F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to disable spoiler on ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, quite right and the same thing, but sloppy use of terminology in my post. However, it's nice to see another pedantic soul here.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I've been previously corrected that the spoiler doesn't actually produce downforce, it reduces lift. Pretty much the same thing, but not quite. Not that I have to tell that to an FAA guy...
+1. Thank you for the insight Mr. Bernoulli.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
I've been previously corrected that the spoiler doesn't actually produce downforce, it reduces lift. Pretty much the same thing, but not quite. Not that I have to tell that to an FAA guy...
No, no - it's for annoying the drivers of the Mk2 Audi TT...

Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by rocspo
Get caught going 75 mph on Rt 50 east of the Bay Bridge, and I guarantee you'll get a ticket.
Of course because the speed limit is 55 and not 65 as on the Western Shore, what is your point? I live on the Eastern Shore and drive to DC everyday for work on Rt.50, doing 75mph once past the bridge ... for over a decade ...

While I stand behind my speeding concerns, after further consideration, what really gets to me regarding the spoiler is that it smacks of trying too hard to be cool. The F Type already has coolness by the bucketload. It is the most beautiful new car on the road today, combined with excellent performance. It doesn't need a pop up spoiler, (which ruins its gorgeous lines), to be cool, and it certainly doesn't need one to stay on any road short of a racecourse. After all, my neighbor's Prius can cruise comfortably at 80 mph on any highway in the U.S. without the benefit of any aerodynamic aids.
Wait what?? The spoiler is not for crusing in the US but going at high speeds in countries where it is allowed. Would you rather have a special built car for the US that cannot go beyond say 100mph? Because you know we Americans will sue if somebody did go fast and died and we found out that the European version comes with a wing to provide high speed aero dynamics. Would you rather have a fixed wing? Do you read what people write? It takes you maybe 2-3 seconds to go from 70 to 120mph about as long as it takes for the car to recognize your speed and deploy the wing. This is for Jaguar's protection to provide a car that can do 186MPH safely where alowed. It is always mind boggling the attitude that if we Americans do not need it - nobody needs it. Sorry we Americans know nothing about high speed driving. I do not care for the track experiences here in the US they mean you learned and memorized a track, nothing more. Driving for 4-5 hours every gear redline to redline in traffic with cars that are sometimes 100mph slower than you are is what this wing is built for. I have seen a 911 lift off on the Autobahn because of not enough downforce/increased lift. If you go to a standing mile event or an oval and break 160+mph I am sure you would be happy to have the wing.
This wing is not installed for your coolness whatever that is but to maintain the lines of the car for most of the time and deploy the wing when you need the extra downforce/reduced lift. They did not design the car with the US market in mind where the car is driven 99% of the time at some 1,700rpm cruising.[/QUOTE]

If you are going to track the car, you should be able to activate the spoiler at that time.
Regarding spinning the tires, I assure you that switching to Pilot Super Sports will solve the problem better than any sized spoiler could.
I thought the purpose of this forum was to answer questions, share experiences, and to help each other maximize our enjoyment of these wonderful automobiles, not to pass judgement on the priorities of people we don't even know.
Most of the track speeds you reach here in the US do not really require a wing either, nobody reaches top speed on the straight aways (too short) and most turns are too sharp to require downforce as you are required to break heavily and downshift. It is nothing like taking a turn on the Autobahn at 150+mph.

The arguments are either cosmetic "I don't like the looks of it" - it was not designed as a cosmetic feature but as a necessity because of the speeds the car is capable of, they made it retractable so it looks cleaner most of the time. Looking at other Jaguar models including my XKRS I am sure a fixed wing model is coming like the XFR-S etc. Or about the chance of getting a ticket. Again there are retractable spoilers out there for decades. In the US unlike say in Germany it is the LEOs "word" that gets you a ticket. In Germany they have to have a photo of you (license plate and driver visible) and the radar speed, time stamp etc to give you a citation. Here the cop has a hand held radar detector or follows you or just guestimates what you are doing and writes you up. Then it is your word against theirs in court. There is never any proof by the LEO provided in court, his information comes from his notepad not from the radar gun. I got tickets here in traffic with a car in front and behind of me going the same speed, not switching lanes. He did not stop the car in front or behind of me because I was in the sports car. It is completely subjective how you get a ticket here. About as scientific as using chains in football when you are 4th and inches with the starting point and end point being subjectively decided by the referee and a football that is a foot long itself. So you are going over the speed limit in a flashy, noisy sports car and you worry you get a ticket because the wing is up????

I would peruse the Porsche boards to see if anybody ever got a ticket because of a deployed spoiler before making this point. I had three prior Porsches here in the US and a handful of them in Germany and I have never received a ticket because of the spoiler nor do I know anybody who has. Porsche has a auto deploy spoiler in the model lineup since the late 80s.

We are all hard headed and oppiniated. My opinion is not worse than somebody saying I do not need a wing at 70mph. A Prius by the way has a clear rear spoiler lip and is at the forfront of aerodynamic design. It does not provide reduced lift or downforce but a sharp edge to reduce drag.

Jaguar builds the "standard/clean" models first and comes with the fixed wing and added aero pieces later like the XKR-S GT. The Fixed wing will come. Feel free to change your trunk lid for a fixed wing.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the car needs better aerodynamics, after 250 km/h the car becomes a little bit unstable to the point that I am thinking of adding the design package on my car, to see if the side sills and the rear diffuser makes it more to the ground.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh my, I had no intention of eliciting such a caustic response.
Please allow me to clarify.

You said "nobody gets pulled over on route 50 for going 75 mph."
What you meant to say was that nobody gets pulled over for doing 75 in a 65 mph zone.
While I agree with that, it's not what you said, so I called you on it.

You also said, and I'm paraphrasing here, is that Americans can't drive fast, and don't drive fast on public highways. We apparently don't even drive fast on the race tracks - the straights are too short, and are all followed by low-speed turns. I guess you've never been to VIR, COTA, Sebring or Road America, but I'll let that slide.
it seems like you've done an excellent job of validating my point - we don't need the pop-up rear spoiler in America.
You did however do an excellent job of validating the need for one on the autobahn.
As soon as they build one on the east coast of the US, I'll be the first to reactivate mine. I never said, or even implied, that nobody needs one - I said Americans don't need one.
You said that Jaguar won't allow us to do it for liability reasons. ( which is what I suggested in my original post ). If I do it myself, those liability concerns disappear. Just as if I knowingly and willingly disable my airbags, I cannot sue for their lack of deployment in an accident. Judging by your willingness to put words in my mouth, let me make it clear that I do not advocate disabling airbags - just using it as an example.
I have in fact completed in flying miles, achieving a trap speed of 202 mph. Shockingly, it was in a car without a rear spoiler, just a one inch Gurney flap. if I decide to try it in the Jaguar, the rear spoiler will be deactivated - i'll probably pick up 3 to 5 mph without it.
As for getting a ticket because the spoiler is deployed, well, I never said that either. My point was, A. I'm driving a high performance car. B. I'm speeding. C. Do I really need a visual conformation of that speeding, especially if it's unnecessary? I think not. Your point as to the relative randomness with which police issue tickets supports my contention, rather than refutes it.
Thanks for cluing me in on the aerodynamic magnificence of a Toyota Prius. Let me provide another example - my grandpa's 1970 Ford LTD country Squire station wagon will happily traverse any highway in America at 80 MPH, with nothing but me as a twelve-year-old kid holding my hand out the window providing additional downforce.
Finally, the topic of this post is how to disable the rear spoiler - not whether or not it should be done. As far as I can tell, you have provided zero useful information.
If you like, I will start a new thread entitled "The relative merits, or lack there of, of disabling the rear spoiler", in which you can post till your heart's content. Until then, well, I'm sure you get the implication.

Last edited by rocspo; 05-31-2015 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I mentioned in a previous post that a mechanic at my dealer is going to work on a switch that will allow me to disable the spoiler with the only question at this point.. will it trigger a warning light.
Hope to find out when I see him on June 18th.
Lawrence.

rocspo (05-31-2015)
Old 05-31-2015, 04:27 PM
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

If he taps into the wire where the fuse is located - under left side A pillar, I would love to know which color wire it is. That would save me having to experiment. Please ask him, if you get the chance.

Old 05-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Let me provide another example - my grandpa's 1970 Ford LTD country Squire station wagon will happily traverse any highway in America at 80 MPH, with nothing but me as a twelve-year-old kid holding my hand out the window providing additional downforce.
Too funny!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

If he taps into the wire where the fuse is located - under left side A pillar, I would love to know which color wire it is. That would save me having to experiment. Please ask him, if you get the chance.
Assuming he gets it right, I will let you know.
Lawrence.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:06 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

...I would love to know which color wire it is.

amr42 (04-17-2017)
Old 06-29-2015, 06:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I managed to disable the spoiler by removing the motor connecter. U need a special tool to access it though.

The following 2 users liked this post by hoks:
BierNut (06-29-2015), rocspo (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Any dash warning lights or other negative effects?

Mulmur (06-29-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
Any dash warning lights or other negative effects?
Nope. When I tried pressing the spoiler button it says spoiler not available. Other than that no error msgs.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Only 10 months and 53 posts to get this far.

The following 2 users liked this post by plums:
amr42 (04-17-2017), schuss (11-23-2020)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It certainly isn't

It's purely for downforce on the rear wheels to maintain better traction at very high speeds. However, it really isn't necessary for street use in the U.S., except for illegal speeds which are grounds for license forteiture.
downforce/reduction of lift .. whatever

however you might find that it doesn't take much over the limit to
see the effect of not having it. especially in bad weather or crosswinds.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
downforce/reduction of lift .. whatever

however you might find that it doesn't take much over the limit to
see the effect of not having it. especially in bad weather or crosswinds.
Agreed, I like having it, but it's generally not necessary for street use.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

If anyone is truly interested, the F-Type has a spoiler. It spoils the laminar flow across the top of the car which creates lift (hence the spoiler reduces lift). The F-Type does not have a wing (some cars do) with the profile of an upside down airplane wing that causes negative lift (downforce). For further explanation, please have a chat with Mr. Bernoulli.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

As "plums" said, "whatever," the practical effect is the same.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:57 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by hoks
Nope. When I tried pressing the spoiler button it says spoiler not available. Other than that no error msgs.
Pardon my ignorance, but can't tell from your picture which of the half dozen wires you disconnected. Could I ask that you circle or highlight the wire and repost the pic?

Quick Reply: any way to disable spoiler on ftype?