Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Car Washes

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Car Washes

So... How often do you guys wash your cars? What products do you use?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey Jaggyx, I am moving your thread off to the Deatiling Forums so that you can get more reponses . Namely, Dave and other will chime in there

Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

jaggy, my car gets weekly baths, unless it rains over the weekend. My general rule of thumb is that it gets washed on Fri/Sat or Sun if I can get at least 3 days of good weather. (it figures I would apply an equation to this simple task)

As for products, I tried many detergents, but keep coming back to the gold class Meguiars, and use their paint cleaner and polish for the paint. Mothers has some good products too for us 'midlevel' car detailers.

For glass, I have again tried several different cleaners, and prefer 3Ms can of automotive glass cleaner. The others don't come off as 'clean' or streaks more often then the 3M.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I wash my car once a week, like h20boy on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I am currently using Meguiar's NXT fluorescent yellow wash. I'll probably switch (to another Meguiar's) when it runs out.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Same, usually on sunday. I also use the Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax (yellow)

Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

^... 'great minds' and all that jazz

Old 07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have underground parking at work and the car is in the garage when at home. Being in sunny SoCal also helps. Consequently, with all the cars I have owned it is quite possible to go weeks or even months at a time without really needing a thorough washing. For years I have used the California Duster to do quick touch-ups to keep dust down and do a wash every so often. I have been pretty happy with the Mr. Clean wash system but the liquid soap has been discontinued. So I keep trying a variety of different washing products (Maguires, Liquid Gold, etc.)

I also try various products after washing for shine and protection including Maguires, Zymol, spray detailers, etc.

I am sure I would not necessarily win any concours but that is not my goal as the car is a daily driver. Nevertheless, I have always gotten compliments from the way I have kept my cars from friends and acquaintances.

Doug

Last edited by SeismicGuy; 07-25-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Usually, my car is in need of a wash twice a week, but I really don't have the time. The car is always outside, and I live on a dirt road. I would put in an air tight chamber, or at least a garage if I had one at my disposal.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gold Class Meguiars is what I use.. Along with NXT wax or Mothers wax. In between a full wax I use the Turtle wax ice spray wax. Works great and the car shines likes its brand new.

Interior I use Armor All leather wipes for the seats. Orange wipes for the dash and panels.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, Meguiars seems to be the product of choice. How often do you guys wax?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

I wax whenever I have the time, but usually once a month, and I use a spray wax between waxes.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Great question............

My customers vehicles and my own receive the following weekly treatment.

*Thorough pre rinse with R/O water
*Complete soaping with "Stoner" HP-1 using grout sponges
*Thorough after rinse with R/O water
*Complete drying using S.M. Arnold Water Sprite
*Thorough air blowing of all cracks and crevices
*Mist and wipe using "Diamond Professionals" Blue Mist for added protection and gloss enhancement.
*Treatment of all tires and rubber or black trim with "Stoners" Trim Shine
*Polishing of all glass w/Meguiar's Window Cleaner

Another option is going with a rinseless system......lately I have introduced this to my line up of services, which also is green or eco friendly and saves on water. If your vehicle does not have a tremendous amount of dirt, this system works great. This is what I made myself and have labeled it the "Innovative 12V Portable Detail Blaster". It plugs into my 12V recepticle and has a 50ft hose, inline filter, brass wand and tip for an atomized application. It has an on/off toggle switch, the system works on demand and delivers from a fine mist to a stream.

With a 5 gal container of water and an ONR premix (3 oz of ONR and 1 oz of Blue Mist) I am able to wash between 8-10 vehicles and leave them sparkling.

Working on a cool surface in the shade is ideal, but it will work in direct sunlight as well. I mist either a panel at a time or half the vehicle at once, to include the glass. Using 2 very plush MF towel folded in fourth's, spray one of the towels lightly with ONR solution on both sides. Then using this towel, wipe a panel at a time flipping the towel to a cleaner surface constantly. Then using the dry MF wipe the panel for residual to flash dry and you are left with a sparkling and clean surface. After every panel I wring out the wet MF towel for best results.

To top it off I will go around the vehicle quickly with just the Blue Mist for total gloss and depth enhancement.

Here is a flip video I made using the product as well....

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000318346084

Attached Thumbnails Car Washes-dsc_0976-1.jpg   Car Washes-dsc_0975-1.jpg   Car Washes-dsc_0979.jpg   Car Washes-dsc_0980.jpg   Car Washes-dsc_0981.jpg  

Last edited by Innovative Detailing; 07-26-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

thanks for the input dave, so you use that waterless car wash? I've always wanted to but was always scared of scratching the paint or inducing fine scratches. Chances are I'll give it a shot though.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
thanks for the input dave, so you use that waterless car wash? I've always wanted to but was always scared of scratching the paint or inducing fine scratches. Chances are I'll give it a shot though.
Not a problem.....for a long time I was very skeptical of this type of product, but it does have it's place in my book. Of course if the vehicle is extremely dirty you would resort to the conventional method of washing your vehicle.

Once you see the results yourself, your will overcome that fear.......

Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

alright thanks for the input dave

Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, Meguiars seems to be the product of choice. How often do you guys wax?
Every time I wash the car it gets waxed. Either a liquid wax like mothers or spray wax like TW Ice. I think its the reason the silver paints still shines like its new and the car is 6+ yrs old.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member

So I got a minor dent from my door removed from a Paintless dent removal guy about a week ago. He complimented me on how great the paint looked and he asked me how often I wash it. I said once a week and then we started talking and he told me that most of his customers do not wax nearly as much as they should. He insisted that I give it a good wax once a month.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mystique from http://stores.shopprimacarcare.com/StoreFront.bok. They have a great line of products. I have no affiliation with them. I found out about them from one of my Mini Cooper forums and have not bought anything else since.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

hmm, I've never heard of them but thanks for the input

Old 08-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same, usually on sunday. I also use the Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax (yellow)
Hey JaggyX

I saw that at the shops a few weeks back. What do u think of it?

Will

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car Washes