Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Drying your car

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Drying your car

With my current chamois leather coming to near the end of its life.

A friend of mine was telling me not to get a new one as the micro fibre cloths and towel like clothes you put on cars to absorb the water have replaced them.

Before making any prurchases I would love to here what you guys use, and what use products and makes...

I look forward to your replies

Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

I was on the micro-fibre wagon....until I discovered a squeegee...now MF only for the cracks, crevices, and borders. Dunno why I never thought of it before...have used squeegee's on floor and in the shower for years....then one day in Wally-world....saw "squeegee for your car" and it all made sense...$12-$15 I think...coupla different sizes available. I went with the smaller.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

With a squeegee, you have to be VERY careful. Just one piece of grit/sand on that blade and dragging it across the entire car will leave you with horrible scratches. Yes you can use rubbing alcohol to keep the blade clean, but are you going to do this after each wipe?

Plush microfiber towels are the way to go. Chamois is definitely a great way to cause scratching!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

It's not quite phase-change thermodynamics:
Flick it sharply
Dip it in clean-water bucket
Or
spray with hose
BTW the order is:
Wash
Rinse
Dry
So the grit is supposed to be gone. If not, a MF rag will make a handsome impersonation of sandpaper...whereas squeegee will leave a water trail to tip off the alert operator. On the other hand, "wet-sanding" with MF still looks shiny until you get it fully dried.

But if your fears are valid, it seems many would be wrecking their finishes with clay.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey everyone, each to their own I say, as for me?

A few years ago now I used to use my trusty chamois leather, a really good quality one and it worked well.

I have also used the blade or "squeegee" and if you're careful, it may not damage your paintwork too severely, although I noticed mine had dulled down considerably and ended getting her detailed.

For the last few years, for me its been a really good quality wash mitt to wash the car, followed by good quality and clean micro fibre towels.
Heck you can even get them colour coded and use yellow for the bodywork, red for the door shuts and blue for the wheels and engine bay

After every use I wash them thoroughly in the sink with some washing up liquid and rinse thoroughly before drying for the next time.

MF for me all the way

The following users liked this post:
jnetcrutchfield (02-13-2013)
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

i use my leaf blower after washing...if you have a good wax on your vehicle the water just rolls off. this limits the use of a mf towel and putting scratches on the finish.

The following 2 users liked this post by MDJag:
newbie1 (06-04-2011), porkenstein (06-28-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Good day all, thought I would pitch in my 2 cents on this one....

As a professional detail service provider, I have definitely tried and tested over the years my fare share of different washing and drying products and systems. Here is my take.......

For washing I only use grout sponges, the type you purchase at Home Depot, mitts for me are a big "NO"

I have 2 dedicated sponges for the body and 1 for the lowers and the wheel well arch edges...

I have performed side by side tests and it has proven conclusive that mitts induce scratches. The tiny fingers of fibers hold dirt and debris which is then spread around the vehicle inducing scratches. On the other hand grout sponges are extremely porous, therefore allowing the debris particles to be blown out when dipped it the bucket and squeezed out.

The only time I do use a mitt is for cleaning up inside the wheel wells.

For drying I have used and will only use the SM Arnold Water Sprite....Once you try it, you will never use anything else. They hold up and last for the count and I think it is the best simulated chamois around.

I stay away from genuine leather chamois, they have a tendency to strip off wax for some reason.

MF towels, whether waffle weave or other styles, just do not hold up over time. The stitching eventually unravels and the towels snag on moldings and trim.

Squeegies........, I definitely prefer to keep the squeegie in the shower for the large glass shower door..Just my preference.

Whatever your wash media, keep it clean, and if it drops....toss it out!

Again, this is just works for us.....hope it can help all of you!

Have a great Memoral Weekend!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  19.3 KB

Ahhh, the main detailing man drops by at last to offer his words of wisdom

Interesting take on the wash mitts Dave, most every other detailer I know uses and recommends them?
Each to their own I guess....

SM Arnold water sprite?? Please tell us more....

I agree on the genuine chamois Dave.....The last and best chamois I ever owned was a fairly expensive synthetic chamois as I found the genuine ones just really didn't work for me!

Whatever your wash media, keep it clean, and if it drops....toss it out!.....Totally agree 100%

I guess a leafblower ( touchless ) type system is the pinnacle and will do the least harm though?

Thanks so much for your professional insight as always Dave

Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

This is my preferred method of drying a vehicle paint surface; on the final rinse of the washing process remove the nozzle from the hose, reduce the water pressure and hold the end of the hose parallel to the paint and reasonably close as this is will prevent splashing as you flood the surface; this drying method helps to eliminate water-spotting. Use a forced air blower to remove water residue and then follow up with a waffle weave micro fibre towel to thoroughly dry the paint surface

I have tried many products over the years for drying but I finally found what really works the best, a micro fibre waffle weave drying towel. When they are wet they’re very soft and super absorbent, and glide easily over the surface, the ‘pockets’ in the weave ‘hold’ any dirt or surface debris unlike some other super absorbing products that trap dirt between the towel and paint surface with the potential to cause so serious scratches (never use it when it’s dry and stiff – it can potentially scratch) Wet –Wring- Wipe

California Jelly Blade® - with new V-Blade design, made from medical- grade silicone, it has exceptional contouring and flexibility to easily remove standing water in less time than a towel or chamois, without streaking. I would only recommend their use for drying glass surfaces but not paint as a stray piece of grit will wreck havoc on the paint finish

Features include easy to use ergonomic handle, special “extender” end for hard-to reach areas and “detailer” blade for side view mirrors and fog lights. Dry the windows and mirrors first. A series of careful firm strokes will remove any remaining water

Focusing on one person’s methodologies or the products or tools they use will seriously limit your detailing experience and knowledge. Always keep an open mind and I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.

Be pro-active and research others opinions and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon the factual information gained from research. Don’t regard any source as something you can entirely rely on

Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

If you DO use a microfiber towel to dry, I've found that spritzing with a little QD spray before drying can help the car dry free of water spots!

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also use the cheap garden blower. you dont half get some funny looks though

Last edited by gregstar; 05-29-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 PM

Air blower all the way. Microfiber takes longer.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I ONLY use an electric leaf blower... The less that touched your paint, the better!

Old 05-31-2011, 03:33 AM

Thanks for your replies guys its amazing some of you use the leaf blower but as you arent touching the car no doubt its the best way.....

Jaggyx- your car looks great in the footer picture :O)

Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member

I guess my leaf blower isn't powerful enough because it always leaves some annoying droplets!

Then again, I no longer wash my car the traditional two bucket way--I use ONR!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

ONR?
Do tell. ...

Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 AM

OK
you guys have discussed washing and drying
waht is yoiu take on the best polish and cloths i have always found that when i polish a car it leaves all the swirl marks black is the worst

Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a leaf blower also. Just bought on a few days ago. Zaino website had a recomendation to do just that. They recommended a specific one, the Toro 210 mph leaf blower. It definitely does the job. I do it in the garage after washing as people do look at you like your crazy.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
ONR?
Do tell. ...
Optimum No Rinse (ONR) is a rinseless wash that only requires a couple gallons of water.

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (06-28-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 AM

Has anyone heard of the way how to wash your car dry (no joking)

I read about it on an E-Type site a while back

Has anyone used the method ?

Quick Reply: Drying your car