F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 2016 - Onwards

How many of you would really buy F-Pace?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by theweeb
Here is mine, build date 4/15, delivery late June. Can't wait, will so complement the convertable..
You forgot the "Black Pack." It would look much better with black front and back diffusers, black side vents.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Plainsman
You forgot the "Black Pack." It would look much better with black front and back diffusers, black side vents.
Actually, I considered it, but wanted a bit of contrast, much like the chrome grille on my XKR. That said, a full blackout "stealth" look would definitely work if that is what you are after.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger - still justifying having 2 SUV's (wife has Lincoln MKX). So a couple of questions for those who already did buy? 1) Were the dealers willing/able to budge on pricing? On a brand new vehicle typically price-negotiation is limited. 2) In a brief conversation with the sales guy I'm told you can't opt out of the purchase when the car arrives - if you don't care for it. Have you heard same? Not likely that would happen, but nice to have an out just in case. 3) I'm torn between the R-Sport and S. The lure of the extra 40 horses is strong, but is the extra cash really worth it? Is the R-Sport enough?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by XJRont; 03-14-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by XJRont
I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger - still justifying having 2 SUV's (wife has Lincoln MKX). So a couple of questions for those who already did buy? 1) Were the dealers willing/able to budge on pricing? On a brand new vehicle typically price-negotiation is limited. 2) Ina brief conversation with the sales guy I'm told you can't opt out of the purchase when the car arrives - if you don't care for it. Have you heard same? Not likely that would happen, but nice to have an out just in case.

Thanks guys.
My experience: No budging on price, but locking in MSRP might be okay, as with demand, I expect additional dealer markups for those that end up on the lot. My dealer said that I could opt out if it arrives and I do not like it, said the demand was such that they could easily sell it off the floor if I decided against it (and they would refund my $500 build deposit).

The following users liked this post:
XJRont (03-14-2016)
Old 03-14-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by theweeb
My experience: No budging on price, but locking in MSRP might be okay, as with demand, I expect additional dealer markups for those that end up on the lot. My dealer said that I could opt out if it arrives and I do not like it, said the demand was such that they could easily sell it off the floor if I decided against it (and they would refund my $500 build deposit).
Great info on price and opting out. I doubt I would - unless I drove one and hated it - also unlikely. I suspected little room on price - I plan on trading my XJ so might have a bit more wiggle room on the trade. Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

It's easy enough to lock in the $500 early order Nav credit and $800 financing credit as a minimum, but it's not clear how much more. I'm going by the dealer for a chat on Wed, so should learn more. If that's it, and no JCNA discount, it might be hard to wait for an unproven F-Pace vs an Audi Q5 or BMW that are both available and discounting.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
It's easy enough to lock in the $500 early order Nav credit and $800 financing credit as a minimum, but it's not clear how much more. I'm going by the dealer for a chat on Wed, so should learn more. If that's it, and no JCNA discount, it might be hard to wait for an unproven F-Pace vs an Audi Q5 or BMW that are both available and discounting.
You get the $500 credit if you do not order the Nav otherwise the $%00 comes off the MSRP. As far as the $800 is concerned that is the maximum credit you will receive off your monthly payment if you choose to finance through Jaguar. That means your monthly payment needs to be at least $800 otherwise you get up to one months credit based on your finance deal.

There is no JCNA discount on this vehicle. as far as it being a new model, yes the sheet metal is new but much of the vehicle come from other JLR models.

Since it has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty there should be no issues that the dealer won't take care of.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

"Since it has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty there should be no issues that the dealer won't take care of. "

The warranty is very helpful (and a year longer than Audi/BMW), as is the free scheduled maintenance, and the fact that the engine isn't new takes pressure off the risk. Those are all positives in the buying equations.

However, taking a car in for free service is still a 3-hour round trip drive (for me); and, if there IS a quality problem, the up front warranty doesn't help much in year 6 or on resale. So, the warranty doesn't really take care of everything.

Meanwhile, it's also a question of waiting and paying a premium (if price isn't negotiable). That first year rush to pay something close to sticker won't hold up a year or two later -- just ask the initial owner who took a $25k hit on my F-Type.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Your Lexus would high center around here on many winter days.. good SUV's tend not to due to clearance.. its that simple.
My sedan's are more fun to drive, but I wouldn't get out of my driveway on many days of the winter.. the SUV type vehicle does.
Lawrence.

Well, you are forgetting that no one tries to get out of their driveway after a snowstorm until after they shovel out said driveway. And by that time, the street plows have gone through so the asphalt you drive on is easily navigable by AWD sedan.

The only instance I can think of where an AWD sedan isn't just as capable a ride as a AWD SUV is if you plan to drive up snow covered gravel roads (these don't get plowed) to some ski resort or something. That is when you have to worry about ground clearance. But I don't ski, camp, hike, or do off-roading. I'm never going to venture into the woods.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Plainsman
Well, you are forgetting that no one tries to get out of their driveway after a snowstorm until after they shovel out said driveway. And by that time, the street plows have gone through so the asphalt you drive on is easily navigable by AWD sedan.

The only instance I can think of where an AWD sedan isn't just as capable a ride as a AWD SUV is if you plan to drive up snow covered gravel roads (these don't get plowed) to some ski resort or something. That is when you have to worry about ground clearance. But I don't ski, camp, hike, or do off-roading. I'm never going to venture into the woods.
No, I'm not forgetting when people need to get out of the driveway... shovel? Not a chance around here.

In our area we have driveways that are over 500 feet long and when you are wanting out at 6 a.m.. you don't have time for plowing or snowblowing much of the time.

Also, we have many gravel roads, although they do get plowed.. highways and gravel roads both can easily end up with deep snow, especially in high winds and believe me,.. you will not see a sedan making it on these roads.. they are all suv or trucks.

It only takes a few days of deep drifting snow.. and days when you really need to get somewhere to convince you that if you only have a sedan, you will be wishing for a suv... especially one as nice as the Jaguar.
Lawrence

Old 03-16-2016, 08:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Since it has a 5 year 60,000 mile warranty there should be no issues that the dealer won't take care of. "

The warranty is very helpful (and a year longer than Audi/BMW), as is the free scheduled maintenance, and the fact that the engine isn't new takes pressure off the risk. Those are all positives in the buying equations.

However, taking a car in for free service is still a 3-hour round trip drive (for me); and, if there IS a quality problem, the up front warranty doesn't help much in year 6 or on resale. So, the warranty doesn't really take care of everything.

Meanwhile, it's also a question of waiting and paying a premium (if price isn't negotiable). That first year rush to pay something close to sticker won't hold up a year or two later -- just ask the initial owner who took a $25k hit on my F-Type.
If you expect to hold on to a vehicle for that long and you don't think it has paid you back for its years of service then you should not buy it.

The Corvette C7 series specifically the Z06 has not moved much off MSRP for the past 2 /12 years because of demand. That is not to say that will happen for the F Pace but right now it is looking like it will be Jaguars biggest seller. With all of that said Jaguar is a niche brand and only attracts a certain buying group. As for the F Type it got good reviews not great ones. And for the price well I think it might have been overpriced to start off with.

Do what you may but is sounds like you have convinced yourself for the moment to hold off on the FP.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
The Corvette C7 series specifically the Z06 has not moved much off MSRP for the past 2 /12 years because of demand. That is not to say that will happen for the F Pace but right now it is looking like it will be Jaguars biggest seller. With all of that said Jaguar is a niche brand and only attracts a certain buying group.
Actually, it is expected to be Jaguar's second biggest seller. Factory projections for model year 2017 are for sales of 300,000 XEs, 100,000 F Paces, and 100,000 of the other three models (F Type, XF, XJ) combined. The new XF is expected to be much rarer than the old XF and will go from the brand's best seller to its worst seller.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:57 AM

Going to see this and the other Jag models at the Denver Auto Show today (which is the third largest in the US, so I am told). Will take some pictures and beg for a seat behind the wheel.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:23 PM

Wait - US buyers get free scheduled maintenance? According to my sales guy, not the case in Canada

Old 03-21-2016, 09:03 AM

Interesting time at the Denver Auto Show, as I got to get in the F-Pace that was on tour (many photos have already been posted, so I will just share this one) and am actually left with some mixed feelings about it. Perhaps part of my pause was the color choices for this display, as I have never personally liked blue/white, but I tried to be objective in my personal evaluation as to whether this will be a good fit for me. From the outside, I really enjoy the lines from the side, the way the roof sweeps back, and that tail, simply gorgeous. It is the front end I struggle with, much like I did with the F-Type, as my appreciation for the Jaguar DNA goes back to those flowing curves, the aerodynamic aspect of more organic shapes, not the flat, very angular faces of the more modern line. That is why I really love my XKR, the lines are sexy, not overly aggressive when compared to the F. The lower corner "air ducts" are so obviously fake, I think they could have done a better job of making them look more realistic. Understand that I am accustomed to the lines of my XKR and Cayenne, and could not help but make some comparisons with the new Cayenne models that were also on the show floor. The F-Pace interior is superb, the way the line of the door sill curved into and around the dash, the controls are very intuitive, and the LED strip accents really made the interior feel calming. The large glass on the roof added to the feeling of space, as (again) compared to my Cayenne, I felt a bit confined. That said, the rear seating had plenty of room, and the cargo area in back seemed more than adequate for my needs. I also looked at similar vehicles from US manufacturers as well as from the East and Europe, and despite the fact that I can get into a Cherokee for half the price, I am "sold" on the F-Pace or maybe - and this is where my doubt lies - a new Cayenne.

Attached Thumbnails How many of you would really buy F-Pace?-fpacedenver.jpg  
Old 03-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XJRont
Wait - US buyers get free scheduled maintenance? According to my sales guy, not the case in Canada
COMPLIMENTARY SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE**
Relax in the knowledge that long-term performance
is assured with the Complimentary Scheduled
Maintenance Coverage. It covers factory recommended
scheduled servicing as detailed in the "Passport to
Service" for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs
first**. A Service Interval Indicator will appear every
16,000 miles or every 12 months, to remind you to take
advantage of your complimentary maintenance.

^From the U.S. sales brochure.

For those who would like to download a full copy (16.2mb):

Download a Brochure | Jaguar USA

Last edited by uncheel; 03-21-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

We've been looking at alternatives (primarily Q5, Macan, X5), but have decided to hang on until the F-Pace arrives. When I told the Audi rep, he replied:
<BR><BR>"I have a couple of folks interested in the Jag."

Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM

COMPLIMENTARY SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE**
Relax in the knowledge that long-term performance
is assured with the Complimentary Scheduled
Maintenance Coverage. It covers factory recommended
scheduled servicing as detailed in the "Passport to
Service" for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs
first**. A Service Interval Indicator will appear every
16,000 miles or every 12 months, to remind you to take
advantage of your complimentary maintenance.

^From the U.S. sales brochure.

For those who would like to download a full copy (16.2mb):

Download a Brochure | Jaguar USA
Turns out I was only partially correct - in Canada only the first scheduled maintenance is included. Curiously, the wording in the brochure is almost identical - including the opening comment, but then it references the first service only. Shame. And the Canadian warranty is 4 yr / 80,000 KM (50,000 mi), compared to 5 yr / 60,000 miles in USA. Curious why we get less of a warranty/maintenance program. Might have to ask JLR Canada...

Old 03-31-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

That 16 gallon tank is also a REAL deal breaker. So much for being a highway long distance cruiser when you have to stop every 350 or so miles.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ddsski
That 16 gallon tank is also a REAL deal breaker. So much for being a highway long distance cruiser when you have to stop every 350 or so miles.
You must be young, as 350 miles is about 5 hours of driving, which is way longer than my bladder would hold out....

Quick Reply: How many of you would really buy F-Pace?