F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*ULTIMATE* Active/Passive Exhaust Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:50 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the switch light can be turned on/off whether in dynamic mode or not. It turns on automatically with dynamic mode as it should, but when it's not in dynamic mode, the switch makes no difference in sound.
I even borrowed a buddy's SPL meter to measure the sound from ~1K-3K RPM (not in gear) without being in dynamic mode to test it and found no difference - so maybe it's only different in the higher RPMs..
... or my switch is just broken, but I'll choose to believe everything is just fine.
Seemingly like most everyone else here, I usually have it in dynamic mode anyway, so it hasn't been a bother.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by UgotMOSSd
On MY16 V6S 6sp - my exhaust switch button ON alone doesn't make a difference, but activating dynamic mode turns on the switch light and the exhaust gets louder. Only in dynamic mode though.
Is that something anyone else has experienced? I usually keep it in dynamic, so it's not really a big issue - just thought it was odd that the button only works for me in dynamic mode!
The light should turn on and the exhaust get louder with the button even if you aren’t in dynamic mode.
Perhaps your switch is bad. In dynamic mode, can you turn the light off by pushing the button?

Old 05-27-2020, 08:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The light should turn on and the exhaust get louder with the button even if you aren’t in dynamic mode.
Perhaps your switch is bad. In dynamic mode, can you turn the light off by pushing the button?
​​​​​
Yes, I can turn the light off in dynamic mode - and the exhaust gets noticeably quieter.
So I do think the switch is operating as it should.
Oddly enough - when I am NOT in dynamic mode, the exhaust seems to be stuck in "quiet" mode, regardless of the switch being on or off.
I measured this with an SPL meter at low RPM to make sure.. although this was done in neutral. I may mount one to the outside of the car somehow and test it on a drive to see if I'm going crazy or if I need to get my ears replaced.

Last edited by UgotMOSSd; 05-27-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes.
so it would make the sound louder?

Old 05-28-2020, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jebuslord
so it would make the sound louder?
Yes, by just a bit. The active exhaust is quieter with the valves closed than the non-active exhaust, and just a bit louder with the valves open. Certainly not worth doing if buying an OEM muffler, but if you find a used one some place, go for it. If you were looking at a new one , you’d be better off looking at one of the VAP options. In the non-active unit, I believe they offer 3 different sound levels.

The following users liked this post:
jebuslord (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Yes, by just a bit. The active exhaust is quieter with the valves closed than the non-active exhaust, and just a bit louder with the valves open. Certainly not worth doing if buying an OEM muffler, but if you find a used one some place, go for it. If you were looking at a new one , you’d be better off looking at one of the VAP options. In the non-active unit, I believe they offer 3 different sound levels.
cuz i used to have a lease ftype before and that one had an active exhaust with the button but the one that i have now doesnt have an active exhaust or the button so i was wondering if i replace to active exhaust and have the valves open all time would it sound the same? Lmk thx!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member

cuz i used to have a lease ftype before and that one had an active exhaust with the button but the one that i have now doesnt have an active exhaust or the button so i was wondering if i replace to active exhaust and have the valves open all time would it sound the same? Lmk thx!
The sound level on any V6 (with OEM tune) should be the same with valves open on a valved OEM muffler.

jebuslord (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:02 AM

The sound level on any V6 (with OEM tune) should be the same with valves open on a valved OEM muffler.
got it getting it tmrw Going to local shop and get it install do i need to tell them do connect the vacuum hoes or leave it? To have the valves open?!

Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

got it getting it tmrw Going to local shop and get it install do i need to tell them do connect the vacuum hoes or leave it? To have the valves open?!
If you have a base V6 without active exhaust, you have no vacuum lines back there. When installing the active muffler (with valves) you might want to put rubber caps on the valve vacuum line inlets to keep them clean just in case you want to add a small vacuum pump with a remote switch at some point in the future for droneless highway cruising.

jebuslord (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:51 PM

If you have a base V6 without active exhaust, you have no vacuum lines back there. When installing the active muffler (with valves) you might want to put rubber caps on the valve vacuum line inlets to keep them clean just in case you want to add a small vacuum pump with a remote switch at some point in the future for droneless highway cruising.
got it thx alot!!

Old 02-28-2021, 11:44 AM
Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

Since these cars have so much more backfire and rumbling, does that end up killing your cats quicker? I'm getting that buzzy metalic vibration sound when I have a cold start up and it starts to lower the revs down. Doesn't do it if I push the switch to keep the valves open. Is that potentially a bad cat or is that with the muffler?

Old 03-04-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by datriani
Since these cars have so much more backfire and rumbling, does that end up killing your cats quicker? I'm getting that buzzy metalic vibration sound when I have a cold start up and it starts to lower the revs down. Doesn't do it if I push the switch to keep the valves open. Is that potentially a bad cat or is that with the muffler?
Could be a loose muffler valve.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:07 PM
Received 392 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
Yes. It will kill your cats quicker...my theory is that JLR had out of control warranty costs associated with the cats hence released a software update that significantly reduced the amount of noise.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 PM
Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

Could be a loose muffler valve.
Is that a quick fix or do I need to take that to a shop?