Detailing / Car care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out. Pics are a must.

When To Replace A Clay Bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default When To Replace A Clay Bar?

Do you usually toss them after one use? If not, what do you do?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I've reuse about 3 times and then toss. I bought the Mequiars kit and think it says that bars are good for 4 uses.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Huntervision
Do you usually toss them after one use? If not, what do you do?
I would say it depends.

For instance if you drop one on the floor (very easy to do) throw it away immediately.

Otherwise it depends on how dirty your car is. Once you get to the point where re-kneading does not yield a clean surface, throw it away. Store a used bar in a plastic baggie, wetting it with clay lube first to keep it moist.

I have started using a Nanoskin Autoscrub Sponge instead and find it works very well and will last a long time. Also if dropped on the floor you can just rinse it off and carry on using it.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 09-19-2013, 04:45 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Detailer’s clay

Does my paint surface require the application of detailer’s clay?

Is the paint surface showing one or more of the following; coloured or yellow stains, water marks (spots) black metallic coloured flecks, a rough texture, etch marks (concave depression) oxidation, bug or bird excrement.

Here’s a simple test that will indicate whether or not you need to clay. After washing and drying your vehicle place a plastic sandwich bag over your hand or fingers, gently pass over the surface.

How often can detailer’s clay be re-used?

Inspect the clay surface often and fold (knead) clay to present a clean surface to the paint to avoid scratching; when the clay surface becomes really soiled (it becomes more difficult to find a clean surface by kneading, relegate and use fresh clay. Do not over use a clay bar.

Take a 100 gm bar and divide it into 6-8 pieces (this allows you to drop a piece and not have to throw away the whole bar) A mid size car usually takes around 20-30 grams
Once the clay becomes too soiled for paintwork, relegate to glass surfaces, and from there to wheel surfaces and finally discard.

An extract from a TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Article - “What will decontamination remove that washing / clay will not? “ - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...g-will-not.htm

Detailing clay replacement - “Nanoskin Surface Prep Towel” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...rep-towel.html

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki Articles, these informational resources contain everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive detailing and are an invaluable addition to your detailing knowledge base -. http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html