2015 Meet Up and Run No. 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default 2015 Meet Up and Run No. 1

Thinking of trying to organise something late Feb or early March. Previously the group was talking about picnic type event as a change from the pub/winery lunch venue.

If potential heat is an issue we can maybe try a winery or similar venue down on the Mornington Peninsula (Red Hill maybe?) for a change of scenery, or if we know some shady picnic areas we can make our own event. I know of one just outside of Healesville but other nominations most welcome. Just need to have plenty of shade on offer.

So firstly who is interested given the timing? and secondly any venue thoughts are welcome. Even those that dont get used initially are great to know for future event ideas.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

The destinations sound good. Are you thinking Maroondah Dam just outside Healesville??

Old 01-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagent
The destinations sound good. Are you thinking Maroondah Dam just outside Healesville??
Hi Tony, yes there are lots of big trees there last time I went. Would have to do a check though to be sure. Ken had a potential venue in mind also.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve, We were at MD a few months ago, hasn't changed. Heavily treed, good parking & picnic facs. I also liked Ken's idea's, and if considering the NW direction maybe Hanging Rock could go into the mix?

If we do a picnic run this time (whatever the direction) maybe winter would be good for winery/restaurant/pub again?

Anyway, some good locations are coming out, hopefully a bit wider input will consolidate what are the preferred destinations / style of outing.

Cheers,

Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Hi

I'd be keen to tag along if you don't mind a Jag newbie. Sunday's are usually a better option than Saturday's, although I did a mid-week cruise with some friends last week to Marysville, stopped for lunch there, then went on down Reefton Spur, stopped for a drink at Reefton Hotel, then looped back to Melbourne via Warburton.

Last Friday, I drove down to Portarlington and had fish and chips on the foreshore at the park there, then drove across to Queenscliff before heading back to Melbourne via Geelong. The roads were a bit more sedate and less picturesque than the first route however.

Have been wanting to explore a back road route out west to Daylesford at some stage too.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if you fix a date and destination.

Cheers
Scott

Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hi

I'd be keen to tag along if you don't mind a Jag newbie. Sunday's are usually a better option than Saturday's, although I did a mid-week cruise with some friends last week to Marysville, stopped for lunch there, then went on down Reefton Spur, stopped for a drink at Reefton Hotel, then looped back to Melbourne via Warburton.

Last Friday, I drove down to Portarlington and had fish and chips on the foreshore at the park there, then drove across to Queenscliff before heading back to Melbourne via Geelong. The roads were a bit more sedate and less picturesque than the first route however.

Have been wanting to explore a back road route out west to Daylesford at some stage too.

Will keep an eye on this thread to see if you fix a date and destination.

Cheers
Scott
If you do the Spur/Marysville run again another way home ( or to lunch in the Yarra Valley) is to keep going along the road to Alexandra and turn left onto the Whanregarwen Rd. Its a very pretty river valley with lots of fast sweeping curves and little traffic. Cuts back to the highway before Yea and then down to the YV.

Thanks for your interest. Hope the timing suits when we get organised.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (02-07-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yarpos
If you do the Spur/Marysville run again another way home ( or to lunch in the Yarra Valley) is to keep going along the road to Alexandra and turn left onto the Whanregarwen Rd. Its a very pretty river valley with lots of fast sweeping curves and little traffic. Cuts back to the highway before Yea and then down to the YV.
Thanks Steve. I'll make a note of that and check it out some time.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Gents,

I will be in for the next cruise, regardless of the route. Please keep me posted!!! (Pun intended)

Mark.

MikeyB10 (02-07-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MH3.0D
Gents,

I will be in for the next cruise, regardless of the route. Please keep me posted!!! (Pun intended)

Mark.
I see what you did there. Welcome Mark, I missed your arrival in November. Looks like we might have a decent convoy for this round.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

The following is Plan A for the first run of 2015.

Basic idea is for a run up to the north west to Kyneton, for a picnic style lunch (if you are not picnic oriented, Kyneton is enabled with take away options)

Melbournites to gather is the eastern burbs (somewhere near Eastlink probably) and convoy up to Gisborne to meet up with others that suits better. Then a off freeway run on backroads to Kyneton Botanical Gardens.

Weekends proposed are either side of the GP weekend. So, March 7/8 or 21/22.

Please confirm if you are interested and if any days are no go's for you (PM if you like). I will try and pick a day that maximises the chance for people to get along.

We are doing the picnic thing just for a bit of a change. Please come along and lets discuss what the group would like to do in future e.g. longer runs (GOR), weekend trips with o/n stays (Alpine Way, back via Gippsland), runs the car club days (Porsche Club at Philip Island or similar), or ....................

So basically are you in? and let me know if any days proposed dont work.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:14 AM
Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

We're keen to catch up with everyone again Steve.
Would be nice to head west for a change, but I'm happy to go with the flow.
Either weekend is good for me.
Looks like we could have a nice variety of models.

Ken

Last edited by Hawken; 02-05-2015 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Ken

West is fine with me its just a proposal vs no plan at this stage. Where were you thinking? Its not an area I get to much and then its only paasing by going to Adelaide.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve,

Either of those weekends works for us too.

Kyneton sounds fine, we're familiar with the area - nice spot.

Looking forward to catching up and meeting some newcomers too!

Tony.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Steve,
I'm keen Those weekends seem workable for me. Sundays are preferred, as I'm usually doing Saturday sport duty with kids, but I'll try to fit in with whatever happens.
Kyneton sounds like a good route - I haven't been out that way in a while.
Cheers,
Scott

Old 02-06-2015, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the interest so far.

The starting list at the moment is:

Steve (Yarpos)
Ken (Hawken)
Tony (Jagent)
Scott (Ozrisk)

Old 02-07-2015, 04:24 AM
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Count me in. Most likely by myself so the takeaway option will suit. Happy to do either weekend and look forward to the pre meet in the east.
Kind Regards,
Mark.

MikeyB10 (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi all sorry for the late expression of interest but count me in. A few great ideas on locations and days, reading through the posts.
Im happy to adapt and go with the flow just finalise the days destination and Ill make arrangements to be available.

yarpos (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MH3.0D
Count me in. Most likely by myself so the takeaway option will suit. Happy to do either weekend and look forward to the pre meet in the east.
Kind Regards,
Mark.
Hi Mark

If the way my missus usually caters for these things is any guide there will probably be an excess of food, so you would probably be safe just packing some extra drinks I reckon.

In any case glad you can come , we look like having a good sized group this round.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Default Current Start List

The starting list at the moment is:

Steve (Yarpos)
Ken (Hawken)
Tony (Jagent)
Scott (Ozrisk)
Mark (MH3.OD)
Michael (MikeyB10)

Old 02-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Any more thoughts of a date? Having had time to consider dates, diaries and spouse, I'll start the ball rolling with my vote for Sunday March 22nd

Quick Reply: 2015 Meet Up and Run No. 1