E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

New E owner and Door lock question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts
Default New E owner and Door lock question.

Hi All

I am excited to be joining the E club. I have been around here for a while on the F type forum and previously with a Series 3 XJ6 Soveriegn

Pick up my Red 69 Series 2 2+2 on Saturday. It was delivered as an auto but has been converted to a manual at some stage in its past.

Quick question for you. I know the drivers door lock is not working and I will need to,sort that out quickly. Any tips on where to start getting door trim off and diagnosing or any threads on the subject?

Regards
Andrew

Old 07-15-2017, 01:02 AM

Maybe a photo of the kitties will prompt a reply

Old 07-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Andrew,

Since you have a 2+2 you might have a arm rest on the door.
look at the bottom of the arm rest and you will find two covers holes where the screws are hidden to remove the arm rest, have to do this first before you can remove the door panel.

Next look at the bottom of the door lie on your back looking up at bottom of the door
you will be able to see where the door panel is attached to the door frame along the bottom of the door. Take a standard flat bladed screw driver and inset it between the door frame and the door panel.

You will notice that you can insert the screwdriver easily in some places and it gets difficult in other places. ( fasteners are spaced out equally around the door at about 4 inches )

Find a place where it is easy to insert the screw driver and then move the screw driver laterally along the edge towards where you find more resistance.

What is happening is you are moving towards the clip which holds the panel to the door frame. when you are as close to the clip as you can get you will need to turn the screw driver sideways and the clip will release from the door frame.

You will need to do this several times, the first one is the most difficult as you remove one the others are a bit easy to see.

Please make sure you are very close to the clip, so you do not damage the door panel

Best Regards
Jeff

Old 07-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Thank you Jeff that's really helpful. Do they just press back in afterwards?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you might need to get some good glue as you will likely find that the vinyl will be coming loose

they are easy to replace if they break.

You will also now see the large hole where they fit so be careful as this is a weak spot in the door panel.

Best Regards
Jeff

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (07-16-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Get the factory service manual for your e-type as well as the parts catalog. Valuable information and helps a great deal is assembly and service detail. Beautiful car.

AnD3rew (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Here is my 68 OTS before the tear down begun---lots of surprises awaited me under that paint, but a lot of fun!!

AnD3rew (07-17-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

Holy crap, that's a lot of rust. Any time I'm feeling bad about my project I'm looking at this picture. Well beyond my skill set....

Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Greetings Andrew . . . and here is a pic of mine, a '64 Series1 4.2L, heading off after our near 40 year ownership to a mate who had pestered me for years . . . much of its life divided between Vic & Sydney. It was over 50 years old, still original, a regular driver that had never deteriorated nor been restored . . . but now, slowly emerging from ground up 2 year resto.

Suggest you post a hello in the NSW Regional forum . . . RC Jim and the crew will offer a grand, friendly welcome and future help may be closer than you realize as well as opportunity to rub shoulders with other enthusiasts nearby. There's not much about the E-Types, more so a variety of series 1&2s, that we have forgotten.

Best wishes,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails New E owner and Door lock question.-4.2l-s1-e-type.jpg  
Old 11-12-2017, 06:27 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

And, Is the key going in the lock?
Does it turn left AND right?
A lot of the time its two things
1. if its been resprayed and not cleaned for years the linkage inside the door is just gummed up.
But 2. if the key is jamming one way or the other, put wd 40 in the key opening and work it.
Now if the key is spinning round and round, take the door card out, remove the two screws holing the handle and the clip for the linkage
pull the handle out and if I remember theres a little screwor clip holding the lock in place.......
try the wd40 first ...
GOOD LUCK
GTJOEY1314