Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

School me.. Remote Starter for 07 XKR - Houston

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default School me.. Remote Starter for 07 XKR - Houston

It is about 135 degrees in Texas right now, I have to park my black 07 XKR outside during the day (my daily driver) and I want to add remote start so I can bring the temperature back down to something that won't roast my chestnuts before I get in.

I only know of one reputable audio shop in Houston, I told them I wanted the Viper SmartStart system on my Jag. It seems like a cool (no pun intended) solution, you can start your car from your phone, it has GPS tracking, and you can get alarm notifications from far away.

After a few days they called me back and said they researched and would not do it. They said the push button start of the XKR would leave the car vulnerable to theft as anyone could just brake a window, push the start button and be gone. I assume this is because you have to have a key in a bypass box?

Anyway... does anyone know 1. Can this be done and 2. Where in Houston is trustworthy.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

okay well, this is almost correct.......if you use the correct bypass, you wont be able to just push the start button and go........HOWEVER you will "lose" a key for the install...

Amazon.com: New Universal Proximity Key Bypass Override Kit Dei 1101t No Programming Required Simple Install by DEI: Home & Garden

you are going to need this to override the factory transponder ring, but this only functions upon getting the signal from the remote starter.

Now electrically speaking, let me look into the factory ignition circuit, and i will give you a better idea of what is really the hold back on the vehicle.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

looking not too deep into it, i can see why they probably dont want to do it.........alot of the ignition and accessory lines are (-) which is really not a big deal, however can require alot of relays to make it work correctly.........let me see what else i can find on it.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

door unlock and lock wires need to be run into the driver door, parking light wiring is behind the glovebox, that a lot of wire runs however nothing i havent done before.

To do a full blown system in this will probably run about 600-750 dollars if i did it.

I think if you really want remote start, i would do a system like the following ones along with the bypass module above:

Model_E2

C3-RS603 - Remote Car Starters - AutoPage

Avital - Product 4113 One-button Remote Start with Unlocking

any 3 of these will work for you.

want me to dig further for you?

The following users liked this post:
Gn4hir (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Default So it is do-able

Jason,

Thanks.. it seems the key so to speak is the bypass.

I looked at a couple of the sytems you suggested, they show simple remotes but I assume you can pay for the upgraded remotes with 2 way data? I would want to know temp, lock status, run time etc..

The DEI bypass unit is compatible with various alarm systems, any reason not to use the Viper VSS5000 SmartStart w/ Security system? Viper SmartStart for iPhone I read some good and some bad on the boards.

In fact, I was surprised to see that DEI is Viper and Avital and Code Alarm.

I was expecting to spend close to $500-$750 to get this running.

Last.. and a stupid question I'm guessing. I'm going to end up meeding both my regular Jag key plus the alarm remote (or iPhone) to operate the vehicle right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this.

Joe
Houston

Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Good Lord, when I read the title of this thread I nearly fell off my stool with shock (after the saga in the S Type section).

But now I see that Jason is on to it, you are evidently in good hands.

Nuff said.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GN4HIR
Jason,

Thanks.. it seems the key so to speak is the bypass.

I looked at a couple of the sytems you suggested, they show simple remotes but I assume you can pay for the upgraded remotes with 2 way data? I would want to know temp, lock status, run time etc..

The DEI bypass unit is compatible with various alarm systems, any reason not to use the Viper VSS5000 SmartStart w/ Security system? Viper SmartStart for iPhone I read some good and some bad on the boards.

In fact, I was surprised to see that DEI is Viper and Avital and Code Alarm.

I was expecting to spend close to $500-$750 to get this running.

Last.. and a stupid question I'm guessing. I'm going to end up meeding both my regular Jag key plus the alarm remote (or iPhone) to operate the vehicle right?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this.

Joe
Houston
Okay so with the products i posted, these were the units i would suggest for your vehicle. The reason why is most of them will integrate to the factory remote, so you wouldnt need to carry 2 keypads, per say.

NOW since i see the full feature set you are looking for, let me give you some recommendations. First though, DEI has (viper, python, clifford, sidewinder,avital, ready remote,astro start, auto mate, and auto start) under their umbrella.
Audiovox has (pursuit, prestige, and code alarm)
Autopage is just that.
Compustar is just that.

There is a new company that just came out in July. I had a huge hand in designing and prototyping of the units, it has the features people want, and i know for a fact the quality of the units is top notch. I can tell you late setptember early october, the Entourage unit should be ready to go. go here : www.encoreautomotivesystems.com and look at either the E7 or the E9. Most of these units will do what you asked for. Yes i have involvement with the company, as i do with Autopage. PM me and i can explain better.

Also of note is the new C/3 hybrid unit coming out about the same time. This is an Autopage unit that i had a hand in releasing back in 2007.(The original c/3 that is.) This unit was the FIRST of its kind, and it has been on the streets for 4 years now. The new one is even going to be better. I have been working with out team at Autopage on the interface for the phone. It is promising to be AWESOME.

NOW on to the recommendations.

Use the system you feel comfortable with. The system isnt going to matter if it is a quality unit from any of the names in this thread.

YOUR INSTALLER IS THE KEY.

in no aprticular order, and youwill not hut my feelings if it isnt one of the companies i work for:

Viper Viper - Viper 5901 Responder LC3 SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System

Autopage C3 RS-915LCD - 2-Way Communications - AutoPage

Encore Model_E9

Clifford Clifford - Clifford 50.7X

You also might want to check this out too, this is available as i said above sometime in the coming months: Entourage

Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Translator
Good Lord, when I read the title of this thread I nearly fell off my stool with shock (after the saga in the S Type section).

But now I see that Jason is on to it, you are evidently in good hands.

Nuff said.
lol thanks, but i still fell out of my chair when i was asked to look at this post originally. Not that the car CANT be done, but it definitely wouldnt be for the faint of heart.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 PM

Thanks for all the options.

Brutal in a PM mentioned that the key in the car would create issues but my understanding is that the bypass unit has a power adapter for the key fob that replaces its battery so the key fob is only energized during the time it is receiving a start command from the remotestart. Sound right?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GN4HIR
Thanks for all the options.

Brutal in a PM mentioned that the key in the car would create issues but my understanding is that the bypass unit has a power adapter for the key fob that replaces its battery so the key fob is only energized during the time it is receiving a start command from the remotestart. Sound right?
that is correct

Old 08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Based upon the thread in the S-Type section, I'd drive the car to PA and pay Jason to do it.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New here and to the Jag family.
Have a 2010 XK and would like to add a remote starter. Check my location, it'll be pretty obvious why I'm interested!! ;-)
However as I am overseas, the options available to us back in North American do not always exist over here. Therefore, has anyone consider a factory unit? I ask because I suspect that that will be my only option.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
Okay so with the products i posted, these were the units i would suggest for your vehicle. The reason why is most of them will integrate to the factory remote, so you wouldnt need to carry 2 keypads, per say.
I had no idea this was possible.
Maybe it's not for me, but if it is I definitely want it!
I have a '98 jag xjr.
I want to put in a remote start, but would prefer not to carry two remotes.
Would I be better off getting a full alarm system that does it all and forego using the jag remote?