F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Front License Plate Mounting Bracket (non invasive)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Front License Plate Mounting Bracket (non invasive)

Hello
Anybody come up with a solution for mounting the front license plate without drilling holes into the bumper.

Please let me know.
Thanks

Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

On my FtypeR we epoxied a metal piece behind the front center grill bar and then added earth magnets to the back of the plate.. works great and I can pull it off whenever I need to. You would need about 6, 1 inch magnets in a row with another row of 3/4 inch magnets below for stability.

On my XE sport that I just received, the dealer was aware I wanted the same treatment, however when I went to pick it up, a plate had been bolted on with 5 screw holding the backing piece... needless to say I was not happy and told them they would have to remove the plate and fix the front or I would not accept the car. They proceeded to show me a new 'directive' from our left wing wacky provincial government stating that dealers would be fined and the mechanic as well, if the front plate was not bolted on properly before it left the dealer ?? I told them that 5 bolts was overkill.. anyway, I'll have to see about doing the magnets myself however the front of the XE is hard to get at for the purpose of a metal piece .. my past agreement with the dealer on prior jags was that they did the magnet thing as part of the new car delivery.

However, I did buy a 'sto and go' plate mechanism for one car that worked well in that you can push a remote button and hide it away, it tucks under the front and the attachments are all under the car, so no bolt holes. I'm pretty sure its sto and go, however if you look up 'hide away plate', you will find it.
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (07-26-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
On my FtypeR we epoxied a metal piece behind the front center grill bar and then added earth magnets to the back of the plate.. works great and I can pull it off whenever I need to. You would need about 6, 1 inch magnets in a row with another row of 3/4 inch magnets below for stability.

On my XE sport that I just received, the dealer was aware I wanted the same treatment, however when I went to pick it up, a plate had been bolted on with 5 screw holding the backing piece... needless to say I was not happy and told them they would have to remove the plate and fix the front or I would not accept the car. They proceeded to show me a new 'directive' from our left wing wacky provincial government stating that dealers would be fined and the mechanic as well, if the front plate was not bolted on properly before it left the dealer ?? I told them that 5 bolts was overkill.. anyway, I'll have to see about doing the magnets myself however the front of the XE is hard to get at for the purpose of a metal piece .. my past agreement with the dealer on prior jags was that they did the magnet thing as part of the new car delivery.

However, I did buy a 'sto and go' plate mechanism for one car that worked well in that you can push a remote button and hide it away, it tucks under the front and the attachments are all under the car, so no bolt holes. I'm pretty sure its sto and go, however if you look up 'hide away plate', you will find it.
Lawrence
Thanks a lot Lawrence for the detailed explanation. Very helpful. The magnets and license plates never shifted??? If not, nice and has promise.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Thanks a lot Lawrence for the detailed explanation. Very helpful. The magnets and license plates never shifted??? If not, nice and has promise.
No shifting, all solid.
Lawrence