F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

Test driving F-P S

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Test driving F-P S

Test drove a fully loaded FP-S few days ago. Strictly comparing to my 2014 XF 3.0 AWD Portfolio:
* Interior quality and materials are a big let down, does not feel like a proper Jag anymore, extensive use of hard plastic, and leather feels and looks cheap. (same comment goes for the new XE-S I set in, and XF-S I test drove a month ago)
* Excellent handling/ride compromise with sporty feel (this one had 20" wheels). But can not hide the high center of gravity once you get into some faster sweepers. Also not as communicative at the 'seat of the pants' as the XF
* Steering is very quick, nicely weighed, but with less feedback. Tiny buttons crowding the steering wheel feel cheap and hard to use.
* Brakes are really great
* Sport seat is very good with good support and adjustments.
* Rear visibility is a sad joke
* Engine sounds sweet, pulls hard, always eager to rev.
* ZF 8-speed much better calibrated, very quick shifts

Old 04-14-2016, 02:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the report.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:11 PM
Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

What happened to Jag's interiors? Who is the IDIOT in charge of design so I can complain to him?

Old 04-15-2016, 07:59 PM

The only true Jag left is the XJ. I heard it too is getting an update in 2018?

Old 04-16-2016, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Folks, I went to the dealer to see the F-Pace S that was on the floor for a few days. I totally disagree (all opinion) with this post.

I think that it is an outstanding vehicle, with the same engine as my F-Type S. The materials are perfectly fitting for the type of vehicle it is. Remember this is the first move into this market for Jaguar, and they are up against new entrees from the competition, i.e. Bentley, Masserati, and price points from Jeep Summit etc.

I think that Jaguar is doing a fantastic job on it's cars, quality is excellent, and this is change management, i.e. fitting the new world of automotive competition.

Triple thumbs up for the quality workmanship in the new Jag F-Pace, and the pipeline of orders is strong from what I understand. They held off and did it right. I am trading in my 2014 XJL for the F-Pace, and keeping my F-Type in the garage. That is where I am putting my money where my mouth is :-)

The following 2 users liked this post by slojotaa:
Jaguilar (07-24-2016), Mbourne (04-16-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 05:53 PM
BB2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a new owner of an F-Pace S first addition I agree with the first opinion regarding the materials, way too much hard plastic and not enough leather. Also it needs bigger brakes for the size vehicle. It drives well for an SUV, understeers to much though. I also have the same observation about fast sweepers and high CG. The 380 HP V6 is marginal on power. Placing it in dynamic mode and the transmission in sports mode makes it reasonable acceptable. Why did I get it, my wife wanted it.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slojotaa
Folks, I went to the dealer to see the F-Pace S that was on the floor for a few days. I totally disagree (all opinion) with this post.

I think that it is an outstanding vehicle, with the same engine as my F-Type S. The materials are perfectly fitting for the type of vehicle it is. Remember this is the first move into this market for Jaguar, and they are up against new entrees from the competition, i.e. Bentley, Masserati, and price points from Jeep Summit etc.

I think that Jaguar is doing a fantastic job on it's cars, quality is excellent, and this is change management, i.e. fitting the new world of automotive competition.

Triple thumbs up for the quality workmanship in the new Jag F-Pace, and the pipeline of orders is strong from what I understand. They held off and did it right. I am trading in my 2014 XJL for the F-Pace, and keeping my F-Type in the garage. That is where I am putting my money where my mouth is :-)
I agree with SloJoTaa and I think the real issue is the model of the F-Pace you order. The lower level models, that go for 40k to 50k are a little heavier on plastic trim and lower level finishes. However, the S model and First Edition are fully loaded with great interior fit and finishes that I think blow BMW and Audi away and are clearly giving Mercedes a run for their money in the 60k to 70k space.

I'm a fan and was floored by how nice the interior was on the S model.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (07-23-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

You were comparing your Portfolio XF with a non-Portfolio F-Pace and of course you would be disappointed. Hopefully F-P will get Portfolio in the future. This reminds me of the then-new S-Type (ugly plain) vs. later S-Type VDP (much nicer!)

Did you notice any "squeaks and squeals" during your test drive that were mentioned by Consumer Reports?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 AM

No- I'm comparing my XF Portfolio to the highest spec. FP available in the US (not counting FE). It appears to me Jaguar miscalculated and had to cheapen the hell out of the interiors to compensate somewhat for the high costs of aluminum construction to keep the cars price-competitive .

Did not notice any squeaks or squeals. Was listening for those specifically. Car felt tight as a drum.

Talking to my sales guy just the other day, he complained the current lease rates on these suck the big one mostly because of lousy residuals (something to the effect ~800/mo for a $55K mid range FP if I recall).

Last edited by yidal8; 07-26-2016 at 08:26 AM.