E type ( XK-E ) 1961 - 1975

ser 2 2 +2 XKE

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ser 2 2 +2 XKE

Hi

I am trying to remove the heater vent knobs from the rev counter area and the glove box but cannot see how they come off the end of the cable inner. They are the round chrome type.
Can anyone please tell me?

Best regards
Gerry

Old 03-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowser22+2
Hi

I am trying to remove the heater vent knobs from the rev counter area and the glove box but cannot see how they come off the end of the cable inner. They are the round chrome type.
Can anyone please tell me?

Best regards
Gerry
Hello Gerry,
Yes, with a fair amount of difficulty. The chrome knob is connected to a flexible cable inside a flexible outer case, similar to a speedo cable. The outer case has male threaded ends, with the end closest to the front of the car passing through a panel just aft of the firewall. This end is secured with a thin nut both sides of the panel through which it passes. The other threaded end, where the chrome knob is, threads through the Dash Panel from its vinyl covered face side, towards the front of the car. The Inner Cable and Outer Case have to be removed as an assembly as follows:

1. Remove Upper Padded Dash Panel

2. From memory, I think it makes the job a whole lot easier if you remove the Glove Box when removing the Knob assemble on the RH side of the car (LHD Cars), allowing you to put one arm in through the glove box opening. With RHD cars, removing the Tacho serves the same purpose.

3. Disconnect the inner cable from the control lever found at the forward side of the panel that the forward threaded end of the outer case passes through (Right Hand Knob Assembly).

4. Undo the thin nut from the forward threaded end of the outer case, on the forward side of the panel through which the threaded end passes (Right Hand Knob Assembly).

5. Turn the outer case in a Counter Clockwise direction, looking at the chrome knob whilst facing towards the front of the car, to unscrew the outer case from the dash panel (Right Hand Knob Assembly).

6. Once the threads of the end of the outer case that threads into the dash panel are no longer engaged with the dash panel, the Inner Cable, Outer Case assembly is withdrawn toward the rear of the car (Right Hand Knob Assembly).

7. Take precaution to stop nuts, washers and clips from falling into oblivion by placing cloth in the area forward of the panel through which the forward threaded end of the Outer Case passes, to catch such items (Right Hand Knob Assembly).

Be prepared to stop occasionally to shout at the cat or dog, if you have either, or bay at the Sun, or Moon, depending on the time of day; that somehow seems to help.

8. The Left Hand assembly is a lot easier, as it doesn't pass through the forward panel described above, but snakes around to attach to a louver box near the Left Hand "A" pillar.

Regards,

Brent

Last edited by bkeats; 03-22-2016 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yellowser22+2 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Hi
Thanks for the info, I know what you mean and thought those nuts were fixed so will try and undo tomorrow.
best regards
Gerry

Old 03-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowser22+2
Hi
Thanks for the info, I know what you mean and thought those nuts were fixed so will try and undo tomorrow.
best regards
Gerry
Hello Gerry,
The explanation given in my previous Post is for a Series 3 Coupe or OTS, both being built on the long wheelbase platform of a 2+2. I believe the process is the same for a Series 2 2+2, but is much, much simpler for Series 2, two Seater Coupes and S2 Open Two Seaters, both built on the short wheelbase platform. With these two models, the forward end of both sides Inner Cables and Outer Cases go directly to the Vent Louvers without passing through any other panel.

Regards,

Brent

Last edited by bkeats; 03-23-2016 at 01:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
yellowser22+2 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Hi Brent

On mine there is a bracket which holds the vent in place and the cable passes through it with a nut each side.
I removed the inner nut and was then able to remove the complete glove box and on the bench found out that the cabke is screwed into a boss so found a thin spanner to fit under the knob and screwed it out.
Your help is really appreciated.
Gerry