Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Leather seats and the top down

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather seats and the top down

I have a 2001 XKR with 14K miles--I use leather conditional every couple of weeks--is it bad to leave the top down during the day--will the leather be adversely affected by the sun?? Not sure what else I can do to protect the seats. I even use Armour All to block out UVA and UVB rays.

Gary

Old 07-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Leather seats and the top down

it is bad to leave the seats out in the sun, u shud put the top up when ure not using the car, or get some kind of cover that you can just throw over when parked. Even with the products, the sun will still get to ure seats, just not as much if u dont use the products

Old 07-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea my dad bought a 2000 xk8 on ebay, and it was a leased car before we got it. We're pretty sure the previous owner left the car in the sun alot with the top down, especially since it was from georgia...basically now the seats are all cracked and look pretty bad. They need to be replaced within two years.

Keep conditioning you leather, always put the top up, and maybe get a sun shade for the front window, and you will be ok. You could tint you side windows too, but that may be illegal in ur state

Old 07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  7.4 KB

Simple Gary.......check out a selection of women that have went topless for years in the sun against those that haven't ( tell them you're performing a survey for Jaguar)and see the differences in the suppleness of the skin / leather.
Could be an interesting excerise too as well as educational....lol

Jim

Old 07-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Speaking of replacing seats, I noticed that a few cracks have appeared in my driver's seat where one plops your butt to slide in. I have cream colored leather seats which are apparently rare and hard to match in color. At least this is what I was told when I had a boot made.

If I have to replace the seat, where do I go for an exact color match? Having the boot slightly darker is no big deal but having two non-matching seats is.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go to a local apholstry shop, find someplace good.
Usually any place that does one kind of upholtry will do everything. Like we're probably gunna go to the place that did the seats for are boats. Just go to the shops and talk to the, tell them what you want it to look like, and they'll do it.
It's kind of something you have to figure out on your own, cuz I don't think you can like order seats on the internet and have them installed, but maybe you can, I wouldn't really trust that. Plus you could probably add cool stuff at a upholstry place, like get a jaguar emblem embroidered into the seat.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jack Rabbit

Speaking of replacing seats, I noticed that a few cracks have appeared in my driver's seat where one plops your butt to slide in. I have cream colored leather seats which are apparently rare and hard to match in color. At least this is what I was told when I had a boot made.

If I have to replace the seat, where do I go for an exact color match? Having the boot slightly darker is no big deal but having two non-matching seats is.
A shop I used ordered in a piece of Jaguar oatmeal color leather to repair my seat. He had swatches of the leather to compare color.

Doug