Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

2001 S-Type upgrades for Android and MP3-player

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S-Type upgrades for Android and MP3-player

Hi guys,

I know similar is covered elsewhere, but I think possibly the archaic-ness of the systems on the early S-Type models might cause extra grief, so I'm starting a new post.

In my central armrest there is a holster for a Motorola phone, with a hard-wired cable into the innards, which I'm guessing is the only way currently to connect into the phone system in the car as it doesn't have bluetooth functionality. I'd like to make use of the in-car hands-free system if possible for calls.

Ideally I'd like a solution which includes power for my phone (I'm on an Android Samsung Galaxy at the moment, but I guess any USB would be fine). I'm also keen not to use the CD-changer in the boot, and replace it with an MP3 player solution (ideally including power) - I currently have an iPod but I'd consider changing that if it helped. If that solution could include display of track on the stereo system, as well as allowing control of volume / changing track from the stereo and steering wheel too, so much the better. Additionally, I'd prefer something that can be hidden away behind the dashboard so that there's not a jumble of wires on view. Bluetooth connectivity for both the phone and mp3 player would be fine if there is a method of charging.

So... fairly specific in what I'm after. The Jaguar dealers I've contacted so far say that there is no Jaguar solution to the problem in production (I assume they mean the ACM). Has anyone done anything similar with good results? Any pointers would be gratefully received. I've looked at iSimple products but not sure that they cover what I'm after.

Thanks, Nathan

Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Milskin,

I've seen a lot of people on these forums trying to do the same thing, and I've must admit I've done it myself. I also did the same thing you did and try to find a Jaguar solution but the complexity and price just got too much. So I thought I could just do it myself, so I did for only about $700 AUD!

Wasn't too hard either, have a look at the pictures. I used a Sony head deck which has two USB cables to charge your phone/s, bluetooth (with all the changing functionality you talked about), CD player, touchscreen, and auxiliary microphone for making phone calls. Sounds like exactly what you need.

I can give you more details if you're interested?

Attached Thumbnails 2001 S-Type upgrades for Android and MP3-player-dsc_3387-2000.jpg   2001 S-Type upgrades for Android and MP3-player-dsc_3520-2000.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - thanks for the response.

That looks good - is it a XAV-601BT? That's the one I've been considering, especially as Halfords are selling them half price (£280). I don't really see the point in getting a single-din, nor anything that doesn't interface well with my phone.

Anyway, so my understanding is that I'll need a bracket for the stereo, an adapter for the stereo-to-Jag wiring, and another adapter to get it integrated with the

Essentially, this, plus everything in the "related products", plus potentially a cage for the stereo.

Buy CT24JG02 Jaguar S Type X Type Double Din Fascia

That about sum it up?

How did you find doing the work yourself?

Thanks,
Nathan

Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Milskin,

That's right it's a Sony XAV-601BT. I've tested a few touchscreen headdecks out there and this one is certainly the best for the price, nice and responsive with lots of functionality.

You're also right about the harness adapters, steering control adapters, cage, facia and antenna adapters. I've put the link for those below.

Steering adapter
Facia and cage
Harness adapter
Antenna adapter

The job took about a week on and off, I didn't have much time to spend with the car in one go. I don't remember the details but the cage that comes off ebay and the cage that comes with the headdeck don't match up very well and I ended up having to zip tie the entire thing together. But hey it's held strong for half a year so far, no issues. The adapters are a definite, without those you would have to cut all the Jaguar wiring and find what goes where. Problem with the adapters is that the outputs which go to your headdeck don't fit on the Sony, so you would need to cut those wires anyway, but much better than cutting Jaguar wires.

Other than that, I just needed to spray paint the facia since it came grey and the dash is black. I don't have steering wheel controls so I wouldn't know about that but I'm sure the adapter should be pretty easy to fit.