Sponsored by:

car go boom

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default car go boom

I have a V8S.
3650 miles.

Was at a stop sign, looked to the left, cop. Due to said cop, went easy, heard sound - sounded like dragging cans like a "just married" car - except I didn't have cans dragging.
Came to light, sound still going - not good - up front.

Thought it sounded like a fan or a snapped belt.

Friends heard it once stopped, they said no no no, that's bad, that's a rod.

Flatbed to dealer where I bought it, they said probably water pump.
Nope, not that.
Probably supercharger, nope not that.

So now, yes - engine toast.

They are waiting on Jag now as to whether it is going to get disassembled there, or sent to Jag, and then I get new engine.

Guy on the phone said I was the first engine blow up like this - but not sure if that is true.

Either way, would rather just have a working one.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by omgomg
I have a V8S.
3650 miles.

Was at a stop sign, looked to the left, cop. Due to said cop, went easy, heard sound - sounded like dragging cans like a "just married" car - except I didn't have cans dragging.
Came to light, sound still going - not good - up front.

Thought it sounded like a fan or a snapped belt.

Friends heard it once stopped, they said no no no, that's bad, that's a rod.

Flatbed to dealer where I bought it, they said probably water pump.
Nope, not that.
Probably supercharger, nope not that.

So now, yes - engine toast.

They are waiting on Jag now as to whether it is going to get disassembled there, or sent to Jag, and then I get new engine.

Guy on the phone said I was the first engine blow up like this - but not sure if that is true.

Either way, would rather just have a working one.
Terrible luck with a near new car. Just hope you will not have to wait for weeks for a new engine, like a poster on the XKR board is. Be sure to let us know when they determine the cause for the failure.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM

If it is going to be a long time, then I will just start making a bigger deal about with them and trade to an R coupe.

Currently otherwise being very laid back.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That's horrid. Sorry to hear that.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

If I was you id start now by saying this is unacceptable and you want to trade it in for full price on a R Coupe. RIGHT NOW. Then again, id prolly just do what your doing

Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lothar52
If I was you id start now by saying this is unacceptable and you want to trade it in for full price on a R Coupe. RIGHT NOW. Then again, id prolly just do what your doing
After to talking to more people, I'm actually going to call my sales guy tomorrow and start the ball rolling on an R Coupe.

Really wish it would be smooth and I don't have to make a fuss on this.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

After to talking to more people, I'm actually going to call my sales guy tomorrow and start the ball rolling on an R Coupe.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...if I was in your shoes I would start at the top and let my feelings known ASAP...best of luck to you, sorry to hear.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

make sure to let them know your plight is about to go viral on the internet...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 360 Posts

If I needed an engine on a new car I would certainly not want it back. There is a guy on the XK/XKR forum who has been waiting for some time for his new engine. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

If man builds it, it can blow!! I am a a Jaguar advocate, love this company and it's cars/history. Hope some day they get back into sponsorship racing as well!!! A mark of a company is how it treats it's soon to be loyal customers and trust you me Jaguar has taken great care of me. I won't buy a different brand even if I wanted to!! That being said you should at least be allowed to upgrade to an R coupe if you wish with or without paying price difference because this is a major major "lemon" now with decreased value IF fixed properly. Needs to be sent back to England, studied, recycled. Should be studied fixed and raffled off to one of their poorer employees who can't afford a Jag!! God Bless them so!!

Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar52
If man builds it, it can blow!! I am a a Jaguar advocate, love this company and it's cars/history. Hope some day they get back into sponsorship racing as well!!! A mark of a company is how it treats it's soon to be loyal customers and trust you me Jaguar has taken great care of me. I won't buy a different brand even if I wanted to!! That being said you should at least be allowed to upgrade to an R coupe if you wish with or without paying price difference because this is a major major "lemon" now with decreased value IF fixed properly. Needs to be sent back to England, studied, recycled. Should be studied fixed and raffled off to one of their poorer employees who can't afford a Jag!! God Bless them so!!
I totally agree! They should be stepping up right now to take care of you. Full price credit (MSRP) plus taxes and fees against the new car...no questions asked!

Bobert

Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 AM

I've reached out to the dealer to start the ball rolling - they haven't really been terribly great about anything at all, ever.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

For about a week you have to give the dealer and Jaguar a chance to work out what they want to do. I have seen this before with Ferraris and other brands and they have to figure out the options. If they are going to ship in a new engine and replace it completely I do not see any problem. If they are going to do a dealer tear down then I would be concerned.

Bobert

Old 06-26-2014, 02:13 PM

Talked to dealer, will talk again on Sat.

Will look at what they have coming in, but right now leaning towards this spec:
Build your F-TYPE - SUMMARY

Early stages still.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Your inclination to go with a new car is a good call. No matter if your motor is replaced, there will likely be some kind of stigma, if not in your mind, in the minds of future buyers of your V8S.

For a minor issue on my F-Type (that was recently fixed by Jaguar to my satisfaction), my SA shared with me that Jaguar Corporate has launched a program for its dealers called, "Find It and Fix It." The idea, a "fast-track" repair program of sorts, is to emphasize Jaguar's ongoing commitment to F-Type owners. Hopefully, you will benefit in some way from this.

Never hurts either to familiarize yourself with your "Dispute Resolution Supplement" that came with your Owner's Handbook. (You may already have this covered.) Many states have individual Lemon Law laws. Always good to keep in mind how your particular state (MA?) interprets ownership rights, especially if your case starts to stall for whatever reason(s).

Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 AM

If I order something to spec, was told it will be 4 months to delivery.

But what I wanted (or one option) seems to be available, so talking with dealer about numbers.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Never hurts either to familiarize yourself with your "Dispute Resolution Supplement" that came with your Owner's Handbook. (You may already have this covered.) Many states have individual Lemon Law laws. Always good to keep in mind how your particular state (MA?) interprets ownership rights, especially if your case starts to stall for whatever reason(s).
Unfortunately, my owner's handbook is in the car, which is at the dealer.

Is that available online at all?

Dealer has come back with a weird response - so I am now going to see if it is possible to deal with Jag directly, as this dealer has long given me the sense of... well, Bad Things. (this actual dealer, and their larger owner - not Jag)

Old 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM

Okay, found this which appears to be the same for LR or Jag:
http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/to...23327a1&page=1

Called that number, it only says LR.
Options are for 1, 2, or 3.
1 is only roadside assistance
2, don't recall, but wasn't relevant
3 was "other" which includes speaking to someone about the issue at dispute

Pressed 3, it looped back to the same menu again.

Pressed 3 again, it sent me to Roadside Assistance, and in there no relevant options or ways out if not actually roadside assistance.

Starting to get very annoyed.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Google lemon law for your state.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by drgek
Google lemon law for your state.
I'm in MA, the car is covered under the first level (low miles, new car).
But for any Big Deal stuff, it has to have had three good faith repair attempts fail on the same issue.

So would need 3 engine replacements before it is considered a lemon basically in this case.

Went here:
CONTACT US
Used that number for cust service, that seems to be the same as the LR one, 3 looped around again - same weird issue - but option 9 (they don't say it, but site does and manual link did too), gets you to someone (then option 2).

Someone at Jag is looking to see if the dealer is doing this correctly.

Quick Reply: car go boom