F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the original owner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Elephant in the room that no one has mentioned.

If you have an insurance claim- they will give you $8k less- all the explanation in the world wont help.

(I have a 25 year old car in immaculate condition, and paid in $25k to insurance company over the 25 years without claiming a penny. Branch falls on the fender and it needs repair and paint- they say they are going to total my beloved car as its only worth $500 {lol, worth $500 but they dont mind collecting $800 a year in premium} So I say go find me one with as few miles and original owner- and you can legally ask that- They could not, so gave me a big check for the repair and did not total the car)

The following users liked this post:
Misujerr (02-28-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:01 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
Strange things happen around auto dealerships. Cars get titled, or semi-titled, or placed in service under circumstances that boggle the mind. Usually the wrinkle is caused by incentives or bonus goals or some other dealer/manufacturer scheme. It is normally transparent to the real first user, until an issue comes up with the placed in service date or other warranty issue. Please keep us posted.
Common practice over here. Cars are on er regular basis "pre-registered" by dealers, often to meet sales goals/numbers.
But in general, these cars are sold for less than the non pre-registered ones.
I owned two cars before which were sold new in Italy, then shipped to and registered for the first time in Germany, whilst I bought them in Belgium.
Cars like these "float" somewhere in a grey zone in between new and second hand - though no of the two cars had more then 20 miles only on the odo - but come much cheaper because of this Italian/German trade.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:26 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey all, a little update here. I spoke with an inspector at the Alameda County DA, and inspector at the San Francisco DMV and also someone at the Milpitas (San Jose-ish) DMV. NONE of them seem to have any kind of answer as to "is this a new or used car?" And "is this legal?"
Not as black-and-white as I thought, I guess. So I guess the last step in this process will be to call back the dealer and ask them how this happened. I guess I will have to dial back my expectations of compensation too. Maybe I will ask for another year of CPO warranty? A whole lot of guessing going on there… thanks for listening.

Old 02-28-2019, 04:43 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Call dealers sales Manager, he will say that what they did was totally legal & that u got at great deal at $xxx off MSRP. You should adamantly tell him that u will escalate up to the Owner of the dealership, Jaguar USA hq, and online social media that the dealership "misrepresented " , "falsified" & "unscrupulous sales practices " in passing onto you the customer as a brand new car, with brand new warranty & maintenance . He will check into it & probably call you back to offer you a few years of extra extended warranty.

Old 02-28-2019, 05:26 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Misujerr, to add to NavyBlue's post, the act of punching your car was to ensure that the dealer (and maybe Jaguar USA) met sales targets to earn bonuses. Your car was punched for the sole purpose of earning someone else money (at your indirect expense), so you absolutely need to push for compensation. I'd certainly be pushing hard on the misrepresentation angle, maybe most specifically the withholding at the point of sale of information pertinent to your buying decision. Was it technically disclosed in your purchase contract? If it was, albeit with sleight of hand, do not let the dealer use that as an excuse. You may need to get some professional help at that point, though,.

Queen and Country (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Misujerr
I spoke with an inspector at the Alameda County DA, and inspector at the San Francisco DMV and also someone at the Milpitas (San Jose-ish) DMV. NONE of them seem to have any kind of answer as to "is this a new or used car?" And "is this legal?"
Call these guys.
http://www.californiaconsumerattorneys.com/
Auto Fraud Lawyer | The Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman

I will celebrate with you when its over, I smoke Cubans if you can get them.

Forgot to add, dont bother getting concessions from the dealer, remember they are trained by god in haggling and swindling, you dont stand a chance, start with JLR USA. They actually have the ability to give you concessions, they will simply clawback from dealer.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 02-28-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Misujerr (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Call these guys.
Glassey | Smith
Auto Fraud Lawyer | The Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman

I will celebrate with you when its over, I smoke Cubans if you can get them.

Forgot to add, dont bother getting concessions from the dealer, remember they are trained by god in haggling and swindling, you dont stand a chance, start with JLR USA. They actually have the ability to give you concessions, they will simply clawback from dealer.
Don’t hold out for a Cuban. Quality has declined precipitously in the last decade after a short-lived rally at the end of the last century. Only one Cuban is now left in the top ten. The quality of the best Nicaraguans has filled the void.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:15 PM

I FN love you people! Especially you Queen and Country.
Good tip on going straight to NA. I'm not exactly a "shrewd negotiator" (see Ed Bolian at VinWiki) and these guys are trained at it, especially a sales manger. Great advice from NavyBlue and swajames too! Good point about someone making $$ at my expense. I think what I will do next is talk to my insurance about whether there is a differential between new & used if it was (gawd forbid) totaled. And speak with some used car places to see if it matters to them too. That might get me an actual quantification of compensation needed. If all that doesn't get me anything, then I call the guy that Q & C linked.
Thanks again!

swajames (02-28-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member

Many privileges afforded to new car owners does not apply to used car owners, even if its used by just 1 month.
The 2 that pop out are; second owners dont qualify for Lemon Laws. They dont qualify for new car replacement insurance laws.
This is one of the reasons a used car depreciates very dramatically in the beginning, and later stabilizes.

Unhingd made me realize the Cubans are a gamble, lets smoke a box of JFR Lunatic.

Misujerr (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 02:23 AM

Yikes Q & C, those are HUUUUGE factors. Thank you again. Although it's over two years old now, so I'm out of lemon law zone I think. (I think it's two years in California?)

Old 03-01-2019, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

...lets smoke a box of JFR Lunatic.
That may take a month of Sundays. Those sticks are the size of baseball bats. (Good choice, though!)

Old 03-02-2019, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Those sticks are the size of baseball bats.
Yeah the silly fad of massive ring gauge cigars is an last ditch attempt to attract the new generation. Then they give it some radical name like 'Lunatic'.
Occasionally one of these clowns stumbles upon a good blend and size, the robusto is one of them.
However, smoked a 6x60 today from my long staple brand Dunhill, just fantastic and better than other sizes.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quick update.

Do you know how many bogus class action lawsuits there are against Jaguar.
There is one for the timing chain tensioner
One for the water pump
And one for batteries (yeah- bet Jaguar will never put a jag sticker on batteries again)

Made me think, all these fraudsters wanting to shakedown JLR, and you guys who genuinely have a claim are just huddling. What an ambulance chaser would give to find a group opportunity like this.

And get this for additional testicular encouragement, JLR asked the tensioner class-action be thrown out; on the grounds that 1 person and 1 problem does not constitute a class nor proven problem.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

ALL manufacturers (not just cars) are facing similar lawsuits.

Ambulance chasers, indeed.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Hi all, an update and another question. After five calls to the sales manager with no reply, my next step is (if I can access him) the general manager. When people say "go to corporate," how exactly do I do that? I know some reps used to monitor this forum but I don't think so anymore? I saw this on the Jaguar USA site, just call there?
1-800-4-JAGUAR 1-(800)-452-4827 Option Number 9 for customer service
But I'm thinking that is not likely to get me anywhere? Thanks everyone, you've been a great help & support so far!

Old 03-25-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Quick update.

Do you know how many bogus class action lawsuits there are against Jaguar.
There is one for the timing chain tensioner
One for the water pump
And one for batteries (yeah- bet Jaguar will never put a jag sticker on batteries again)

Made me think, all these fraudsters wanting to shakedown JLR, and you guys who genuinely have a claim are just huddling. What an ambulance chaser would give to find a group opportunity like this.

And get this for additional testicular encouragement, JLR asked the tensioner class-action be thrown out; on the grounds that 1 person and 1 problem does not constitute a class nor proven problem.
Suing for sport and profit is certainly a thing in the US. Most perplexing is the battery one you mentioned.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Hi all, an update and another question. After five calls to the sales manager with no reply, my next step is (if I can access him) the general manager. When people say "go to corporate," how exactly do I do that? I know some reps used to monitor this forum but I don't think so anymore? I saw this on the Jaguar USA site, just call there?
1-800-4-JAGUAR 1-(800)-452-4827 Option Number 9 for customer service
But I'm thinking that is not likely to get me anywhere? Thanks everyone, you've been a great help & support so far!
Yep, call or send a note to Jaguar USA. I had an issue trying to get my car ordered. I sent a message to Jaguar USA and within a day had several people from my local dealership returning my calls (where they weren't for 4 weeks prior).

Old 03-25-2019, 05:15 PM

Good to know, thanks Mahjik.
EDIT: Just spoke with corporate. The person said that anything sales related has to go through the dealership, so back to them...
Stay tuned...

Last edited by Misujerr; 03-25-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Queen and Country (03-26-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Thanks for any help offered.
Hope you don't mind, but I just emailed this thread to a brilliant guy: https://www.sportscarmarket.com/author/john-draneas
The article on Jerry's Porsche was great, and every month I look forward to his column, more than most. Not sure if that's paywalled or not.
But he does a column each month of bizarre or really complex legal things around autos.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Thanks Uncle!
Soooo, here is the latest. After five calls to the sales manager with no return calls, I called the GM of the dealership group. A few times. He actually got back to me, just now. And as expected, he said "you do have a new car, and in fact it BETTER than new because of the CPO." He also told me it is worth $40K (!) now. I'm sure he was looking at a strippy V6S for that, not my loaded one. Pondering my next move now.