F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F Type R CPO - pricing negotiation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F Type R CPO - pricing negotiation

Hello all, very long time lurker here. I've been eyeing the F type R coupe for a while now and a car with almost the right colour and options has come along. The quality of posts and maturity of the members on this forum is amazing and I was hoping you could provide some opinions on the pricing.

It's a 2016 CPO R Coupe with under 4000 km on the odometer with vision and black packs, carbon fibre roof (rather have pano) and darkened gyrodyne wheels. The dealer acquired it from another dealer which they said was a demo car (it only had one owner). I inspected the vehicle two weeks ago and noticed it was sitting for a while (rusty brakes, dirt on the paint, discolouration of the tailpipes), and also the hood didn't seem to line up (the hood was sitting lower on the right side). They listed it originally for 104,000 Canadian, and have since reduced the listed price to 99,900. The dealer said the CPO costs them 4500 which I don't believe.

My questions are:
1. Do you think 90,000 before tax is a fair price given 2018s are on the lot and winter is right around the corner?
2. Should I be worried since the Carfax said it only had its oil changed once, and since it was a demo, it would not have received a proper break-in period? I assume it might be driven a little more roughly than how the members here treat their cars.
3. Should I wait til next spring (85K - 90K before tax is my most comfortable zone)? I live in northern Canada where there is snow, salt, and gravel 5 months in the year, and would really only have two months to enjoy this before storing it. Also every week one or two more F types are posted on Autotrader for saie.

Thanks in advance and hope to join the club soon!

Old 08-03-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

You'll need some of our Canadian forum members to weigh in on pricing. Find out when the "in service" date of the car was. This will determine warranty period remaining and how many oil changes should have been performed. Since the mileage is low, the oil will need to have been changed every 12 months from the in service date.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:45 PM

The only record of service was December 23, 2015 and the first owner reported in January 20, 2016. There are no entries after owner registration. It lists currently at 37xx km.

Old 08-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the car you are talking about since I saw it also on autotrader.
Just bought this week a R coupe here in Eastern Canada from a Jag dealer.
My car (2015) was a return of a lease and was a in great shape with 5000 kms on the odometer. Mine was also a CPO and for the hood thing, well I think that panel alignment could be better on these cars especially in the front but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the car.
My car had only one oil change done (1st free service) as well but they did one on delivery (was required in order to get that certification if I'm correct). Now with 5000kms only I was not worried at all about that. My car will be driven only 7 months a year and only on weekends so if I do 4000 kms a year that would be great.
Now for the price I did ask them if 90K was doable and they told me 'no'
Well, I think that the car you're looking at should sell around 91-93K
There are not a lot of R with low miles coming for sale with 6 years extended warranty on the market.

Hope this helps !

Alex

Old 08-03-2017, 10:31 PM

Canadian black book 'high' trade in price is 91K for the car you're looking at
Add maybe 2K for CPO (it would cost us around 4K I think if we had to purchase one on our car) and you stand at 93K.

Cheers

Alex

Old 08-04-2017, 08:47 AM

Hi Alex,

Congrats on the car! I was looking at that one too. If I may be so bold, were they flexible with pricing? I've noticed even the prices of the '14 V8S seem to have stabilized for a while. The points you provided are definitely helpful!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 AM

private msg sent !

The following users liked this post:
Snowmahn (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If I were you, I'd get a vehicle appraisal on such an expensive purchase. Its only a couple hundred bucks and then you can can see if the car is even worth buying in the first place.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snowmahn
The only record of service was December 23, 2015 and the first owner reported in January 20, 2016. There are no entries after owner registration. It lists currently at 37xx km.
It seems oil change would have been due on January 20, 2017. No record of service in 2017 pr late 2016 for an oil change? How long has dealer had the car?

Old 08-04-2017, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
If I were you, I'd get a vehicle appraisal on such an expensive purchase. Its only a couple hundred bucks and then you can can see if the car is even worth buying in the first place.
I've never had a vehicle appraisal done before. Google search brings up many companies. Which appraiser do you recommend? Yeah I agree it's overpriced. The salesman didn't seem to motivated to move the car.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
It seems oil change would have been due on January 20, 2017. No record of service in 2017 pr late 2016 for an oil change? How long has dealer had the car?
I pulled up the carproof yesterday and the service record hasn't changed. I believe they listed the car in early July or late June. I assume it's been winter driven before. Should I be concerned about corrosion? When I asked the salesman said the car is aluminum and doesn't rust, but I believe another member had seen rust on his/her F type.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Could be rust wherever there are steel suspension components or steel fasteners. Surface oxidation of the aluminum is possible but unlikely to be more than a light white dusting on unpainted surfaces.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never had a vehicle appraisal done before. Google search brings up many companies. Which appraiser do you recommend? Yeah I agree it's overpriced. The salesman didn't seem to motivated to move the car.
Its hard to say because I only know ones in MD, I would just type "vehicle appraisers" followed by your state in google and take whatever pops up with good ratings. Personally I prefer dealing with a smaller independent shop vs something like CarMAX.

Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

I pulled up the carproof yesterday and the service record hasn't changed. I believe they listed the car in early July or late June. I assume it's been winter driven before. Should I be concerned about corrosion? When I asked the salesman said the car is aluminum and doesn't rust, but I believe another member had seen rust on his/her F type.
I'd ask about the oil change and if the car has been serviced per jaguar requirements. Unhinged has responded on rust. I don't drive mine in winter but had some corrosion on a grounding wire. If it was driven in winter, I'd look for another car, but that's just me.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
I'd ask about the oil change and if the car has been serviced per jaguar requirements. Unhinged has responded on rust. I don't drive mine in winter but had some corrosion on a grounding wire. If it was driven in winter, I'd look for another car, but that's just me.
When I first inquired, the salesperson said they would change the oil and do their necessary inspections for it to be CPO. Thank you to all with your opinions! I'll continue watching the market for now.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I think your pricxe targets might be un realistic. Most dealers are getting a MINIMUM of $75K USD for '16 Rs which is $95K CAD & those aren't CPO so you'd have to add a couple thou to that figure. Heck, even current Manheim is $66K USD with 11K miles so you may be able to buy one at auction for $85K CAD but naturally would not be CPO near those levels.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:52 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was pricing these for the last two months.. In US $ I was told 2 year CPO is about $2600 and 1 year is about $1600. With that said... I picked up '16 F-Type R CPO with 2200 miles (private seller, showroom condition, never seen rain and clean carfax!) 2 weeks ago for $75k. Has the diamond wheels, black pack, vision pack and heated windshield. Prices have been dropping quite fast as we get closer to the '18s showing up.

Last edited by Apparent; 08-15-2017 at 08:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (08-15-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Apparent
I was pricing these for the last two months.. In US $ I was told 2 year CPO is about $2600 and 1 year is about $1600. With that said... I picked up '16 F-Type R CPO with 2200 miles (private seller, showroom condition, never seen rain and clean carfax!) 2 weeks ago for $75k. Has the diamond wheels, black pack, vision pack and heated windshield. Prices have been dropping quite fast as we get closer to the '18s showing up.
Sounds like you got a good deal. So no CPO as you bought it from a private seller or are you able to transfer the CPO from his name to yours?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Sounds like you got a good deal. So no CPO as you bought it from a private seller or are you able to transfer the CPO from his name to yours?
Yes, it's a CPO.. He bought it new from the dealer at the beginning of the month and they backdated the sale because they needed the #. Not sure if he knew or not. Either way he has not happy to have one less month of warranty so the dealer took it back and from what I understand resold it to him with a 1 year CPO free. Carfax history confirms this. Win for me! Totally transferable as the CPO goes with the car.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Apparent
Yes, it's a CPO.. He bought it new from the dealer at the beginning of the month and they backdated the sale because they needed the #. Not sure if he knew or not. Either way he has not happy to have one less month of warranty so the dealer took it back and from what I understand resold it to him with a 1 year CPO free. Carfax history confirms this. Win for me! Totally transferable as the CPO goes with the car.
Not certain I follow the timeline or the gerrymandering but it sounds like you got a good deal on a used R so congrats. So what type of paperwork did you have to do to transfer his CPO warranty to you? I know that some manufacturer's warranties don't transfer to the new owners (BMW for one) unless they are sold through a dealership. I think that Jaguar is more lenient and permits private-party transfers but certainly there is still some type of paperwork, right?

Quick Reply: 2016 F Type R CPO - pricing negotiation