Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

Wax/Polish Jag & Clean/Protect Asteroid alloys

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wax/Polish Jag & Clean/Protect Asteroid alloys

I have my new to me 03 XJR and the paint and the alloys appear to be in great condition. I would like to wax/polish it - and I'm looking for opinions. I don't necessarily want a concours shine, this is a daily driver, I just want something that will have a decent shine and will last a while. I'm thinking Mother's California Gold or or Meguiar's Gold Class. The car is Quartz. Any suggestions?

Also the Asteriod alloys look good, I just want to shine and protect them. I have Mother's Chrome Polish and also Simichrome. Is either suitable? Which would be better?

Any opinions gratefully appreciated - Thanks!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Fairlane.....why not check out detailing world for answers to all your questions and more?
You'll find it a great source of info

You might want to consider a professional detailer doing the work imitially for around $500 I'd guess there or thereabouts to really get the paintwork into tip top condition.....washing using the two bucket method, clay barring, then swirl removal if necessary and a polish / wax of your choice to finish. They'll dothe wheels for you as well and then its just routine maintenance from there on in.

sorry I can't be more help

good luck

Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 AM

Detailing World is full of information - Thank you!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Meguires Gold Class and I just bought the Mothers crome polish myself for the wheels. Let me know how that works out for you. I was struggling to get the wheels clean enough for my taste so I'm anxious to see if Mothers touch helps.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a daily driver you may want to consider a synthetic sealant product like Tropi-Care, Zaino, Meguiars NXT, etc. etc. Is the car garaged, or does it see the elements? Also if you live in a very hot climate (Arizona, Florida, etc.) or a region that sees lots of weather (the Northeast), the sealant will provide better protection than a traditional wax.
If the wheels don't need any abrasive polishing, or when that step is complete, you can usually seal them with the same product that you use for the paint. The important thing is that they have some type of protection, as brake dust and road grime will degrade the finish quickly if they're not cared for.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:54 AM

I have already done the wheels and the chrome exhaust tips with Simichrome, and it seemed to do a very good job. And I'm thinking of Meguiar's Gold Class or NXT for the polish. I'm in Eastern Canada so the heat is not usually a problem. I'll let you know which I choose and how I make out Thanks!

Old 07-30-2009, 12:13 PM

I'm not too sure that Simichrome has any protective properties, so you might want to follow up with a good sealant on the chrome pieces. Believe me, it doesn't take long for an unprotected piece of metal to get nasty when exposed to the elements.
Also keep in mind that Meg's Gold Class is a traditional carnauba wax, whereas NXT and NXT 2.0 are synthetic blends.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:51 AM

Thanks for the hint on Simichrome, I'll do the wheels again when I do the car. As for Gold Class or NXT, that the quandry I'm working through, which is likely to give the best result and last the longest.

Cheers

Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 AM

I have used NXT 2.0 and found it was very easy to apply and remove, left a nice look, and seems to have at least several weeks of durability under normal conditions. Gold Class, as a carnauba wax, isn't going to be able to match the durability of a synthetic product like NXT.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I have used Autoglym Alloy Protector, a spray on product that creates a very smooth finish that so far the dirt just runs off in the rain. It has only been on for a couple of weeks, so I dont know how its durability will be.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hey i recommend washing the car thoroughly with DAWN dishwash soap to remove any previous waxes and polish's.

then a nice thorough claybar treatment.

i dont recommend polishing by hand, you wont be able to breakdown the polish and will wind up scratching the paint more removing it.

seal with a quality synthetic seal, then apply a nice coat of NXT 2.0 liquid or paste wax.

i did this process 2days ago and believe me, i couldnt even rest the NXT bottle on the trunk. it kept sliding off

added alot of depth to the paint, which is QUARTZ as yours is also.

-Vic

also as a sidenote, i recommend getting a quality APC (all purpose cleaner) and spraying down your fender linings, suspension and brake componants. its real simple, spray > wait 2 minutes > and rinse off. repeat as many times as neccesary.

Last edited by StrateLoss; 08-16-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 AM

I appreciate all the tips - Thanks!