F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Rob,

I could not agree with you more that Jaguar has a customer service problem in the US.

The customer service team is close to worthless.

My one real interaction with them was on the fuel filler issue. Having opened a case with the Jaguar customer service team, and waited what I considered to be an unreasonably long time for them to acknowledge it, I had perhaps the most frustrating customer service call I've ever had with their rep.

In short, she largely refused to acknowledge the issue, refused my request to talk to someone more senior within the organization, and from that point on kept repeating the phrase "If you are unhappy, you can take this up with the Better Business Bureau" ad nauseum.

It was without question the least premium customer service interaction I've ever had with a supposedly premium brand.

I wasn't overly bothered by the fuel filler issue, although I do consider it to be an inexplicable omission on US-spec cars. I was extremely bothered, however, by the astonishingly poor customer service.

I was basically and rudely told to go pound sand.

I am very happy with my F Type, but this interaction will weigh heavily next time I am dropping more than 100,000 on a car..... Jaguar sales are in freefall in the US at this point, and this brand simply has to do better to deliver a genuinely premium customer experience.
Wow - you captured my thoughts precisely. The car is fantastic, but dealing with people in the company is worse than pulling teeth. They genuinely think themselves above the customer.

Its a real shame as the design and marketing organisations are punching well above their weight only to be let down by a customer experience that is in my experience and opinion well beneath other brands I've engaged with. Then I see them win the JD Power award in the UK and I cannot fathom it. When I was buying the F-Type, the first showroom left me waiting 20 minutes to see a sale person when there were no other customers around - it was genuinely weird.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mawheele
Wow - you captured my thoughts precisely. The car is fantastic, but dealing with people in the company is worse than pulling teeth. They genuinely think themselves above the customer.

Its a real shame as the design and marketing organisations are punching well above their weight only to be let down by a customer experience that is in my experience and opinion well beneath other brands I've engaged with. Then I see them win the JD Power award in the UK and I cannot fathom it. When I was buying the F-Type, the first showroom left me waiting 20 minutes to see a sale person when there were no other customers around - it was genuinely weird.
On the upside, at least you got to talk a salesperson. At a local BMW dealership with very good customer care, the sales staff are referred to as 'Gazelles' by their colleagues due to their tendency to go bounding away if you try to talk to them. I couldn't even book an appointment or get my calls returned when enquiring about a Golf R at a VW main dealer earlier this year. On the upside, when they did eventually get in touch I had the satisfaction of telling them I'd ordered an F-Type...

Old 08-05-2014, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
I cover Tech for FOX, CNBC and a rather large number of publications I was thinking of pitching a piece contrasting Tesla and their S and Tata and the F-Type in terms of problems and service experience. I did a comparison piece awhile back that generated impressive on-line traffic and Musk is in the news again this week both with comments on AI and problems with the Tesla S. Contrasting the two firms, I think the Tesla has had more issues since 2013 but they handled them better (they have actually cycled out most of the car in some cases to keep customer satisfaction up).

Here is the earlier piece: Tesla S vs. Jaguar F Type: Practicality goes out the window | Digital Trends

I pushed it to the forum some time ago: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...s-tesla-99150/

I did a variant to a much larger segment here: The Jaguar F-Type vs. Tesla S: Amazingly Alike | Tech Buzz | TechNewsWorld

I was on FOX yesterday covering the Musk information (here is background): Elon Musk Defends Tesla After Getting A Terrible Review

My overall take is that Tesla is currently setting the bar with regard to customer care which is why their loyalty scores are so high despite their impressive number of problems. Tata, with Jaguar, has been much more like a car company with GM being the bad poster child at the moment. Ignoring problems like the lack of a locking gas cap, some apparently endemic issues like the center air vent problems, and disappointing stereo in the hope they won't reach critical mass. With social networks this latter path, as GM is demonstrating, is increasingly very risky.

Oh, and in case you are interested, here is the AI piece. Nothing to do with cars (yet, though once we get to self driving tech that'll change): Elon Musk calls Artificial Intelligence 'potentially more dangerous than nukes' | VentureBeat | OffBeat | by Tom Cheredar

Anyway if I post something on this or get traction on air I'll post an update.
Personally, I have not had any problems with any Jaguars, this FtypeR my third.
I've worked out the sound system to my satisfaction, although it should not have taken so much messing around with settings to get it right.
The spoiler is more of a preference issue.. don't want it up all the time for long highway drives.
Overall, a great car to look at and drive. I seem to remember that Jaguar scores are improving on JD power... the one issue that all companies need to deal with are the 'customer facing' issues and how to best deal with them. My own dealer is really quite good, but some of the posts on here make you wonder where some of the dealers are coming from.
I have been on other car forums and they tend to attract the problem's, yet a small sampling size, so I find it difficult to obtain a sense of issues overall. Over the last few years, on a Jeep site, if you read the posts you'd swear that all Jeeps are falling apart, yet with mine and others I know, its not the case.
Lawrence

Old 08-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 672 Likes on 485 Posts
Default Firt Post

I'm going to do a series on this in a number of publications because the I think most of the automakers just don't get how revolutionary Tesla's process is compared to virtually every other car maker. Agree with the above comments, the F-Type is great, the Corporate support sucks particularly for a Halo product like this is for Tata.

Here is the first post: How Tesla beats Jaguar with Applied Analytics

Old 08-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

I'm going to do a series on this in a number of publications because the I think most of the automakers just don't get how revolutionary Tesla's process is compared to virtually every other car maker. Agree with the above comments, the F-Type is great, the Corporate support sucks particularly for a Halo product like this is for Tata.

Completely agree with your article.. its really good!
In my case, the dealer goes out of its way to make sure I'm happy, they come and pick up my car, free of charge (I'm over an hour away) for any service that I need or want. If I choose to go in and hang around for service, I am treated really well and the car is assigned to the same master mechanic every time and he comes and sits and talks with me.
If I wish to not hang around they give me another Jaguar to drive.

Your article is really directed beyond the dealer experience and I can't say much about the Jaguar corporate experience, due to not having any difficult issues to deal with.

Hopefully the executive at Jaguar will pay heed to your article, as its at this senior level that they will have to get the 'ball rolling'. For instance, perhaps my dealer experience is the exception rather than the rule?

My dealer by the way is Metro Jaguar West in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and my sales guy for all my last three Jag's has been Domenic Bertucci who really jumps on any issue that I have.. everyone at the dealer knows me by name whenever I come in, which is a bit surprising as I'm normally only their once or twice a year. All this is certainly appreciated by me.

Thanks for posting this article.
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
DuhCar (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Rob, that's a great article. I agree with your position.

I have a number of friends with the Model S and they would share your assessment of Tesla's sharp focus on the customer experience. Tesla works hard to deliver a level of service and message that nothing is more important to them than their customer base and the customer experience.

I've experienced first-hand that Jaguar corporate (in the US at least) seems to prefer to give the impression that their customers are an inconvenience. That's not to say that the Jaguar product is weak or that Jaguar owners aren't loyal, but Jaguar seems to me to be doing a lot less to earn and maintain customer loyalty than Tesla. Loyalty can only be taken for granted to a certain point - and at some point, complacency will come home to roost. Customers who can afford an F-Type have a lot of options.

It's interesting how you position this with the PC vendor metaphor, as my own view is that Tesla view themselves as a technology business as much if not more so than they view themselves as an auto manufacturer. I'd agree that as we look forward, it's technology and customer connectivity/engagement that's going to be at least as important as engineering excellence to the premium car buyer. In that regard, Jaguar has some work to do. I'm confident they'll improve their in-car technologies, some of the concepts coming out of JLR show that they have a lot of things in development. I'm less confident that they know how to work with and stay connected to the more affluent consumer.

Last edited by swajames; 08-06-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Please escalate to jaguar via pm

All,

I have been in further direct contact with Jaguar Customer Services this morning. Apparently, despite reading all your comments, they are refusing to do anything about it unless you directly send them your specific issue/complaint via PM. I suggested that perhaps, they'd outreach to you directly to show they were trying to be helpful, but they will only do anything if you send them a PM.

Please take 2-3 minutes to send them an email as that seems to be the only way to help out your fellow owners on this issue and until that time they are refusing to elevate this to a TSB.

Whats the phone number for Tesla in London... I may be looking for it shortly.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Hello Mawheele,

Sorry if you missed my post. I did offer to help customers who has specific issues, I made this post on the 8/1/14 at 5:47.

It is very difficult to offer "generic" help as every situation is different.

As lots of customers on this forum will confirm, I am always here to offer assistance where required and needed.

Many Thanks

Mike

PD2911 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

I had sent a letter to Jaguar Canada simply offering that the sound system was difficult to sort out and that as a preference, the rear spoiler could be offered with a few speed settings. I also mentioned that I had ordered the full spare for long distance travel and thought I would still have the tire inflation kit (should have asked when I ordered the car) yet it came without the kit. Most of the time I expected to travel with the inflation kit only.
As well, as Mike had offered that any of us could PM him on issues, so I also sent him a similar note.
Jaguar Canada have just written me back with a reply that the spoiler issue has been referred to H.O.; New York office has called (I will call them back next week) to discuss the sound system and they have spoken to my dealer to sort out the spare tire/inflation kit issue.
I really appreciate the response from these folks ... I'm not expecting a software change for the spoiler just because I wrote them a letter, however it does feel good to be heard.
Lawrence

The following 2 users liked this post by Mulmur:
CRC@Jaguar (08-08-2014), PD2911 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I had sent a letter to Jaguar Canada simply offering that the sound system was difficult to sort out and that as a preference, the rear spoiler could be offered with a few speed settings. I also mentioned that I had ordered the full spare for long distance travel and thought I would still have the tire inflation kit (should have asked when I ordered the car) yet it came without the kit. Most of the time I expected to travel with the inflation kit only.
As well, as Mike had offered that any of us could PM him on issues, so I also sent him a similar note.
Jaguar Canada have just written me back with a reply that the spoiler issue has been referred to H.O.; New York office has called (I will call them back next week) to discuss the sound system and they have spoken to my dealer to sort out the spare tire/inflation kit issue.
I really appreciate the response from these folks ... I'm not expecting a software change for the spoiler just because I wrote them a letter, however it does feel good to be heard.
Lawrence
Sounds like they are doing the right thing. I hope this continues. My own experience wasn't quite as positive...

Old 08-07-2014, 05:25 PM

Another speaker question while I'm at it...

I've posted previously that the two rear speakers on the standard US system seem to deliver very, very little volume.

I've just realized that I also seem to have no sound at all from the speaker on top of the center air vent....

Can someone with the standard US system see if theirs is working?

Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Another speaker question while I'm at it... I've posted previously that the two rear speakers on the standard US system seem to deliver very, very little volume. I've just realized that I also seem to have no sound at all from the speaker on top of the center air vent.... Can someone with the standard US system see if theirs is working?
I dont have the standard system, I have the higher end system but on mine the center speaker only works if you change the audio configuration to dolby, dts or meridian's proprietary config. If you have it set to standard stereo it only uses the left and right speakers. Might want to try the equivalent on yours.

swajames (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by another_geek
I dont have the standard system, I have the higher end system but on mine the center speaker only works if you change the audio configuration to dolby, dts or meridian's proprietary config. If you have it set to standard stereo it only uses the left and right speakers. Might want to try the equivalent on yours.
Thanks - the problem is those settings aren't available on the standard system... I think they are specific to the upgraded system.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:19 AM
Kas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by another_geek

I've posted previously that the two rear speakers on the standard US system seem to deliver very, very little volume.

I've just realized that I also seem to have no sound at all from the speaker on top of the center air vent....

Thanks - the problem is those settings aren't available on the standard system... I think they are specific to the upgraded system.
Meridian Surround Sound System
770 watts (12 speakers)

Meridian Surround Sound System
380 watts (10 speakers)

The following 2 users liked this post by Kas:
F-typical (08-09-2014), ocstig (04-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

So based on Kas's post above, the reason you have no sound from on top of the center air vent, is because there is NO speaker there. A fundamental difference between the 10 speaker system and the 12 speaker system.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Rob, noticed your article got picked up by CIO magazine..... Nice work

Old 08-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Default Thanks!

I write for them too.

Here is the link for the piece (it is actually a ground up rewrite).

Why Analytics Makes Tesla Better Than Jaguar | CIO

Old 08-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by New2Jag
You cannot stream Bluetooth while the phone is plugged in which makes no sense.

And no. No solution on the speakers yet. Was hoping a few more people would post the same thing before I even thought of bringing it up. Sound is a preference and not something that can be 'fixed' unless there really is something wrong. I still think it sounds like crap for what you pay for. :/
Totally agree. I'm coming from an BW M6 convertible with their top of the line sound system and it sounded MUCH better in a convertible than the Meridian 770 sounds in a coupe! Love the car, performance, handling, looks, etc but pretty disappointed with the sound system. Mine rattles and distorts on factory settings (when loud) which should not happen.

As a tech guy the no BT streaming while your iPod is plugged in is simply bad design. No other excuse. I use a 160GB iPod Classic which I leave plugged in full time. Now when I want to steam via BT I have to open up the middle compartment and unplug my iPod. Makes no sense. Hopefully a firmware upgrade from Jaguar will fix this down the road as applications from the phone can still use the sound system (for example Waze issuing traffic alerts) while the iPod is playing so not a h/w design limitation.

Hope we get a dealer fix for the rattling speaker issue...

At least if these are our biggest problems life isn't too bad...

Old 08-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Old 08-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

There is an easy fix to streaming while charging. Just use the accessory cigarette lighter plug in the arm rest bay and put in a USB charging adopter. Plug your phone into that (you can get them to put out more power too) and you can both charge and stream.

I just got one of these for another car:

Amazon.com: [Certified by Apple - Lifetime Warranty] ACEPowerŽ Dual USB Ports 3.4A Portable USB Car Charger for iPhone 5 5S 5C 4 4S,iPad 4 3 2,iPad mini,iPad air Battery Power Supply for All Apple Device, Galaxy, Cell Phones, Tablet, Android Devices,
Thanks but that's not the problem. The problem is I already have an iPod Classic plugged into the arm rest via USB. I have an Android phone (HTC M8) which I mount outside and use with Waze and occasionally want to stream music from it over BT. You cannot steam music from bluetooth while the iPod is plugged in via USB in the centre console - you need to unplug the iPod for BT streaming to work which is ridiculous...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question