Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Jaguar F-Type East-Meets-West Tour

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts
Default 2022 Jaguar F-Type East-Meets-West Tour

Breaking this out from an idea proposed in the NorCal F-Type meet thread.

The center of the lower 48 is right by Lebanon, Kansas. From most of the coastal location on the US, this is no more than 1600 miles away. From many, it is fewer miles. Ideas are being kicked around. My thoughts are you build from a central location outward and have various meeting spots in the US until you get to the middle on, say, a Wednesday. Consider three main launch points from either coast and a few from the middle border states.

My thoughts: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Washington D.C., Jacksonville, San Antonio (or Houston) and Minneapolis as starting locations (spokes) with somewhere near Lebanon being the hub. From each spoke, there could be spots where spokes could intersect, allowing the groups to get larger as they get closer to the hub. For example, Starting in S.F., the whole trip is north of 1500 miles on the direct route breaking that into 500 mile days, that's three days, but I'd be interested in more interesting routes and would even be for some longer days to have more fun on other days. There really isn't much across Nevada and a wide swath of Utah except roads that are good for going distances. It could be planned to have people from Seattle meet up with the Bay Area crew on day 1 or two and then link in with the L.A. crew the next day. By the time we got to Colorado, for example, we could have all three spokes on the West Coast linked up.

Any interest or ideas?

Old 03-10-2021, 01:29 PM
Received 139 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd be down for this. I'm in DC area and there are a few of us looking to coordinate a meet up this spring. Would love to pull a small crew here and meet up west of Columbus Ohio or even Chicago. If you're looking for a local leads to help coordinate, I'd be happy to help.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 956 Likes on 717 Posts

I've motorcycled over a fair swath of the western US but east of Colorado, I've only made the trip once by road. It was not for fun and not surprisingly it wasn't fun. It's unfortunate that the geographic center of the US is pretty uninteresting from a sport driving point of view. Yellowstone and environs is spectacular but favoring the NW. Southern Utah is spectacular too, but also favors the West. I'm never been to the Tail of the Dragon, but that favors the SE.

Still, it seems workable, even if it's multiple separate events that manage to converge somewhere for a day.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:53 AM
BHF
Received 93 Likes on 42 Posts

Colorado Springs CO is under 400 miles west of Lebanon. I definitely would go.
Colorado has some spectacular driving roads for those passing through.
One in particular comes to mind. You follow the South Platte river for a winding piece of happiness and then come to a parking lot. After that lot the road goes right. There you put your foot to the floor and hold it there for the next couple of miles. The road opens up into a 2 lane piece of uphill sweeping wonderfulness known as "horsepower hill." I've never done it, because the speed limit is 55, but I know people who have hit 150 on motorcycles.
That's just a sample of the great back roads and scenic mountain roads that are a joy to drive.

Old 03-11-2021, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Colorado might me a good candidate for one of the converging spots. I was thinking something like Grand Junction is where S.F., L.A. and Seattle could all come together. It's not out of reach to make it to Grand Junction from any of those three placed in two days. From there, one day to either Denver or Colorady Springs and finally one more day to the middle. Those final two days would be in the 350ish mile range, each, which is much more relaxed. From either coast, it would be four days out, max. All in all, 9 days. 4 days out. One day in the middle, 4 days back. Of course, people could get back much more quickly by taking the main freeways, but what's the fun in that?

Old 03-11-2021, 08:29 PM
Received 139 Likes on 77 Posts

I actually like driving cross country and have done it about a dozen times. It’s been 2 years since my last trip so I’m about due. We could meet anywhere in the Midwest and I’d probably head to CA with you guys (on your way back) to visit some friends in SF down to SD.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds cool. Maybe people could meet at Dean and Sams bunker in Lebanon Kansas.

Old 03-12-2021, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

Grand Junction shows 14 hours and change by the fastest route. Playing around in Google maps was useless as it refused to bypass seasonal road closures unless I changed the date, but after a few intermediate points were added that stopped working. The Mapquest Route Planner works though. Adding a few points that force a route on roads I know to be more interesting shows about 21 hours to Grand Junction.

I've driven non-stop from LA to NYC with only a co-driver, but that was when I was young and foolish. I'm no longer young. I'd likely be solo for an event like this, so that's three days each way.

Old 03-12-2021, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Grand Junction shows 14 hours and change by the fastest route. Playing around in Google maps was useless as it refused to bypass seasonal road closures unless I changed the date, but after a few intermediate points were added that stopped working. The Mapquest Route Planner works though. Adding a few points that force a route on roads I know to be more interesting shows about 21 hours to Grand Junction.

I've driven non-stop from LA to NYC with only a co-driver, but that was when I was young and foolish. I'm no longer young. I'd likely be solo for an event like this, so that's three days each way.
I was thinking four days out, one day there, three or four back. Start on a Sat from the S.F. area and make some good time across Nevada. Sunday to Grand Junction. Monday to Denver, Tuesday to the middle. Wednesday find some sort of thing to do, then Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun home. The drive would be, of course a part of the experience. I can just imagine picking up more and more cars each day...

Old 03-12-2021, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I would recommend 2 days in KS or at least a day and a half. An event to two and gathering of what could be a sizeable number of us would warrant time to mingle. Would need a Kansas based coordinator of course.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Lebanon has a visitors center. We could meet in their parking lot. Hotels about 15 miles east or west of Lebanon. Small local hotels. Not a whole lot of rooms. Coming from the east I sure would like to stop and tour the Indianapolis Speedway.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Coming from the west I put two locations on the route to see how it came out. I put Lee Vining, CA on because there's a diner I like (20 years ago) and Escalante, UT because Hwy 12 from Escalante to Torrey is epic. Only done it on a motorcycle, but first on a Ducati 900 SS, next on a 748. Did I mention it was epic?

I've never been to Kansas but have heard that it's flat and straight. Don't want to belittle it otherwise as they may have some places to visit, but for sport touring it seems somewhat lacking. Kansas peeps are welcome to prove me wrong.

Old 03-13-2021, 05:57 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

St George Utah here.....can assist w coordinating SW Utah AND AN ELK STEAK DINNER w MOUNTAIN LION JERKY

Sparky H

Old 03-13-2021, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sparky H
St George Utah here.....can assist w coordinating SW Utah AND AN ELK STEAK DINNER w MOUNTAIN LION JERKY

Sparky H
St. George is about ten hours from here if take a really boring way. From there it looks like eight to Grand Junction by a route that includes a beloved stretch of mine. I've had elk a few times but would pass on the mountain lion. I could say something about being on a strict diet of vegetarians but in truth, I I just find them to be beautiful and have an affinity for cats. Yes, I know they would not give me the same courtesy.

How are the drinking laws in Utah these days? It was in St. George at a steak house that I demonstrated to the rest of the motorcycle tour how unusual they seem to us. They had a bar that wasn't a bar, and when the shot for my "shot and a beer" arrived, they took my beer until the shot was finished. After that, they politely returned my beer. It was also in St. George that I had to hit up an auto parts store to fix the headlight wiring on my bike. It had melted in Death Valley. Not sure why. It was only 126F.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

I'm in. Will start with the Minneapolis spoke. Any others MI, WI, MN

Old 03-14-2021, 12:04 PM
BHF
Default Colorado Day trip options

A couple different loop based on Colorado Springs:

Route 1: The southern route:

Starting out in Colorado Springs in the morning, head out to 115. This is a winding major road that takes you south past Fort Carson and heads to Penrose and then highway 50. On 50 you head west into Cannon City. In Cannon City we always stop a “Big Daddy’s” which is a 50s style place for breakfast. From there we continue on 50 until rt9 heads north. 9 is a winding route into the foothills that is beautiful. It takes you into South Park. Yes that South Park. You peel off 9 and turn toward Guffy. Guffy is unique to say the least. The road is twisty and hilly and has some great views of the back side of Pikes Peak. After a brief stop in Guffy we head to Cripple Creek. CC is an 1880’s gold mining town that turned to gambling. We usually stop to donate some money there for a couple hours. From CC we go through Victor which is another gold town that is still active. Cool old mining stuff there. From there we head back through Woodland Park and down Ute Pass back to Colorado Springs.

Very pretty ride. Interesting stuff. Light traffic in the outback and roads to let the kitty purr.

Route 2: The Northern Route:

From COS you head up UTE Pass to woodland Park. UTE Pass goes by the north face of Pikes Peak. Pretty ride. Take a right in Woodland Park up RT67. This is a winding nice 2 lane that takes you into one of the fly fishing spots along the South Platte. There are a couple of tight runs that can catch the unaware off guard. We usually stop in Deckers at the crossroads to take a quick break and let the newbies know what is next. Next you take a left on the road that follows the South Platte. This section is tight and twisty and really pretty. After following this for a mile or so you come to a parking lot on the left. This is a landmark for what is to come next. At this point those so inclined will take the bend to the right and go WOT. Shortly after this turn the road opens up into a wide two lane up and one lane down with broad sweeping turns. Welcome to “horsepower hill.” I would never encourage or do this sort of thing myself, but respectable speeds can be attained on this uphill stretch of about 3-4 miles. The speed limit is 55 and I have never exceeded that. You do have to be aware of hooligan motorcycle idiots blasting up this section well in excess of the limit.

After this section you go down through Buffalo Creek. Long straight down hill with a 25 mph limit as you enter the residential area. You do not want to speed at all through BC. Seriously.

From there you pick up the South Platte again and wind through the foothills. Again very picturesque. You then arrive in Pine. There are/were 2 places to eat in Pine. One on the Main road the other in Sphinx Park. Sphinx Park is cool. A small enclave rumored to have been build by escaped Chinese workers from the Transcontinental rail road back in the day. Its a bunch of cabins hanging off the canyon walls out in the middle of nowhere.

After SP you go back out to 285 and head east to Denver and back to Colorado Springs. 285 is a nice rare too and you can take a side trip through Morrison where Red Rocks amphitheater and Bandimere speedway are.

Both are pretty and very nice rides. I usually do them on a bike, but have done the southern route in the F.

Another area of Colorado that is spectacular is Teluride in the South West corner. I think this is the prettiest part of the state. A ride down the "Million Dollar highway is to die for.

Guffy

Guffy

After Guffy. Heading to Cripple Creek.

Heading to CC

Cripple Creek

1880's headstock in Victor

The following users liked this post:
Black15FTR (04-01-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 12:08 PM
BHF
Default Northern Route Pictures:

67 just outside of Woodland Park

67 heading to Deckers

South Platte just before Pine

Sphinx Park

Road to Sphinx Park

On 285

Old 03-14-2021, 12:17 PM
BHF
Default I don't have a lot of Telluride

Looking down on Telluride from the free ski lift

Bridal veil falls at the end of the box canyon. 4x4 or long hike to get here.

End of Bear Creek trail. ~3 mile hike from down town

Old 03-16-2021, 05:02 PM
BHF
Default Advert not kill

I meant the route descriptions and pictures as an advertisement for meeting in Colorado not as a way to kill the discussion! 😂
I will meet wherever the group decides but we have got some great driving roads here. Telluride would be a good choice too. The roads are spectacular there but fewer of them. Glenwood springs would be another good choice. Pretty town. Worlds largest hot tub. Doc Holidays grave. Short ride to Aspen and Independence pass.

Hanging Lake near Glenwood

Rifle Falls west of Glenwood

The following users liked this post:
Black15FTR (04-01-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

I could bust out some pics of previous motorcycle trips but I'd have to scan negatives. I wasn't doing digital yet on my last one. I think I'd bring about 30 rolls of film for a two week trip.

I think there are enough alternate routes to get pretty much anywhere central that it's worth brining up the topic of timing. I've been hit with pretty heavy snow in the Rockies when we were a little early (a sore trial on an air-cooled Ducati) and hit brutal heat when going a little late (also a sore trial on the air-cooled Ducati, and what led to the melted headlight wiring).

@BHF What would you consider a good window of opportunity for a gathering like this? You're close to the center point and also in the mountains. My recollection is that just after Memorial Day was a pretty good compromise. Earlier was iffy on the weather in the mountains, during the holiday weekend was a crowded mess, and too close to Independence Day can put one in some oppressive heat on the western side of things.

East coast folks, speak up. I don't have a good feel for the seasons over there. My east coast friends say I don't get four of them anyway

Quick Reply: 2022 Jaguar F-Type East-Meets-West Tour