F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 V8S Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 V8S Tune

I'm really considering getting a tune for the car, however I don't have any "warm and fuzzies" regarding who and how. A few vendors offer remote tuning via an android device and cable, but I haven't found any substantial informative positive or negative reviews. There is a Eurocharged dealer in Maryland, ISP Racing, but I don't know if anyone has had the F Type model (much less any Jag model) tuned there. Viezo is supposedly making their V-Switch compatible sometime in the near future, which would store the factory tune along with two other custom tunes, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of the quality of their tunes by research either.
I know some members do have tunes for their cars, can someone share?
Thanks,
Charlie

Old 03-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What are you trying to achieve with your tune?

If it is to reduce fuel economy, undermine long-term reliability for marginal boost in near redline performance, then 'remote' app tune is quite appropriate.

If you want to gain noticeable power gain, then there is no way around doing some wrenching.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF

If it is to reduce fuel economy, undermine long-term reliability for marginal boost in near redline performance, then 'remote' app tune is quite appropriate.

If you want to gain noticeable power gain, then there is no way around doing some wrenching.

While I agree with the sentiment, there is zero hardware difference between the 488/495/510ps V8S and the 550ps V8R so there is DEFINITELY a way to boost the power the difference between the two (which is arguably around 40hp) without negatively affecting....anything. Now, whether or not anyone has come up with a well thought out, comprehensive software upgrade to do that or not is a different question....

Other than exhaust, I'm not aware of any other physical differences for the 575hp P7 and SVR either.

SOMEONE did a modified R download into a V8S as well....

Cheers,
Dave

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

What does that even mean? By all means, tell us more about marginal gains and what you mean by "doing some wrenching"? Wrenching on what?

I have a remote tune, as do many others and picked up 4mph on the 1/4 and went from 11.70 to 11.44. I have countless 1/4 mile passes and several 1/2 passes.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I detect sarcasm here, which is really hard to convey using this type of format - great job!
Anyway I think some performance gains could safely be achieved by a remap, like increased throttle response and hp. I thought I did read here somewhere about the R map being flashed to the S.
I have used handheld devices for a couple of previous vehicles, 07 Mustang GT (SCT tuned by Chris Rose) LTs and CAI, 07 Shelby GT500 (SCT tuned by Jon Lund) CAI, TB, and pulley, and a 13 Camaro ZL1 (Diablosport tuned by Lew), CAI and TB - so I have turned a wrench or two. The driving characteristics for all those changed noticeably for the better along with the convenience of flashing to the factory tune and reading of any codes. It just seems that information regarding tuning of the F Type is for the most part non existent.
I guess time will tell.......
Thanks for the replies,
C

Old 03-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by ckosiek
I think I detect sarcasm here, which is really hard to convey using this type of format - great job!
I'm not sure he was being sarcastic. This has kinda been his tone since joining.

That being said, there are many tunes available, with questionable results. APVelocity, which I believe to be the most reputable and active tuner currently on this forum, just tuned an R with some impressive gains. Hopefully they will post those shortly.

In addition Eurocharged Performance and Eurotoys seem to make decent products as well, though I've never talked to them much about it. I've heard good things. Hennessy makes a tune also, probably the biggest company, but I've seen horror stories.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by ckosiek
I'm really considering getting a tune for the car, however I don't have any "warm and fuzzies" regarding who and how. A few vendors offer remote tuning via an android device and cable, but I haven't found any substantial informative positive or negative reviews. There is a Eurocharged dealer in Maryland, ISP Racing, but I don't know if anyone has had the F Type model (much less any Jag model) tuned there. Viezo is supposedly making their V-Switch compatible sometime in the near future, which would store the factory tune along with two other custom tunes, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of the quality of their tunes by research either.
I know some members do have tunes for their cars, can someone share?
Thanks,
Charlie
PM Schwabe for details regarding ISP service & quality. From a technical standpoint all they have is a Dynojet which is merely an inertial dyno. For proper mapping/tuning, you need a dyno that can simulate load such as a Mustang or Dynapack: Differences between dyno #'s: Dynojet, Dynapack, Mustang.
Check out John Behe at ASM Performance in Hanover, Maryland:asmperformance. He has a Dynapack and both Jaronstoys and I are extremely pleased with the tuning he has done for us.

Proper tuning just can't be done without the car sitting on a load simulating dyno. I would suggest ignoring the mail order tunes.Though some of them might be quite effective, there's no way of assuring that your specific vehicle isn't exceeding safe parameters without data logging while under load. Data logging while driving would require speeds of up to 130mph in 4th gear which is not particularly viable.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-29-2016 at 07:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
ckosiek (03-30-2016), SinF (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:12 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

There's always one of these in every crowd. You and forum member Queen and Country should get together for tea and discuss the perils of aftermarket tuning. Perhaps you guys can walnut blast your heads together for more power!

Stohlen (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
there is zero hardware difference between the 488/495/510ps V8S and the 550ps V8R
I have hard time believing that Jag would intentionally take a car that is capable of higher performance and down-tune it. You do realize that they have to compete with other brands, like Porsche, and if they could make base perform at R levels, they absolutely would, because that would move more cars off the lot and more than offset loss of margins from occasional R sale. Basic economics dictate that there are hardware differences.

Originally Posted by Philly Single
What does that even mean? By all means, tell us more about marginal gains and what you mean by "doing some wrenching"? Wrenching on what?
To get more power you need to get in more air and more fuel and move out more exhaust. This means you have to improve intake, exhaust, or fuel delivery to see gains. You could also see gains by reducing rotational mass, but this is generally cost-prohibitive due to expensive materials (titanium) or seriously undermines longevity (hollowed/drilled parts).

Anything else is ether snake oil or gambling that you won't suffer catastrophic failure by applying different car's tune to yours. Proper tuning (which could not be done without putting your car on expensive dyno machine) will minimize the risks of catastrophic failure. This cannot be done remotely.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
discuss the perils of aftermarket tuning
There are some risk with any tuning, but they could be managed if done properly. Unless it is "remote tuning via an android device and cable".

Maybe you are not mechanically inclined and don't know the difference between dyno runs and android device and a cable. Let me try analogy. Say you have an investment stock portfolio. I could 'tune' it with robo adviser or I could have Warren Buffett pick your stocks. Which one do you think will work out better for you?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

I have hard time believing that Jag would intentionally take a car that is capable of higher performance and down-tune it. You do realize that they have to compete with other brands, like Porsche, and if they could make base perform at R levels, they absolutely would, because that would move more cars off the lot and more than offset loss of margins from occasional R sale. Basic economics dictate that there are hardware differences.
Are you just trolling us now? You honestly think Jaguar made 3 or 4 completely different engines? Sweet Jesus...or maybe it's fundamentally the same engine in some weird plan to use mass production and turn a profit?! Do you also think Audi makes multiple different 4.0L turbo engines since the RS7 makes so much more power than the A8?

To get more power you need to get in more air and more fuel and move out more exhaust. This means you have to improve intake, exhaust, or fuel delivery to see gains. You could also see gains by reducing rotational mass, but this is generally cost-prohibitive due to expensive materials (titanium) or seriously undermines longevity (hollowed/drilled parts).

Anything else is ether snake oil or gambling that you won't suffer catastrophic failure by applying different car's tune to yours. Proper tuning (which could not be done without putting your car on expensive dyno machine) will minimize the risks of catastrophic failure. This cannot be done remotely.
Thanks for the lesson on how a combustion engine works. These aren't tunes for different cars, they are modified tunes of the existing car's map. Modifying fuel curves, ignition timing and have been on plenty of dyno's. I have stacks of slips contradicting "snake oil"

Old 03-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philly Single
You honestly think Jaguar made 3 or 4 completely different engines?
Completely different? No. Different enough that one could output 500HP+ and another would just blow up if tuned that way? Absolutely!

It is actually very common to have the same basic engine design produce vastly different outputs with what may appear to layman as minor differences (bolts, gaskets, pistons, valves, flywheel).

One example of this that I am intimately familiar with is Mercedes M113 V8 engine. They put them into E class producing 280hp and into SLR McLaren producing 600hps. I don't think I have to explain that you couldn't possibly get 600hps out of E-class M113 even if they share a great deal of parts.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

I have hard time believing that Jag would intentionally take a car that is capable of higher performance and down-tune it.
This is... absolutely, positively, 100% exactly what Jaguar did... Basic economics tells you that if you sell something, and then a year or two later sell a new product that makes that old product inferior, people are going to trade up... which means you sell another car. Economics also teaches us that engineering one, more expensive (per raw material/labor) set of hardware costs less than engineering 3 different sets.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

One example of this that I am intimately familiar with is Mercedes M113 V8 engine. They put them into E class producing 280hp and into SLR McLaren producing 600hps. I don't think I have to explain that you couldn't possibly get 600hps out of E-class M113 even if they share a great deal of parts.
The M113 is a family of engines, not a specific engine... M113s range from 4.3L to 5.4L with completely different bores and strokes. Comparing them is like saying a road bike and a mountain bike are the same thing because they both have handlebars.

You're missing the point that the V8S, R, AWD R, P7, and SVR all use the same 5.0L block with the same supercharger, same pistons, same accessories, etc. and are only tuned differently to provide additional model designations. Its not like the engines in these vehicles are different displacements, or built for superchargers vs. naturally aspirated variants like your example. Do the research like we have.

Last edited by Stohlen; 03-29-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
This is... absolutely, positively, 100% exactly what Jaguar did... Basic economics tells you that if you sell something, and then a year or two later sell a new product that makes that old product inferior, people are going to trade up... which means you sell another car. Economics also teaches us that engineering one, more expensive (per raw material/labor) set of hardware costs less than engineering 3 different sets.
You are sadly mistaken if you think Jag produces R-types, then de-tunes some of them to sell as S, then de-tunes more of them to sell as base model. You are also very mistaken if you think that some 'app and a cable' can turn any F-type car into R. I refuse to believe this is the case, as it defies any logic or reason. You will have to show lot of proof for me to believe you, as this is well into reptilian people territory.

There must be mechanical differences between each new iteration. While they are 99.9% the same car, that 0.1% makes all the difference (and takes a lot of engineering).

I could, for example, get your Impreza 4 cylinder boxer engine and have it produce 310 HP (WRX). I might even figure out how to do this with an app. It will work for about 10 seconds, before it blows up. Both use a lot of similar parts, but they are not identical engines.

Last edited by SinF; 03-29-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

There are some risk with any tuning, but they could be managed if done properly. Unless it is "remote tuning via an android device and cable".

Maybe you are not mechanically inclined and don't know the difference between dyno runs and android device and a cable. Let me try analogy. Say you have an investment stock portfolio. I could 'tune' it with robo adviser or I could have Warren Buffett pick your stocks. Which one do you think will work out better for you?
There are many companies who have offered incredible tunes via remote services... ALA Cobb Tuning... and run off the shelf maps on thousands of cars without failures. Hell, companies like Dinan work with the factory warranty, and they don't custom tune. It may not be the most ideal tune in the world (meaning not the most efficient or most powerful) but that doesn't mean its not safe. In addition to that, these android based tuning devices still allow you to data log and have a tuner make adjustments remotely just like you would on a dyno. Some would argue it is even better to do a street/track log based tune because it provides real world data rather than a dyno simulation with a strapped down vehicle.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

You are sadly mistaken if you think Jag produces R-types, then de-tunes some of them to sell as S, then de-tunes more of them to sell as base model. You are also very mistaken if you think that some 'app and a cable' can turn any F-type car into R. I refuse to believe this is the case, as it defies any logic or reason.

There must be mechanical differences between each new iteration. While they are 99.9% the same car, that 0.1% makes all the difference (and takes a lot of engineering).

I could, for example, get your Impreza 4 cylinder boxer engine and have it produce 310 HP (WRX). I might even figure out how to do this with an app. It will work for about 10 seconds, before it blows up. Both use a lot of similar parts, but they are not identical engines.
I do this for a living my friend, i know exactly what goes into engineering a car and how different variants of vehicles are created. We do sneaky stuff all the time to make you think you're getting a better car/better value. And you're still trying to compare a 2.0L N/A boxer engine to a 2.5L FI boxer engine as the same thing (even though they don't use any similar parts), rather than a 5.0L engine out of a F Type V8S to a 5.0L engine out of a F Type R.

Philly Single (03-30-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Have you done parts list comparison? If what you say is true, the only difference would be in electronics.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Have you done parts list comparison? If what you say is true, the only difference would be in electronics.
Must be? so you have no idea.....I see. Yes, that's EXACTLY what Jaguar did and people here that work for Jaguar have checked the parts list and verified it as true.

They didn't "detune" an R, they offered it as a 495/488 (and in reality a 510ps) version, then the following year they bumped the tune and reissued it as a 550 to entice new buyers, then they changed the exhaust, changed the tune and re-issued the 575hp version. this is ZERO difference in the block, heads, manifolds, superchargers, pistons, rods, rings, etc. etc.

What, you think the 495 was going to self destruct at 550 so they designed a completely new engine for 2015....seriously? you obviously have no clue.

Dave

Old 03-29-2016, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member

Whether you have a hard time believing doesn't change reality....and "base"? what do you mean by that? the base F type is a 340hp V6, the V8S is a 5.0l V8, the R is the SAME engine with a different program......whether you believe it or not.

Dave