F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F-Type R Tuned +100 HP

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That first run at the end of March is certainly way off the mark. That's not much better than what I'm getting out of the V6.
Yeah, one bad plug out of 8 spark plugs. So now all spark plugs have been replaced it been running how it's supposed to be.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
... it been running how it's supposed to be.
Excellent.

The following users liked this post:
stmcknig (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

OP; thanks for sharing the good, bad, and ugly of your experience. Been rooting for ya so hope everything works out.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:51 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

So are you going to try the tune again? We'd still like to see before and after tunes.

To all (and not to hijack this thread) - since I'll be going to a dyno soon - how do you keep the car from downshifting (i.e. get a good pull from low revs [say 2000] all the way up). If you have a reply, please post here... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...158091/page23/

Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM

Hi Moderator,

Can you please delete this thread? We already resolved this issue and can't really speak about it due to legal circumstances.

Thank you!

Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Send me a PM with a better explanation (in confidence), threads don't get deleted "just because", that's not how it works here sorry.

Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Note to self, never make a claim until after you have all data at hand....hopeful reports during the process, often result in nothing more than hopes. LOL

Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of you guy just can't help busting ***** !!!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure everyone wanted this tune to succeed even if the numbers raised eyebrows.

Having said that, thanks to this thread I have learned to avoid this particular tuner.

ndabunka (12-04-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Challenges of tuning ....

Originally Posted by Shikatsu
I'm pretty sure everyone wanted this tune to succeed even if the numbers raised eyebrows.

Having said that, thanks to this thread I have learned to avoid this particular tuner.

It's appears as though VAP is high on integrity. They discovered that tuning a high tech high end car is not easy and not cost effective for the tuner and for the potential customers.

I listened to STEVE DINAN talk about the challenges and difficulty of doing a proper time. To do this, the company has to have a dedicated
R & D division and deep pockets to invest into the project. DINAN is a huge corporation with tremendous resources. That's why my car remains stock.

ndabunka (12-04-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 04:31 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
It's appears as though VAP is high on integrity. They discovered that tuning a high tech high end car is not easy and not cost effective for the tuner and for the potential customers.
??? VAP has a number of happily-tuned customers on the forum.

[They did discover that the custom headers didn't make enough difference to be worthwhile.]

Old 05-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Not sure why you quoted me and brought up VAP when my original comment didn't mention them at all.

Old 05-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2

I listened to STEVE DINAN talk about the challenges and difficulty of doing a proper time. To do this, the company has to have a dedicated
R & D division and deep pockets to invest into the project. DINAN is a huge corporation with tremendous resources. That's why my car remains stock.
I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly. We certainly aspire to be high on integrity - hence the full disclosure on the headers and the results there and the transparency for the end user.

While tuning any vehicle is not easy, or at least not easy to do well, it most certainly is cost effective for the tuner and customers in most cases. Look at our HP per dollar for the V6 and V8 FTypes for example. Yes we have a lot invested in development but in my humble opinion it's pretty good value for money.

DINAN is a great company with a great reputation, but just because they said it wasn't worth THEIR time to develop Jaguar/Land Rover software doesn't mean that it A.) Can't be done or B.) Can't be done thoroughly and well and for a reasonable cost.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
DPelletier (05-16-2017), Jaaaggg (10-04-2019), JagRag (05-15-2017), SigsJag (05-20-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

This thread has been a very interesting read. And I'll leave my comments at that.

Mpowerr (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:48 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

First off of one wants to make outrageous claims, its best to get it done first and come back with proof. Promising arbitrary numbers without first making an attempt usually doesn't end well or go according to plan; exhibit a: right here.

Second, Dinan was a good company and was pretty successful in racing for a while. However Steve Dinan sold the joint and joined chip ganassi racing, the team that's going to be racing the new ford gt. Dinan parts and street cars is owned by the same parent company as b&m racing, flowmasters, and another brand I can't remember right now... some people need not modify their cars and is best that they keep them as oem as possible, they don't need more than that nor will really utilize it.

Lastly Stuart doesn't really need to respond, offer an explanation, or try to defend himself in this type of situation, and there was no need for him to be mentioned in a thread that went nowhere. Stuart doesn't make outrageous claims, delivers on what he says he's going to do, discloses the results even though it may not be in his favor like when a part doesn't offer significant change, and actually does some testing before releasing parts.
I have VAP springs, VAP pulley (upper, lower coming soon), VAP software, and VAP cats; I can say this as someone that owed a high performance shop in west la working on predominantly porsches that he operates with a high level of integrity. His success so far on this platform has been well documented.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mpowerr:
DPelletier (05-16-2017), ndabunka (07-10-2017), zmoothg (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
First off of one wants to make outrageous claims, its best to get it done first and come back with proof. Promising arbitrary numbers without first making an attempt usually doesn't end well or go according to plan; exhibit a: right here.

Second, Dinan was a good company and was pretty successful in racing for a while. However Steve Dinan sold the joint and joined chip ganassi racing, the team that's going to be racing the new ford gt. Dinan parts and street cars is owned by the same parent company as b&m racing, flowmasters, and another brand I can't remember right now... some people need not modify their cars and is best that they keep them as oem as possible, they don't need more than that nor will really utilize it.

Lastly Stuart doesn't really need to respond, offer an explanation, or try to defend himself in this type of situation, and there was no need for him to be mentioned in a thread that went nowhere. Stuart doesn't make outrageous claims, delivers on what he says he's going to do, discloses the results even though it may not be in his favor like when a part doesn't offer significant change, and actually does some testing before releasing parts.
I have VAP springs, VAP pulley (upper, lower coming soon), VAP software, and VAP cats; I can say this as someone that owed a high performance shop in west la working on predominantly porsches that he operates with a high level of integrity. His success so far on this platform has been well documented.
As an early adopter and beta-tester for a couple of VAP's product developments, I can also attest to Stuart's integrity. This thread is not about VAP, but about GSR Technik.

DPelletier (05-16-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Yeah, one bad plug out of 8 spark plugs. So now all spark plugs have been replaced it been running how it's supposed to be.
Hi Moderator,

Can you please delete this thread? We already resolved this issue and can't really speak about it due to legal circumstances.

Thank you!

Hey JVIII,
I was at Jaguar Service Center - Newport Beach two weeks ago, and again yesterday. Noticed during both visits your car parked way out in the corner... collecting dust and/or jet exhaust from John Wayne Airport across the street. Service Dept. told me the car likely needs a new engine - and JLR is denying the warranty claim...

Could you enlighten the rest of the forum members about what is going on with your vehicle? It would be most helpful if others could learn from your experience, positive or otherwise?

I'm sitting on a purchased tune still in the box, and wondering if I should proceed or not.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
Hey JVIII,
I was at Jaguar Service Center - Newport Beach two weeks ago, and again yesterday. Noticed during both visits your car parked way out in the corner... collecting dust and/or jet exhaust from John Wayne Airport across the street. Service Dept. told me the car likely needs a new engine - and JLR is denying the warranty claim...

Could you enlighten the rest of the forum members about what is going on with your vehicle? It would be most helpful if others could learn from your experience, positive or otherwise?

I'm sitting on a purchased tune still in the box, and wondering if I should proceed or not.
Hey Mike,

This thread doesn't have anything to do with it. So I don't think this should be the right thread.

I will create a new thread to explain what happened..not until I sorted it out. It could have been one of the problems before with our engine..probably oil starvation. As usual JLR will try to blame it on us.

I'm working on this with corporate. In the meantime I'm enjoying my new Toyota 86 Special Edition as Newport Beach doesn't want to give me a loaner car due to warranty denials.

I miss the baby though. But I've seen a lot of the R's at Newport Beach.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM

But I've seen a lot of the R's at Newport Beach.
And an 86 is less common?

Old 06-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Shikatsu
And an 86 is less common?
I've seen a lot of R's on the service area. That's what I meant. I heard there's another R in Newport Beach that got refused warranty.