XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Received 172 Likes on 133 Posts
Default XK8 pricing

I was looking at a 1998 XK8 convertible. V8, 65,000 miles, the standard loaded up car. The seller has been reducing the price for some time. It is at $4200. Is that high or low for this year car. I have only seen 14 photos of the car and will go look this Saturday. Any ideas?

Old 09-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

that may not be that bad. What price did he start from? is there a repair history avail for the car, primarily the timing chain tensioners, water pump, hoses. Have the hydraulic hoses even been replaced for the top (important).
If they have NO history on the car, I would pass. 4800 may be cheap but you will pass that figure up in repairs most likely, specially if you can't do your own work!

The following users liked this post:
davidladewig (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

These cars are best owned by hobby mechanics. The $4800 is actually pretty cheap and there must be a reason that it hasn't sold.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by test point
These cars are best owned by hobby mechanics. The $4800 is actually pretty cheap and there must be a reason that it hasn't sold.

It's $4200 but one of the things holding it back is his custom wheels. UGLEEEEE. They have the originals. I'll know more this weekend. I have the same engine and my sis has an XK8 so I'll be able to ask her to give an opinion too. More later.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:41 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I wouldn't read too much into the vehicle being offered for sale for some time and the price reduced. Many potential buyers unfamiliar with Jaguar will have been put off by the vehicle age and Jaguar's reputation for unreliability.

I'm not familiar with USA values for used Jaguars but in the overall cost of ownership, a few $100's above 'book value' makes little difference.

Things that make me comfortable when assessing a potential purchase:

1. lengthy period of ownership (definitely no quick 'flips')
2. comprehensive documented service and repair history
3. only code P1111 when I put a scantool on it

You're familiar with the V8 from your current vehicle so will know all about tensioners. The next big question I'd ask is about transmission fluid changes. If it hasn't been done then the vehicle is at just the right mileage to need it. As has already been mentioned, the cooling system regularly causes issues so look for evidence of overheating.

XK8's are heavy on front suspension bush wear so clunks or wandering steering are suspicious.

My approach to purchase is to place greater weight on the condition of the bodywork and interior rather than mechanicals. Paint and trim are expensive to fix and damage indicates a careless owner. Most mechanical issues on these vehicles can be fixed by competent DIY'ers and make for a good bargaining tool in reducing the price.

Graham

Old 09-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by GGG

Things that make me comfortable when assessing a potential purchase:

1. lengthy period of ownership (definitely no quick 'flips')
2. comprehensive documented service and repair history
3. only code P1111 when I put a scantool on it

You're familiar with the V8 from your current vehicle so will know all about tensioners. The next big question I'd ask is about transmission fluid changes. If it hasn't been done then the vehicle is at just the right mileage to need it. As has already been mentioned, the cooling system regularly causes issues so look for evidence of overheating.

XK8's are heavy on front suspension bush wear so clunks or wandering steering are suspicious.

My approach to purchase is to place greater weight on the condition of the bodywork and interior rather than mechanicals. Paint and trim are expensive to fix and damage indicates a careless owner. Most mechanical issues on these vehicles can be fixed by competent DIY'ers and make for a good bargaining tool in reducing the price.

Graham

I think we are on the same page here. I don't need this car so I am not "gotta have it" eager. First thing is body, leather, mechanicals. I agree that overheating on the 4.0 is a real danger. It is a difficult car to find leaks when you get them. This weekend will tell me a lot.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by davidladewig
I think we are on the same page here. I don't need this car so I am not "gotta have it" eager. First thing is body, leather, mechanicals. I agree that overheating on the 4.0 is a real danger. It is a difficult car to find leaks when you get them. This weekend will tell me a lot.
Service history and length of ownership and reason for disposal are my main concerns...
Good luck as Jaguar XK8's resell prices are ridiculously low as compared to other marques because of Jaguar's poor reputation for expensive & wanting maintenance (which are untrue after Ford's acquisition).

Old 09-23-2015, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pristine97XK8Convertible
Service history and length of ownership and reason for disposal are my main concerns...
Good luck as Jaguar XK8's resell prices are ridiculously low as compared to other marques because of Jaguar's poor reputation for expensive & wanting maintenance (which are untrue after Ford's acquisition).

I went and saw the car today just for a visual. No engine work ever. Check engine light is one and owner says his SIL(dealer tech) read it and says it is a knock sensor. 68,000 miles. Top is OK, seats need some work. Front bumper cover has some paint peel. (It may have been damaged at some point). Body alignment is good. Owner has had it 5 years. No oil/fluid leaks. I didn't drive it today, just looked and listened.

Why someone wouldn't replace a knock sensor is puzzling or may be an indication of big problems. I might leave it at that. Without a complete inspection, I wouldn't pay over $1200 for it. It is WAY out in the country and Jag dealer within 100 miles.

Last edited by davidladewig; 09-23-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I went and saw the car today just for a visual. No engine work ever. Check engine light is one and owner says his SIL(dealer tech) read it and says it is a knock sensor. 68,000 miles. Top is OK, seats need some work. Front bumper cover has some paint peel. (It may have been damaged at some point). Body alignment is good. Owner has had it 5 years. No oil/fluid leaks. I didn't drive it today, just looked and listened.

Why someone wouldn't replace a knock sensor is puzzling or may be an indication of big problems. I might leave it at that. Without a complete inspection, I wouldn't pay over $1200 for it. It is WAY out in the country and Jag dealer within 100 miles.
David, I am up in Huntsville, I think that is too much in the condition you describe. $4200 is about right for a car that is near perfect.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:02 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by auburn2
David, I am up in Huntsville, I think that is too much in the condition you describe. $4200 is about right for a car that is near perfect.
$4200 for a near perfect XK8! I need to move to your area. Can't get them that cheap up hear in the Northeast.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by auburn2

I agree. The car is in Albertville. I am out on this one. Somthin' ain't right about it and I get the gut feeling it is tensioners/chains and not knock sensors. Not interested in a $2700 repair up front.

Last edited by davidladewig; 09-26-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

The advice I try to follow with older cars is 'buy the best one you can find'

Idea is the few thousands difference in purchase price is less than the cost of the extra repairs needed for a neglected car.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:11 AM

Spending a little more is good thinking if the car is jam up. This particular car has an issue and it is being hidden. Car looks good, but the story about the check engine light doesn't add up. Pass on this one.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Spending a little more is good thinking if the car is jam up. This particular car has an issue and it is being hidden. Car looks good, but the story about the check engine light doesn't add up. Pass on this one.
Good call. Even if I know the fix, I have a rule that I won't buy a car when I feel the seller is shady. I hate stories. I'll buy a car needing everything, but will pay accordingly and only if the seller seems on the up and up.

I am very good at buying and inspecting cars, but you miss stuff, and if someone lies on one thing, it likely isn't the only thing being lied about.

These cars aren't rare. There will be another deal!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

You need a droid phone, the Torque app and adapter and you could pull the code/codes right there on the spot. Sounds like the owner prob would not let you.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I would think that every used car looker would automatically take an OBD w/Torque. Also gets good info on oil pressure and engine temp....at least on the cars I tried it on.