XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whaaaaa. Why do people put dings on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 01:17 AM
Received 139 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Whaaaaa. Why do people put dings on my car?

No matter how careful I am about where I park, someone invariably opens their door into my doors or front bumper. I just don't understand it. They're not big dings just little ones. Give me a break!

Old 08-19-2016, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I feel your pain. I get the same thing here in NJ. And I've got a handicapped sticker. Somehow the dings just appear.

Maybe someday I'll have the bucks to hire one of those guys who can press them out without drilling.

It sure would be fun to catch someone doing it wouldn't it?

Old 08-19-2016, 08:00 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It's the same on this side of the pond. Gets really annoying.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

There are times I will park way out in a lot, no cars near me. I come out and they are parked right next to me.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Yep, you just have to park as far away as you can, hopefully in a corner space, then hope for the best. The world is full of morons who have no respect for other peoples' property. I do everything I can to keep our vehicles away from them. When my wife got her XK8 back in February 2012, she finally adopted my philosophy and quit looking for the closest parking space....

Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brgjag
There are times I will park way out in a lot, no cars near me. I come out and they are parked right next to me.
It's ridiculous isn't it? I know these are attractive cars, but they seem to have some sort of magnetic quality too!

Old 08-19-2016, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

This has also been a pet peeve of mine. I always try first to park on the street but if I have to park in a lot I search for an end space. If none of those are available I pick an empty space based on the vehicles that are adjacent. The funny thing is that I find myself doing this even when I am on vacation or business and have a rental car--out of habit.

Doug

Old 08-19-2016, 11:04 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Very rarely will I leave my Jag any place where other cars can come near. On Thursday mornings, however, I usually go to breakfast with a half-dozen other retired cronies. Whenever I take the Jag, they know to park their cars on both sides of mine and to open their doors very carefully. What great friends!

Vince

Old 08-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I keep getting all kinds of scratches and dings all around the car they keep showing up. Only thing we can do is to detail and wax it every week to keep it looking good.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

People like to scratch mine. Jealousy I think.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sqeeter91
People like to scratch mine. Jealousy I think.
There may be more truth than humor in what you say!

Vince

Old 08-20-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I usually try to park next to new cars, especially more expensive ones, so the owners will be more careful about opening their doors.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Because they are entitled!

The following users liked this post:
MediaBobNY (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
Maybe someday I'll have the bucks to hire one of those guys who can press them out without drilling.
Paintless dent removal. I once used one of those guys for my Vanden Plas. The dings completely disappeared. He got at them by drilling one or two small holes in the door near the latch. The process seems to involve some wizardry - I have no idea how he did it. I don't remember paying more than $50 for his service. I had it done at my Jag dealer - he visits there once a week or so to help them prep the trade-in cars that they resell.

No dings/scratches on my XK8 - I park it far away from other cars. The side benefit is the exercise you get from walking.

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 08-21-2016 at 09:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MediaBobNY:
JimmyL (01-24-2020), Johnken (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
And I've got a handicapped sticker.
It sure would be fun to catch someone doing it wouldn't it?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...remove-166493/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-plugs-135516/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...shocks-146663/

Old 08-21-2016, 01:23 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts

here's MY OPINION...........

If you look around real good at all these shopping centers, you'll notice vast numbers of huge flesh blimps walking around--especially if you visit Wally Mart on a regular basis.

Now, picture these blimps trying to get out of their cars--or blimp mobiles--. There's no way they can get out with-out the doors completely open. How do they do that? Easy! They just pull into their spot, put down their gallon milkshake, hamburger, and fries. Go through a push and pull routine inside the car to get the seat belt undone--if their wearing one--most don't fit because they are two short to go around the mass--and push. The doors fly open and guess what stops their door. You got it. The car next to them. If it's your car, they don't care. Just getting out of theirs is all it's about.

No telling how big they will get in the next decade. I wonder what the car industries are going to do about all that weight in the seats their putting into the cars? I know the crapper builders are building bigger seats on their crappers to try and stem the tide.

If the car or truck your buying today has a seat or two that looks like the new Abrams tank rolled over it a few times, That might alert you to have the suspension checked out real good.

I'm not implying that I'm a thin post in the weight department any longer, but so far I've been able to keep the size of my belt below the 'blimp tie down strap size'. I also use another system to keep the dings off my Jags. I don't drive them to Wally Mart or any other "blimp temporary tie down stations".

Some of us don't have a choice, I know. The Jag is the only car. So, I guess there may be nothing that can be done--except try. There are door bumpers one can buy if you want to try those. I did years ago, only to come back to my car and find them gone....sometimes we just get no respect. Plus, we are living in a world of "tonnage" ad ons . Have you noticed that the more "free stuff"--welfare--food stamps--- is availably, the bigger they get.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Yes. I could write a book on strategic parking but unfortunately our parking lot at work has narrow spaces, is filled to capacity with lots of come and go, so that's where I usually get got. I actually thought about the annual cost of paintless dent repair just the other day as I was going over the household budget and figured I needed to set aside about $300 a year for Dave's boat payment.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 52 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Just lost for words.

What can you say?
The morning after a large rugby match at the local pub.
I had to get the whole car resprayed.
No where to run no where to hide!

Attached Thumbnails Whaaaaa. Why do people put dings on my car?-img_1915.jpg  
Old 08-21-2016, 08:46 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt'n Col
What can you say?
The morning after a large rugby match at the local pub.
I had to get the whole car resprayed.
No where to run no where to hide!
Ouch!!!

Old 08-21-2016, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
here's MY OPINION...........

If you look around real good at all these shopping centers, you'll notice vast numbers of huge flesh blimps walking around--especially if you visit Wally Mart on a regular basis.

Now, picture these blimps trying to get out of their cars--or blimp mobiles--. There's no way they can get out with-out the doors completely open. How do they do that? Easy! They just pull into their spot, put down their gallon milkshake, hamburger, and fries. Go through a push and pull routine inside the car to get the seat belt undone--if their wearing one--most don't fit because they are two short to go around the mass--and push. The doors fly open and guess what stops their door. You got it. The car next to them. If it's your car, they don't care. Just getting out of theirs is all it's about.

No telling how big they will get in the next decade. I wonder what the car industries are going to do about all that weight in the seats their putting into the cars? I know the crapper builders are building bigger seats on their crappers to try and stem the tide.

If the car or truck your buying today has a seat or two that looks like the new Abrams tank rolled over it a few times, That might alert you to have the suspension checked out real good.

I'm not implying that I'm a thin post in the weight department any longer, but so far I've been able to keep the size of my belt below the 'blimp tie down strap size'. I also use another system to keep the dings off my Jags. I don't drive them to Wally Mart or any other "blimp temporary tie down stations".

Some of us don't have a choice, I know. The Jag is the only car. So, I guess there may be nothing that can be done--except try. There are door bumpers one can buy if you want to try those. I did years ago, only to come back to my car and find them gone....sometimes we just get no respect. Plus, we are living in a world of "tonnage" ad ons . Have you noticed that the more "free stuff"--welfare--food stamps--- is availably, the bigger they get.

I was actually laughing out loud when reading this

Good analysis!

Doug

Quick Reply: Whaaaaa. Why do people put dings on my car?