettybluefin (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=rothwell;1628212]Or perhaps move/integrate the side repeaters into the front and put leapers back on the side (as the car designers intended).

my XKR is a 2005, so i dont have the leaper, i have the blinkers that actually blink.

i updated the R badge with one by mina gallery. it is slightly smaller than the original badge...

Old 02-25-2017, 09:11 PM

PS, LOVE the blinkers that you re-located. if you were in Ca, i would gladly pay you to do that to mine

rothwell (02-25-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 PM

the smoked side indicators came this morning, fitted them with red LED bulbs and they are amazing. really bright glow at night.

swapped the red LED bulbs in the front clear markers for white. i prefer all white in the front end. i used 6000k, which are super bright white

so happy with such inexpensive mods that really bring it up to date. all the parts are coming from the UK, so the waiting is the hardest part...

next are the OEM center caps...these are the gorgeous ones with intricately carved growler head in chrome...i got dark grey with chrome growler. excitedly awaiting.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Mr. Bluefin Sir,

Where did you get the Clear Front Marker Light Lens? I can't find them anywhere....

Billy Clyde in Houston