Jag friendly panel shops in Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Default Jag friendly panel shops in Melbourne

Hi

After a recent long road trip, we have decided that we like our Jag and would like to keep it for a few more years, which will mean spending stupid amounts of money vs the value of the car.

Being an XJ6 it came with the traditional window opening rust, we just have the early signs so I would like to get it done before we have leaks.

I have one recommendation from Ratcliffs for Tankards Panels in Ringwood. Does anyone know of other Jag friendly shops that I might use for this type of work?

Old 04-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Seems none of the 172 viewers has had any work done that's worthy of mention!

I'd also like to know of any seriously trusted shops, too many cowboys still practicing in that trade. Having said that, any recommendations from the boys at Ratcliff's is a good start.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Spoke with Tankards today, they do restoration type work in addition to smash repairs.

They seemed quite switched on and realistic about the work and confirming/setting my expectations. A quote will be on the way shortly.

The following users liked this post:
MikeyB10 (06-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member

Tankards quote is $3k to remove front and rear glass, treat rust areas and respray. To this I would need to add a few hundred for a new front screen (damaged during the last trip) and $400 for a new headlining.

Quote is quite detailed noting all the R&R required and pinstriping. Could go up once we open Pandoras Box of course but hopefully going early before real problems develop will pay dividends.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Ouch! Labour intensive though, just getting the F&R glass out is a PITA on the these cars.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Steve and Tony.
My first reaction didn't match Tony's . . . in fact, based on my experience and provided Steve, you can back Ratcliff's recommendation with this shop's evidence of past work of a similar nature, finished to a high standard . . . I'd say it's a quite reasonable figure for the work involved. Have they got before/after pics of similar work on other cars? Once happy you will get the "quality" you want, I would have no problem with the money being asked.

Don't get me wrong. I know 3K doesn't fall out of trees and I like Tony's sympathetic "Ouch" but . . . having just been quoted $8,000+ for a total body respray on an otherwise brilliant '94 XJ40 (any rust or other panel work at extra cost) would leave my $2,000 car the worth (maybe) $6,000 . . . but only on a good day with a fair wind assisting! My challenge for this car as a potential daily driver (and also for my earlier '87 XJ40) neither of which have rust or dents, just faded duco that has been polished to death, is whether I take the soft option of NOT removing the screens and painting myself.

Viewed that way, $3,000 is just expensive ongoing maintenance whereas $8,000 - $10,000 is into serious restoration territory.

Please let us know the outcome Steve and another suggestion . . . see if Tankards are happy with you snapping pics at critical stages of the process and posting up here and in the XJ section. This, IMHO, is a very typical "to do" that faces all of us as these cars are ageing - even the best and most carefully coddled! You could quickly muster a great resource for other members.

Best wishes,

Ken

Old 05-04-2017, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

Forgot to say that the car went in on Monday. We have reached close of business Thursday without "the phone call". So fingers crossed it hasnt turned into a nightmare once the glass came out. Or, maybe they havent started :-)

Old 05-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Received an update from the panel shop. Rust damage was superficial around the window openings so it looks like getting in early has paid off. The worst areas , that required more intensive work and some metal added, were around previous cover up repairs to the windscreen bottom corners.

Headlining redone early next week and back at the end of that week hopefully.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

So, its been an interesting couple of weeks. Got the car back looking very slick and shiny. Drove it home and both the drive and a closer inspection at home revealed things were not so good.

Had 4 problems, 3 totally avoidable with a bit of checking (windscreen leak, poor rubber trim fit on rear glass, windscreen washers mounted in reverse squirting forward) and one quality issue with the paint finish around the fuel caps. They agreed the later shouldnt have left the shop, took the car back and fixed issues.

Mixed feelings about this place. One one hand the problems I had need never have happened. On the other hand the dealt with the issues promptly and without ducking and weaving. The quality of the paint finished to my untrained eye looks excellent, I just hope the underlying rust work is competent.

The guy that did the headlining did a great job, I think it must have been annoying me more than I thought :-) He is moving up to Glenrowan which is OK for me but out of reach for Melbourne punters looking for upholstery work. I'll be getting him to do some front carpets and firewall trim for my little Morris Major once he is up and running again.

At the moment the car is about as "finished" as it ever will be in my ownership, until my motor or transmission advises otherwise.

Last edited by yarpos; 06-04-2017 at 11:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by yarpos:
jagent (06-05-2017), MikeyB10 (06-12-2017)