Sharing good experience - Carb and FI Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Thumbs up Sharing good experience - Carb and FI Service

Hi

Just a note to share a good service experience with The Carby Shop in Sherwood Court, Wantirna. Had him check and install a replacement carby (glad I did as it was set up very lean which I probably wouldnt have picked up). During a discussion as the work finished I expressed concern about the fuel delivery set up (V8 conversion) and the potential for high pressure fuel and low quality plumbing. A low pressure issue was identified rather than what I imagined. A fair bit of unnecessary plumbing was identified and removed, together with a fuel filter that probably hasnt seen daylight since the 80s (I had done the one in the engine bay earlier but thought that was it).

Nigel the owner is a good guy to work with and is happy to share knowldege and make suggestions. They do both FI and carby work, and he has a dyno....noice.

Another honourable mention goes to Hume Performance in Sydney who provided a refurbed QJet which was 95% perfect on the basis of a couple of photos and my description. Couldnt find anyone who made sense in Melbourne.

Cheers

Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Its great to see you have found someone decent as i will agree it is very hard to find people that are truly knowledgeable with carbies, or even old fuel injection systems that you can't just plug a computer into and get every possible bit of information thrown at you. The old su / zenith carbs on English cars are a step even further into the dark and gloomy as they are just about unheard of by conventional mechanics and you really need someone knowledgeable to get them running at their peak. It is easy enough to make the car run ok but you need someone who can balance them properly to get the best economy and performance out of them, which it sounds like you have.

Its good to know of someone who can do this, although I work on carbied jags often at work ill admit I could learn allot more about them, I normally manage to get them running ok but never perfect.With fuel injection, on the other hand, I am the self proclaimed master, especially with jags

Regards,
Jay

Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Default recommendation thread

I wonder if it would be worth having a recommendation thread? or has this been done already? might be worthwhile to share this info and keep the good guys in business. Maybe gets too close to advertising ...

Old 07-30-2014, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Jay and Steve ... Greetings from up north ...

As an outsider looking in, I disagree that recommendations should be avoided. If you hold an interest in the recommended business, you should avoid proclaiming or endorsing that business ... this would fail the forum test for self-advertising, which is banned on Jaguar Forums, unless of course you are advertising in the "classified" section provided for this purpose. However, if you fail to declare that interest, you would be held to be engaging in unethical and dishonest dealing with other members.

But, in the general sense you are proposing, I believe you not only can ... but should ... post as you propose. This has numerous precedents elsewhere overseas, and is a genuine and much-needed service to other members.

So ... observe the proprieties set out above ... and then go for it. Businesses that support us with great service, deserve to be rewarded.

On a side issue, but to the heart of your discussion of Tuning SUs, look out the thread put together by Clarke [o1xjr] some months ago after lots of input from Grant Francis, myself and others. Complete with pics, it is a good reference.

Best wishes fellas,
Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 07-30-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree that it is defiantly a good idea to start a recommendations / review thread. As others say it is very helpful to have a good idea of a mechanics capabilities before trusting them with your car. In the rare instance I hand my keys over I make sure I do plenty of research first and it is often frustrating if you cant find any good info.

Although I work at one of the Melbourne Jag servicing / parts workshops I haven't told anyone on the forum who and I wouldn't advertise the business publicly because obviously I will have a biased opinion and will probably end up working on the cars myself anyway. I feel the same way about giving advice about other workshops as I have my own opinions on them as well being an insider, all I would say is generally the more you pay the better the quality of the job, which is understandable and probably expected.

Anyway, as has been said as long as it is customers talking about their experiences and not the workshops themselves promoting their buisness I cant see an problem, however, I am not clear about the forum rules about this.

Regards,
Jay

Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member

Seems to be an acceptable idea , so I will start a thread with a more generic title. Hope fully we can gather a collection of places that provide good and knowledgeable service.