E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

2+2 conversion to a convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2+2 conversion to a convertible.

Thanks for letting me in on your forum. I have the opportunity to purchase a heavily damaged Jaguar 2+2 body and rolling chassis. There is extensive damage to the roof and top of the rear wings. I have been flirting with the idea of converting this car to a standard convertible, and possibly converting it to a four seat convertible. Before the purist rip my head off, I'm getting this from a scrap yard that was ready to crush it for scrap metal. (Obliviously oblivious to what they had). So I am saving it rather than destroying it. I know the parts have some value, but I'm looking for a new project. I've chopped the roof's on a Morris Minor and an MGB GT so I'm not new to this concept. I realize the unibody structure on a Jag E type it much more complicated, which is why I'm looking for information. Earlier today I found such a project, I thought, on this site, but cannot find it now. It was a black Jag up in Canada that a fellow had converted. His conversion looked identical, in the pictures, to a stock Jag roadster. If anyone has info on that car please let me know. Thanks T

Old 12-26-2021, 10:33 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

Back around 1989 there was a company that was doing 2+2 conversions to roadsters. There was a kit that a diy could buy and do the conversion. I think it was Martin Robby or Hutson Motor Company that made the kits. One of the guys (Lonnie) in the Michigan JAG club was doing the conversion to a series 3 2+2. The kit contain all the sheet metal parts to do the conversion.

cheers, Bob

Old 12-27-2021, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

These are both British companies based in England.
Martin Robey
https://www.martinrobey.com/
Hutson Motor Company
https://www.hutsonmoco.co.uk/jaguar
Problem now is that such is the value of an E-type that conversions make the car worth far less, so demand is almost nil, thus not making the kit worthwhile to produce and selll

Old 12-27-2021, 06:06 AM
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Dagaffer,
Welcome to the community.
If it is any help, here is the thread you originally posted on https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/e...-120214/page2/.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted.
Bill.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_S
Back around 1989 there was a company that was doing 2+2 conversions to roadsters. There was a kit that a diy could buy and do the conversion. I think it was Martin Robby or Hutson Motor Company that made the kits. One of the guys (Lonnie) in the Michigan JAG club was doing the conversion to a series 3 2+2. The kit contain all the sheet metal parts to do the conversion.

cheers, Bob
I thought that I had posted this on a forum specifically for E Type Jag's. The car is an E-Type. Was the guy in Michigan doing E Type conversions? If so, I'd love to get any contact info you may have. I'm in Northern Illinois so he's pretty close. Thanks. Tom
BTW. I'm struggling with the format of this forum. Someone mentioned the diminished value of this type of conversion, as I stated in my original post. The car was saved from a crusher due to the damage and condition, so it had very little value to begin with. I'm building this for fun, not for resale value, so it's worth to me whatever I am willing to invest. Thanks again, I appreciate the input.

Old 12-27-2021, 12:31 PM

Dagaffer,
Just to be clear, all of the 2+2 to roadster conversions that I have ever seen or heard about, were all for a Series 3, 2+2. I have never seen one for a series 1 or 2. Is the car you salvaged a series 3?
Bill.

Old 12-27-2021, 08:30 PM

Bill: Being new to Jaguar scene, My apologies for being unfamiliar with the Marquee. The car is a 1971 Jaguar 2+2, my guess is it's a series 3. I have a book on Jaguar history on order, I promise to educate myself. Really appreciate the help. Thanks Tom

Old 12-28-2021, 06:51 AM

Tom,
No apologies necessary. The reason I asked if your car was a series 3, is because I have never heard of a conversion kit for a series 1 or 2 2+2 to roadster. (there may be, I just never heard of one). And so, before you embarked on a search for a kit that might not exist.......
So, if your 2+2 is a V12, you should be able to find the reference material to help you with your project. An E-Type station wagon would be a cool project too.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Bill.

Old 12-28-2021, 05:13 PM
Received 109 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dagaffer
Was the guy in Michigan doing E Type conversions? If so, I'd love to get any contact info you may have. I'm in Northern Illinois so he's pretty close. Thanks. Tom
Hi Tom,
At the time he lived in Michigan and then moved to WV I believe. He was a airline pilot so he could live almost anywhere and do his flights out of Detroit.

The conversion were for series 1, 2 & 3 2+2’s. That is why if you are looking at a roadster you must check the chassis number to be sure that it’s not a conversion.

Sorry it took a little while to respond, I’ve been traveling with the family.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all,
Bob_S

The following users liked this post:
enderle (12-29-2021)
Old 02-08-2022, 07:54 PM

The conversion kit is sold by Martin Robey. I have a quote around $12K for the panels. Not too bad considering the value of the cars. Since I paid very little for the car, I estimate I'll have about $50-$60K into it which is probably about all it'll be worth. Someone that wants a nice looking resto-mod. Clearly not an original E Type. someone sent me a picture of a car done by a guy in Canada. It was black with a red interior. Anyone know anything about this car? Contact person? Be nice not to be going into this blind. Thanks T

Old 02-08-2022, 07:55 PM

Martin Robey sells the kit. Thanks

Old 02-09-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 268 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Kudos to you !

First, my personal appreciation to you for saving an E from the scrap yard and crusher. I just saw an XJS yesterday, a sad affair to be sure... crashed in right front corner, crashed right side door panel. However, the guy started it, the rear lights and backup lights went on. As he drove away, I saw that the left front 'eared' knockoff had the 'ears' broken off. I'm not that familiar with this model.. but it looked like a potential disaster. He got away before I could stop him. So, thank you for using your skill and expertise to give this poor Jaguar a hopeful new lease on life. Keep us posted! and photos are wonderful to see!

Old 07-09-2022, 05:43 PM
Default Our classic ride is a 2+2 cut down.

Couldn’t be happier with our 2+2 cut down “roadster. No matching numbers but a Carmine red/black and tan example of why this car is one hell of a drive.

we do 3k miles per year in a car that leaks fuel, has soft suspension, is not fit for driving in the rain and do you know what - we couldn’t be happier.

the car is stunning to look at, it drives like it was just driven off the showroom floor, and aside from its myriad other faults, the car respects us for every mile we drive.

let us know if you need any pictures or measurements - we’ve got a three stage roof with pop studs to the rear above the boot lid. Very simple and elegant to match!!happy conversion

Old 07-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Yes, some photos of a good conversion would be nice to look at.
3rd degree/