Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Can you polish the windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts
Default Can you polish the windshield?

My windshield has some fine scratches, like what you get when you wipe it with dust/dirt on the surface. Also, my side mirrors have water spots that DO NOT come off with windex or other cleaner. I even tried a little paint cleaner product w/o success. I want to buff these too!

Surely you can just 'polish' with the porter cable DA buffer, right? And what product would be best to get the best results and no unfortunate consequeneces?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Those are good links jag, but I will admit my scratches are very very fine, and I think the kits on there are for the deep kind. I am thinking of using my newly arrived DA and the plethera of pad kit that I ordered with it to try it first...but what do I use first?

The choices on my shelf include -
(1) Meguiars Ultra Cut Compound M105
(2) Meguiars Ultra Finishing Polish M205
(3) Scratch X
(4) Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound (the red tub)

Old 08-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
My windshield has some fine scratches, like what you get when you wipe it with dust/dirt on the surface. Also, my side mirrors have water spots that DO NOT come off with windex or other cleaner. I even tried a little paint cleaner product w/o success. I want to buff these too!

Surely you can just 'polish' with the porter cable DA buffer, right? And what product would be best to get the best results and no unfortunate consequeneces?
The ultra fine scratches that you see on your windshield are so common on today's vehicles. Those annoying water spots on your side views are also a common problem, anything to aggressive will ruin the mirrors and leave scratches. Here is what I suggest......

For the Windshield may I suggest the following...

1) Thoroughly Clean
2) Clay entire glass surface
3) Mothers Chrome/Glass Polish applied with an applicator pad.

For the side views, follow the above directions, just skip step # 2

Mother's product dries white and chalky so use sparingly for clean results.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Veteran member

thanks Dave, will give it a shot.

Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I thought this might help someone.

GM recommends fine scratches can be removed by using their 'windshield polish'. It comes in a box, like a tea tin, with a pull string to open. Once inside you'll find a bag of Bon-Ami. Save yourself some money and pick it up at the grocery store. Add a little water to make a paste/slurry and rub away! (use of power tools is at your discretion)

What I personally use for water spots is CLR (Calcium-Lime-Rust.) While wearing rubber/latex/nitrile gloves, dampen a rag with CLR and wipe away the spots. Be careful to not allow it to touch anything else. Rinse with water when finished. A heckuva lot easier than polishing!

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (03-14-2011)
Old 03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Beav
... GM recommends fine scratches can be removed by using their 'windshield polish'. It comes in a box, like a tea tin, with a pull string to open. Once inside you'll find a bag of Bon-Ami. Save yourself some money and pick it up at the grocery store. Add a little water to make a paste/slurry and rub away! (use of power tools is at your discretion)...
Interesting, I should have thought of this, I use Bon-Ami on our glass top cooking range. I'm going to give it a try, it should work great.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

For water spots I use Turtle Wax "ICE" spray. Takes away water spots off effortlessly, just spray and wipe off with microfiber cloth. Ohh the ICE spray works excellent as a lube for claying.

TC.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Bon-Ami, sounds like it would be worth a try. Now I just need to find out what they call it here in France!!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Translator
Bon-Ami, sounds like it would be worth a try. Now I just need to find out what they call it here in France!!
Bon Ami
There are two kinds of Bon Ami - the cleanser and the powder. The cleanser is in the round can that you can buy in the supermarket, it contains feldspar, calcite, and soap. It will scratch glass. The powder contains feldspar and soap, was used to clean the windows in Skylab, and is available in either a rectangular can or as a c leaning cake. You can't get it at the market but have to go to the hardware store or online at http://www.agelong.com.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy

Glass Polishing

Modern automotive windshields hardness is 6/10 on the Moh’s harness scale and contains a thin plastic sheet between two layers of glass (interior and exterior). Glass is very hard and t he polishing process for the correction of scratches requires pressure, which combined with kinetic energy produces heat, if the glass surface becomes too hot the plastic sheeting can warp leading to distortion. When polishing glass use capacious amounts of water and periodically check the surface temperature

Once the glass surface has been washed and cleaned (detailers clay) any minor imperfections can be removed with an abrasive glass polish (Autoglym Car Class Polish or Zaino Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish) Removes "light" scratches, acid water spots, bird and bug stains, including alkaline mineral deposits, and then smoothes out etched glass
If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch 0.4 Mil (10µ) deep, you should consult a professional glass repair / replacement company.

Methodology
• Clean glass to remove dirt, dust or road grime from surfaces
• Use masking tape to protect windscreen rubber sealing
• Apply clay (Magic Clay®) and lubricant solution (WooliteTM / Water 5:1) onto the glass surface (Do not apply to plastic as dulling may occur.)
• Apply a quarter (coin) size amount of Autoglym Car Glass Polish™ or Iz einzette Glas Polish to a damp cutting / polishing foam pad (LC Orange or White) attached to a Porter Cable rotary polisher set at speed 1200 rpm.
• Heat caused by abrasive polishing can soften and damage glass; foam pad and product used must minimize heat build-up. Since glass is a poor heat conductor any friction heat built up from polishing must be kept to a minimum by using sufficient product and regular misting of both the polishing pad and glass surface with water.
• Apply to half of the windshield, polishing first in an up and down motion then in a left-to-right motion and then repeat on the other side, proceed to other glass surfaces.
• Go over the glass several times in each direction, glass will polish virtually residue free.
• Wipe off any residue, and polish with a clean dry 100% cotton Micro fibre cloth.
• Inspect glass for clarity and smoothness. Repeat if necessary.
• If the glass has PPG Industries Optech clear coating a more aggressive polish may be required

Alternative products / methods:
a) Apply Zaino Z-12 with a damp cotton cloth to cool glass, apply to small sections at a time and allow to completely dry, buffing with a clean dry cotton towel. If there is any smearing or residue left just use Stoner’s Invisible Glass or any good quality glass cleaner to remove excess residue.
b) Glass Technology Inc - http://www.gtglass.com/scratchremoval.htm

Alternative pads- these 4-inch ‘Metal Polishing Pads’ are made from 600 grit nylon (Scotchbrite®) and are designed for hard / rough surfaces like aluminium diamond plate, pitted aluminium, chrome, and glass. TOL

{Knowledge Management} - Treating experience as a shared asset. If this article was informative and you learned something new, or have any questions feel free to comment. We would love if you shared this article with your friends on Facebook and Twitter or linked to it from your website or blog- http://togwt1980.blogspot.com. Thanks

Also see my Blog for constantly updated detailing info http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/atom.xml

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-09-2012)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Or, go for cerium oxide as used by glass shops, telescope makers and camera repair shops.

Available from amazon or body shop supply houses.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

H2Oboy

I know this is an older thread from last year but did you ever try any of these suggestions/products and what were the results?