Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

pic of clay bar results

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default pic of clay bar results

this is the difference using a clay bar and black wax can make, each panel took about 15 mins, including the wax.
This pic shows 2 panels completed.
An electric buffer was not used, just a rag and elbow grease

Attached Thumbnails pic of clay bar results-img_0181.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of pics of the car finished

Attached Thumbnails pic of clay bar results-img_0186.jpg   pic of clay bar results-img_0187.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
this is the difference using a clay bar and black wax can make, each panel took about 15 mins, including the wax.
This pic shows 2 panels completed.
An electric buffer was not used, just a rag and elbow grease
Not sure I understand (I'm a lil slow) - what do you mean "Clay Bar" - I don't think i've heard of that - and I haven't seen "Black Wax" either...

The front door panel in the pix looks alot better than the rear door panel - is one done with claybar and the other with blackwax? or is the front done with claybar+blackwax and the rear door hasn't been done at all? or what are we looking at here?

She sure looks purty whatever you did.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks really good! Clay bar basically removes all the containments in the paint a thorough wash can't remove, you can get a kit at any auto store.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Good, I am moving this over Detailing Forums so that many other owners will benefit from your review
Thanks

Old 07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Great Job Iownme!

Lookin' good

Old 07-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

in the 1st pic the driver door and rear quarter were clay barred and waxed, the rear door and front quarter was untouched.
The black wax i used is designed for black cars, it is sold as a 3 part kit in most auto stores. It is called "the black box"....i only used the wax part of the kit

Old 07-26-2011, 04:32 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Detailer's Clay CliffNotes™ Version

After washing and drying your vehicle place a plastic sandwich bag over your hand or fingers, gently pass over the surface. Does the surface feel silky smooth or rough and gritty? If you felt roughness and/or grit, your surface is contaminated

If the paint surface has a rough ‘textured’ feel this roughness is most probably due to surface bonded contaminants, these contaminants come about due to exposure to industrial fallout, paint overspray, brake dust, etc. While they usually accumulate slowly over time, it is possible for a single event to cause them. Detailer’s clay and a surface lubricant will generally remove them

Surface contamination comes from a variety of sources, and can be categorized based the typical size of the particles and what they are made of, they are either organic such as bird excrement, honeydew and bug carcasses or inorganic such as brake dust, bituminous asphalt, etc . Brake dust is sharp fractured metallic particulates that embed themselves in the paint along with brake pad adhesive, which is sticky and adheres to the surface

Application – aquaplaning, also known as hydroplaning, is the condition where a layer of water builds up between the surface and the clay, this thin film of lubrication provides a safety barrier that enables the clay to hydroplane across the surface.

In other words, by applying just enough pressure to ensure contact with the surface the clay will aquaplaning on a micro-thin film of lubrication between it and the paint surface removing the (protruding) surface contaminants by abrasion and encapsulation by the malleable clay. Without lubrication the clay will abrade the paint surface much like a dry-sanding block and will produce significant fine surface marring.

Form a 2 or 3-inch disc approximately 1/8- inch thick, the disc should be slightly larger than your fingers and thick enough that friction will not wear a hole through the clay. Your fingers are applying the necessary pressure, so a disc that is too large is serving no useful purpose; a disc slightly wider than your fingers allows the clay to transverse surface contours

The following users liked this post:
Olsic03STR (03-07-2012)