XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xk8 1999 auto 4.0 ltr.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Xk8 1999 auto 4.0 ltr.

To recap all the info that I have posted in ref to the title, its a sad affair that the company that has attempted repairs to fix the problems thats been going on for months have still not put it right. Its my friend that has these problems in ref to,,,, Limp Home, ABS, Traction Control, Restricted Performance, etc.
When his car taken in for repair on the 03/12/2015 Stratstones replaced 2x O2 Sensors and no change, then installed a New ECU, and no change to date. They now said its the Throttle Body that needs either a reconditioned one and or a new one.
However, how is it that my friend was charged just over £4.000 and paid for it in full of what has been carried out and still not corrected, they now want more now to put in a TB. If they think that this is the problem then why from the start did they not install a New or Reconditioned TB without doing the above items? So as be it untill now, nothing has been corrected and charged this amount as above. So to me that all above installed has been a total waste of money, if my friend decides next week to have a TB installed, who is to say that it will correct the problems?
When they contact my friend next week he has already told them that he his paying no more to them.
Please reply with your thoughts. Many Thanks.

Last edited by carl purchase; 01-03-2016 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

To be honest Carl your friend has been very foolish in going to that particular franchise in the first place. Given the opportunity they will continue to replace components until the car is fixed, all at the owners cost.
It would have been prudent to have found a respected and recommended indy rather than these modern day highwaymen.
It's a very expensive lesson but he needs to get his car away from them.

Old 01-03-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 342 Posts

Your friend will have soon spent more than the value of the car on repairs. If he has comprehensive insurance it might be worth claiming on that as the damage your friend did to the car was accidental.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,489 Likes on 3,906 Posts

Failing that, think about a legal claim to recover most of that money.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

I can't see how a legal claim would get anywhere. The car has serious problems with the electronics and the workshop changed the parts as indicated by the fault codes. Unless you can show they didn't change the parts they said they did, or they changed parts that weren't shown as being faulty, I can't see what the claim is.

It's not the workshop's fault that there is so much wrong with the electronics.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,209 Likes on 1,701 Posts

What are the OBDII codes they are getting?

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 01-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Is this the place ? https://nl.trustpilot.com/review/stratstones.co.uk

If so, your friend is apparently not alone in his experience.

It is interesting to me that many service providers don't seem to be any better at correctly identifying failed components than are "shade tree" mechanics with more limited diagnostic tools.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,308 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
It's a very expensive lesson but he needs to get his car away from them.
+1
Otherwise they will just keep throwing parts at it (on your friend's dime) until they accidentally stumble on the solution. I, too, would want all the changed out parts.

Old article, but I'd be giving any dealership that behaved like this a particularly wide berth:
Motorist is told his £45,000 Jaguar keeps breaking down because he is not driving FAST enough | Daily Mail Online

" I'm sorry I was speeding officer, but the dealer made me do it"

M

Old 01-03-2016, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

NEW ECU or rebuilt or used from another car?

Old 01-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by carl purchase
To recap all the info that I have posted in ref to the title, its a sad affair that the company that has attempted repairs to fix the problems thats been going on for months have still not put it right. Its my friend that has these problems in ref to,,,, Limp Home, ABS, Traction Control, Restricted Performance, etc.
When his car taken in for repair on the 03/12/2015 Stratstones replaced 2x O2 Sensors and no change, then installed a New ECU, and no change to date. They now said its the Throttle Body that needs either a reconditioned one and or a new one.
However, how is it that my friend was charged just over £4.000 and paid for it in full of what has been carried out and still not corrected, they now want more now to put in a TB. If they think that this is the problem then why from the start did they not install a New or Reconditioned TB without doing the above items? So as be it untill now, nothing has been corrected and charged this amount as above. So to me that all above installed has been a total waste of money, if my friend decides next week to have a TB installed, who is to say that it will correct the problems?
When they contact my friend next week he has already told them that he his paying no more to them.
Please reply with your thoughts. Many Thanks.

sometimes it's best to consider bailing out of a bad situation and starting over.

maybe sell the car as is or part it out and find another car. there are many, many out there for not a whole lot of money right now and if you look good, maybe you can find a nice distress sale where somebody just had a baby and needs money.

just a thought. recovering the money from the one that took it can be a dubious affair and no guarantees. your time is the most valuable asset you have.

GL,

frank in fl

Old 01-04-2016, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by dibbit
I can't see how a legal claim would get anywhere. The car has serious problems with the electronics and the workshop changed the parts as indicated by the fault codes. Unless you can show they didn't change the parts they said they did, or they changed parts that weren't shown as being faulty, I can't see what the claim is.

It's not the workshop's fault that there is so much wrong with the electronics.
You don't just throw parts per codes. You diagnose, using codes as hints. The money charged is out of all proportion.

What's been done is like a complete amateur owner guessing that codes = definite fault in first thing the code includes. Well, duh, every code has a list of possible causes hardly ever just one item.

The following users liked this post:
OhWhatNow (01-15-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
You don't just throw parts per codes. You diagnose, using codes as hints. The money charged is out of all proportion.

What's been done is like a complete amateur owner guessing that codes = definite fault in first thing the code includes. Well, duh, every code has a list of possible causes hardly ever just one item.
Which is why everyone says you should avoid main Jaguar dealers like Stratstones and use a good independent or better still do the work yourself. But if you do use a main dealer after trashing your car, its difficult to see how you could take legal action to recover the £100 an hour you agreed to pay for their mechanics, or the £1500 you agreed to pay for a new ECU, especially as they did in fact get the car working again, albeit briefly.

Main dealers are expensive and largely useless on 17 year old cars, but it's not illegal to charge £100 an hour.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:31 AM
Veteran Member

The relationship is:
firm big and should be highly knowledgeable so do the job right cost-effectively
vs
ordinary owner.

The firm has failed to do what any reasonable person would expect. Legally that invites a claim.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:31 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JagV8
The relationship is:
firm big and should be highly knowledgeable so do the job right cost-effectively
vs
ordinary owner.

The firm has failed to do what any reasonable person would expect. Legally that invites a claim.
My friend has now had a call yesterday from Stratstones, the service manager has stated that they have found the fault that is for sure. Its the TPS and it was ordered yesterday, at the price of £92.50 genuine Jag part, I think its Denso that makes these for Jaguar?
The code that they received when we was there before xmas when running a Diagnostic test was P0121 and the auto electrician had to look it up. However, on my friends hand held Diagnostic tool the code we had was P0124 and in his book of codes its for the TPS, there is no code for P0121 in his book. I take it that as his Diagnostic tool the codes are for whats wrong in the OBD11 as its for all vehicles?
Service manager said that what they have done untill now inc parts, my friend is covered by a 2 year waranty for parts and labour. Please if you may let me know as it was, they changed the ECU and 2 x O2 Sensors, if a fauty ECU was on his XK8 does this mean that it will not find the codes at all if any componants were faulty? We have had codes with his hand held Diagnostic tool anyway over months, however, the code being P0124 did not come up when he had the existing ECU on his car.
My question is why did they install a new ECU and O2 Sensors if what is wrong is this TPS? I would love to have a complete list of Fault codes for his XK8 1999 4.0 LTR Auto. A reply would be so appriciated. Thank you and bye for now.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:14 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am unable to identify the cause of a code P0124 but for the P0121 I am providing a little information for you to read it is related to the plug.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 01-07-2016, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
I am unable to identify the cause of a code P0124 but for the P0121 I am providing a little information for you to read it is related to the plug.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Thank you, the code of P0124 is for the TPS that is listed in my friends OBD11 Hand Book. The reason for this is that the OBD11 is to get codes for all vehicles and this code relates to just the TPS. However, Jaguar itself on their Diagnostic Machine list that code as P0121.
So it relates to the same problem, in my friends Hand Book the code P0121 is not listed thats why their code is different but means the same. Bye for now.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

This is the list for JAGUAR not a general list you need to use it.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...J27%201999.pdf

Using a generic list will put you in the wrong direction.

The following users liked this post:
carl purchase (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
This is the list for JAGUAR not a general list you need to use it.

Link http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa...J27%201999.pdf

Using a generic list will put you in the wrong direction.
Thank you so much, this is as now printed off its a lifeline for my friend. You are most kind. Bye for now.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:09 AM
Default Xk8 1999 tps.

Hello to you all, My friend as I mentioned that he have had his car back on 06/01/2016. He have used his car every day from that date on and when he uses it today it will be a week of no problems. The TPS that was fitted by Strastones two days before collection, However, when Stratstones fitted a new ECU and Two O2 Upstream Sensors the first week of Dec 2015, there was nothing that changed at all that made his car run as it should.
He was in the same sitiuation of it going into Limp Mode, Restricted Performance, Traction Control and ABS warning. This was the same as when the existing ECU and Two Upstream Sensors that was not changed. So I myself and my friend cannot see why they fitted the new ECU and Sensors whilst it made no difference.
Its this TPS that looks like it have corrected what was wrong for over the period of in total about 6 months. Please send me your thoughts if you wish. Many thanks.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by carl purchase
Thank you, the code of P0124 is for the TPS that is listed in my friends OBD11 Hand Book. The reason for this is that the OBD11 is to get codes for all vehicles and this code relates to just the TPS. However, Jaguar itself on their Diagnostic Machine list that code as P0121.
So it relates to the same problem, in my friends Hand Book the code P0121 is not listed thats why their code is different but means the same. Bye for now.
The code for a TPS fault is P0123 not what I said above being P0124.

Quick Reply: Xk8 1999 auto 4.0 ltr.