E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

1967 E-Type Series 1 4.2L Engine Number Verification

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1967 E-Type Series 1 4.2L Engine Number Verification

Hello Jaguar Community.

My name is Steven, I've never owned any Jaguars before, and am brand new to this forum.

However, I am looking to add a Series 1 E-Type to my car collection. I have recently began the research process and hope I may get some help here on this website and the E-Type forum. I have one solid lead that will need a full restoration. I have not made the purchase yet and don't know where the restoration will take place.

This particular car has a data plate which I will not divulge the specific numbers or body details except to say it is a 1967 Series 1.

I have verified that the data plate numbers do jive with the stamped numbers on the car, the body, the gearbox, and the engine.

For the engine number, I found that the data plate number (7E 13xxx-x) is also on the cylinder head valley in front of cylinder #1. However, I have not found it on the block itself. The only numbers I am finding are the casting numbers on the right side where the block meets the cylinder head by cylinder #6.

It is my understanding that the engine number (7E 13xxx-x) should also be stamped on the right side of the block low and right above the oil filter housing. Cylinder heads can be swapped anytime or blocks can be replaced.

This is of concern and wanted to get some expert advice before making any purchase. On the engine block, where should the engine number be located? I would also like any advice to find the best restoration shop nationwide who knows these E-Types blindfolded.

Thanks.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinker
It is my understanding that the engine number (7E 13xxx-x) should also be stamped on the right side of the block low and right above the oil filter housing.
That is correct for the earlier models (actually it is on the horizontal "ledge" just inboard of the oil filter); for later models the number is on the left side of the bell housing flange. Not sure when that change was made. In addition, I vaguely remember a date ID somewhere on the block casting (perhaps "month/year" or "year") on my 1966 - but that was way back in the last century when I pulled the engine for a rebuild.

Last edited by SCMike; 07-13-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upon further review, it looks like the engine block was a replacement. The block does not have the original engine number stamped in the locations where they are supposed to be.

I did find that there are casting numbers above the starter at the top of the deck that say "x-x-72" and "CXXXXXX". There is an "M123" stamped directly in front of the engine temp sensor.

This tells me that this 4.2L block is from an early 70's Jaguar, but I do not know which one. The cylinder head is original as it does have the correct stamp where it is supposed to be.

How can I research where the block came from using the above casting numbers? Does the compression ratio come from the installed pistons or from the combustion chamber design?

If all other items on the car are perfectly restored to condition 1 concours standards, how much would this alternate engine block affect the value?

Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

How can I research where the block came from using the above casting numbers? Does the compression ratio come from the installed pistons or from the combustion chamber design?
Variations in the dome on the piston allow the comp. ratio to be varied. All engines have a hemispherical combustion chamber. Are you sure you can't find anything on the LH side of the bell housing flange ? Sometimes one has to rub a bit of chalk on to highlight the numbers.

Another tell-tale for late blocks is the conversion to long studs. If you find anything like "7L" on the block, it is a long stud engine, and these blocks can be troublesome !